Dallas Keuchel signs one year deal with Braves

SweatyFreddy

20 hours ago, ptatc said:

that's a different story. however all reports are saying he only wants a 1 year deal to hit free agency again.

It would great for the team if he would sign a multi year deal.

We need pitching and he is a pitcher.  Certainly I wouldn't overpay for a half  season guy.   Just pay half of what a whole season would have cost.  I would prefer a 3 year deal and I really don't think his posturing about a 1 year deal means much.  The right offer would get it done unless he's a greedy idiot.  In that case...I don't want him anyway.

9 minutes ago, poppysox said:

We need pitching and he is a pitcher.  Certainly I wouldn't overpay for a half  season guy.   Just pay half of what a whole season would have cost.  I would prefer a 3 year deal and I really don't think his posturing about a 1 year deal means much.  The right offer would get it done unless he's a greedy idiot.  In that case...I don't want him anyway.

Agreed, I would only give him a 3 year deal at his age, not 4.  But I think what Lip Man said will happen — a one year deal with the Yankees.

I have really warmed to this idea the past 24 hours.  Why give up assets in a few weeks for say a Marcus Stroman on a 1.5 year (~$15M deal) if you could get Keuchel at say 3/$40?  Shit, I'd do the 3/$45M at $15M per with the first season "frontloaded" in a way since he'll only be pitching half the season.  Would Keuchel really turn down 3/$45M to sign 1/$16-18M type deal just to hit FA again? Obviously FA will be different without the pick attached, but if he has a rough couple months or worse gets hurt, you never know what type of deal you'll be looking at in 6 months.

I hope the Sox at least check in.  It takes two to tango, and perhaps Keuchel has no interest in the Sox.  Merkin kind of hinted at that last night on twitter.  But why not get aggressive?  It gives the Sox a nice safety blanket if they fail to get Cole.  Giolito, Keuchel, Kopech, Cease and Lopez next season looks a lot better than Giolito, Kopech. Cease, Lopez and Covey.  Best yet, Cole, Keuchel, Gioltio, Kopech and Cease makes me go 6 to midnight.  

Let's make it happen, Rick. The money will be spent.  $45M is less than 20% of what we offered MM, and have virtually nothing on the books for next season.  Why TF not? 

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I have really warmed to this idea the past 24 hours.  Why give up assets in a few weeks for say a Marcus Stroman on a 1.5 year (~$15M deal) if you could get Keuchel at say 3/$40?  Shit, I'd do the 3/$45M at $15M per with the first season "frontloaded" in a way since he'll only be pitching half the season.  Would Keuchel really turn down 3/$45M to sign 1/$16-18M type deal just to hit FA again? Obviously FA will be different without the pick attached, but if he has a rough couple months or worse gets hurt, you never know what type of deal you'll be looking at in 6 months.

I hope the Sox at least check in.  It takes two to tango, and perhaps Keuchel has no interest in the Sox.  Merkin kind of hinted at that last night on twitter.  But why not get aggressive?  It gives the Sox a nice safety blanket if they fail to get Cole.  Giolito, Keuchel, Kopech, Cease and Lopez next season looks a lot better than Giolito, Kopech. Cease, Lopez and Covey.  Best yet, Cole, Keuchel, Gioltio, Kopech and Cease makes me go 6 to midnight.  

Let's make it happen, Rick. The money will be spent.  $45M is less than 20% of what we offered MM, and have virtually nothing on the books for next season.  Why TF not? 

Because it makes too much sense. Lol.

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Unfortunately I haven't heard the Sox linked to him at all. I think he'd be a fool to pass up a multi year deal no matter who it's from. Boras is the agent so I don't have a clue what's going to happen with him. But supposedly many teams interested.

7 minutes ago, Superstar Lamar said:

why would the sox ever agree to a one year deal?

Sure we are happy with the apparent progress.  Objectively, they are not in the playoff hunt.  We would be disappointed with the record if we thought they were a playoff team

I don't think anyone here is interested in a 1 year deal.  It's a 3-4 year deal that solves multiple issues for the Sox like needing a LHP, needing an innings eater, needing anyone competent to start every 5th day, etc., that one would think would be of interest to the Sox.

29 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Because it makes too much sense. Lol.

It does make a lot of sense on a multi-year deal, but if Dallas doesn't want to sign with the Sox, its kind of moot.  

1 hour ago, Superstar Lamar said:

why would the sox ever agree to a one year deal?

Sure we are happy with the apparent progress.  Objectively, they are not in the playoff hunt.  We would be disappointed with the record if we thought they were a playoff team

Teams won't be avoiding us because of current record.  Anyone can see we are very close to competing for the next five or six years.

