Dallas Keuchel signs one year deal with Braves

SweatyFreddy

11 minutes ago, mqr said:

At this point I agree with you, but The chances Keuchel is more valuable than the pick they’d give up is like 99%

I'd say it's 10%.  He's signing a 4 month deal.  4 months is of marginal real help.

Edited by GreenSox

2 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

I'd say it's 10%.  He's signing a 4 month deal.  4 months is of marginal real help.

0 chance he signs a one year deal. Also I forget the exact number but there have been like 6 second round picks who have been worth more than 5 wins in the last decade

11 minutes ago, mqr said:

0 chance he signs a one year deal. Also I forget the exact number but there have been like 6 second round picks who have been worth more than 5 wins in the last decade

It's been dry lately but there were a bunch in 2010 and 2009.   The overall hit rate  in the draft is not good, but there are hits and you have to give yourself enough arrows.  A lot of great players came after the first round.

7 hours ago, Quin said:

I imagine signing both of them for the rest of the season would cost a lot more than that, just to outbid the other contenders.

By the time they sign the season will be ~40% complete. $15M with only 60% of the season remaining is equivalent to $25M over a full season.

7 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

At this point...we are a few weeks away from actually talking wild card. Add Keuchel, cease and a healthy eloy to the mix, and it's not crazy talk anymore...

It sounds crazy but allocate Manny’s $30M for this season to sign Kimbrel and Keuchel in two weeks and who knows what happens. Just need to get out of Minnesota this weekend with one win at least. Then the Sox have a real chance of winning 8 or 9 of their next 14 following the Twins series when you look at their schedule.  That would put them right around .500 in mid-June with possible reinforcements of Cease, Robert, Kimbrel, and Keuchel on the way. That would make things awfully interesting for the remaining 96 games.

7 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

It sounds crazy but allocate Manny’s $30M for this season to sign Kimbrel and Keuchel in two weeks and who knows what happens. Just need to get out of Minnesota this weekend with one win at least. Then the Sox have a real chance of winning 8 or 9 of their next 14 following the Twins series when you look at their schedule.  That would put them right around .500 in mid-June with possible reinforcements of Cease, Robert, Kimbrel, and Keuchel on the way. That would make things awfully interesting for the remaining 96 games.

Why would it be crazy?  The name of the game is pitching and we will almost surely have to go out of organization for some of the final pieces.  Lester wasn't home grown for the Cubs.  People wanted Harper for 13 years and said he would help market the team.  These pitchers would also help market the team.

13 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Why would it be crazy?  The name of the game is pitching and we will almost surely have to go out of organization for some of the final pieces.  Lester wasn't home grown for the Cubs.  People wanted Harper for 13 years and said he would help market the team.  These pitchers would also help market the team.

Crazy because the thought of the Sox beating out a dozen other contenders for both guys is hard to fathom. But yea I’d certainly do it and we know the cash is available to get it done. A bullpen with Colome and Kimbrel on the back end is mouth watering.

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

Dallas Keuchel or Craig Kimbrel aren't bringing fans out to the park like Harper does.  Not even close.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

At this point...we are a few weeks away from actually talking wild card. Add Keuchel, cease and a healthy eloy to the mix, and it's not crazy talk anymore...

Even with the above we're not better than NY, BOS, TB. We need to win the Central. 

4 minutes ago, bighurt574 said:

I wouldn't mind making a run at Kuechel to solidify the rotation the next few years, especially since we would have saved paying 40% of his salary this year.  

Sometime in the next year we are going to splurge on a front line starter.  Might be Kuechel or someone else but it will happen in my opinion.  The championship teams will have Giolito, Lopez, Cease, Kopech and maybe's in Rodon, Dunning, Lambert and Frare.  You always need 6-8 starters with the aches and pains of the season, etc.  We all can see we are just a little short in that area.

16 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Saw some stories at MLB.com where they are dropping hints he's going to sign with (who else?) the Yankees right after the draft. Guess they no longer give a damn about the Luxury Tax threshold (which they are already over...)

They got out of the multi-year penalties so no, they shouldn't care about the luxury tax for this year. 

7 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Which SP would you suggest the Sox spend money on instead?

Cole, Wheeler, Bum, hope Stras opts out or make a trade.  Kuechel is a 31 year old sinker baller with diminishing velocity that wants a 4 year deal.  If guys are b****ing about Nova on a 8 mil or 9 mil deal people would explode watching Keuchel in a year.

Edit: and heres the 2021 list 

Trevor Bauer, Robbie Ray, James Paxton, Masahiro Tanaka, Jake Arrieta, Marcus Stroman, Jose Quintana

Edited by BackDoorBreach

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

Sometime in the next year we are going to splurge on a front line starter.  Might be Kuechel or someone else but it will happen in my opinion.  The championship teams will have Giolito, Lopez, Cease, Kopech and maybe's in Rodon, Dunning, Lambert and Frare.  You always need 6-8 starters with the aches and pains of the season, etc.  We all can see we are just a little short in that area.

We’ll definitely need to add a pitcher this coming offseason, but at this point I’d rather wait for Wheeler (or theoretically Cole) to fill that void.  With Giolito’s development this season, I think the following rotation could actually be pretty damn good next year:

1. Wheeler
  2. Giolito
  3. Cease
  4. Kopech
  5. Lopez

The key here is to get Cease up here by mid to late June.  Let him get a half season of development in and be better prepared to play an integral role on the 2020 season.

54 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Cole, Wheeler, Bum, hope Stras opts out or make a trade.  Kuechel is a 31 year old sinker baller with diminishing velocity that wants a 4 year deal.  If guys are b****ing about Nova on a 8 mil or 9 mil deal people would explode watching Keuchel in a year.

Edit: and heres the 2021 list 

Trevor Bauer, Robbie Ray, James Paxton, Masahiro Tanaka, Jake Arrieta, Marcus Stroman, Jose Quintana

Cole: likely out of price range, Wheeler...meh.

I do agree on Bumgarner though. 

Edited by soxfan2014

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

Cole: likely out of price range, Wheeler...meh.

I do agree on Bumgarner though. 

We have like 25 million on the books for 2020. Cole would be cheaper than what we offered Machado. 

I honestly would rather wait for that 2021 FA class.  Give me BASED Bauer, Stroman, or James Paxton.

1 minute ago, BackDoorBreach said:

We have like 25 million on the books for 2020. Cole would be cheaper than what we offered Machado. 

I honestly would rather wait for that 2021 FA class.  Give me BASED Bauer, Stroman, or James Paxton.

We can’t afford to waste another year of our young core.  We need to start going for it next year and that means adding a quality starter to anchor a young rotation.  Honestly, I’m still kind of upset we botched this offseason because with a couple of impactful veterans we may have had a chance at the second wild card spot.

• Like 2

Whatever the failures of this season are...they are pitching based.  Unlucky with injuries to Kopech, Rodon and Dunning and to lesser extent Hamilton.  Goes to show you need to have and oversupply of quality arms to win anything.  Pitching and defense are still what wins baseball games.

15 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We can’t afford to waste another year of our young core.  We need to start going for it next year and that means adding a quality starter to anchor a young rotation.  Honestly, I’m still kind of upset we botched this offseason because with a couple of impactful veterans we may have had a chance at the second wild card spot.

The Sox are going to have to add a lot more than just a starting pitcher if they plan to compete next year.  Half of the current roster needs to be replaced. Very difficult to do that in one offseason. 2020 is very likely to be another tank/developmental year.

• knightni changed the title to Dallas Keuchel signs one year deal with Braves