8 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't think anyone here is interested in a 1 year deal.  It's a 3-4 year deal that solves multiple issues for the Sox like needing a LHP, needing an innings eater, needing anyone competent to start every 5th day, etc., that one would think would be of interest to the Sox.

It does make a lot of sense on a multi-year deal, but if Dallas doesn't want to sign with the Sox, its kind of moot.  

I’m interested in a one year deal.  Everyone thought this team was hot garbage coming into this season and everyone still thinks they have no chance.  Fact is there’s a chance that after tonight they’re a game out of a wild card spot.  And before people jump on me, I absolutely do not think they’re a playoff team right now but who knows.  What I do know is signing Keuchel to a 1 year deal and bringing up Cease may(MAY, PROLLY NOT) give you a chance to sneak into the 2nd wild card with out hurting your future at all, so why the fuck not?

6 hours ago, Rowand44 said:

I’m interested in a one year deal.  Everyone thought this team was hot garbage coming into this season and everyone still thinks they have no chance.  Fact is there’s a chance that after tonight they’re a game out of a wild card spot.  And before people jump on me, I absolutely do not think they’re a playoff team right now but who knows.  What I do know is signing Keuchel to a 1 year deal and bringing up Cease may(MAY, PROLLY NOT) give you a chance to sneak into the 2nd wild card with out hurting your future at all, so why the fuck not?

Yep. Only 1 game back with only one good starting pitcher the first two months of the season. Sox already had $31M earmarked for Machado this season. Why not use half that money on Keuchel on a 1 year deal? I love the idea of a 1 year deal because you know you’ll be getting a very motivated Keuchel if he’s set to hit free agency again in another 5 months. I’d like to see what this team can do the rest of the season with potentially 3 good starters in the rotation. Who knows, maybe it even takes pressure off Lopez and Nova as well. Let’s go Jerry, “the money will be spent” time to spend it. Talk is cheap.

36 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Yep. Only 1 game back with only one good starting pitcher the first two months of the season. Sox already had $31M earmarked for Machado this season. Why not use half that money on Keuchel on a 1 year deal? I love the idea of a 1 year deal because you know you’ll be getting a very motivated Keuchel if he’s set to hit free agency again in another 5 months. I’d like to see what this team can do the rest of the season with potentially 3 good starters in the rotation. Who knows, maybe it even takes pressure off Lopez and Nova as well. Let’s go Jerry, “the money will be spent” time to spend it. Talk is cheap.

We are .500 after tonight.  Time to start thinking like this and build from there.  We just might surprise a few people.

41 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I appreciate your enthusiasm and this season has me very happy at the moment, but I wonder if Keuchel would take a 1 year, $15 million offer.  I assume someone would have offered him that by now.

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I would stay away from him especially if it onky for the rest of this season. Chances are he is going to be a more than a little rusty, and will probably suck this season.

He better not if he wants to get PAID this winter. Free agent in five months, low risk signing for the Sox on a 1 year deal, guy that will be pitching with a chip on his shoulder because he feels disrespected by the rest of baseball. Sounds like a good combination to me.

3 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

I appreciate your enthusiasm and this season has me very happy at the moment, but I wonder if Keuchel would take a 1 year, $15 million offer.  I assume someone would have offered him that by now.

It was reported recently that he would seriously consider a 1/$18M offer. I’d float him $16.5M next Thursday and see what happens. If he gets a better deal elsewhere then so be it.

8 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

It's the draft choice.

• Like 1

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

It was reported recently that he would seriously consider a 1/$18M offer. I’d float him $16.5M next Thursday and see what happens. If he gets a better deal elsewhere then so be it.

He's the cheapest pitcher available since it's only money.  No Sox players involved in a free agent signing.  Top pitchers available for trade cost a kings ransom this time of year.  I fear he will have a lot of rust but nothing to lose except Jerry's money.

2 minutes ago, poppysox said:

He's the cheapest pitcher available since it's only money.  No Sox players involved in a free agent signing.  Top pitchers available for trade cost a kings ransom this time of year.  I fear he will have a lot of rust but nothing to lose except Jerry's money.

He may be a bit rusty but pitcher’s miss several months at the start of the season often (due to injury) and many find a way to be effective upon their return. He can’t be any worse than Banuelos’ 7+ ERA, can he?

3 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

He better not if he wants to get PAID this winter. Free agent in five months, low risk signing for the Sox on a 1 year deal, guy that will be pitching with a chip on his shoulder because he feels disrespected by the rest of baseball. Sounds like a good combination to me.

I don’t think his potential ineffectiveness would be from lack of effort. But guys usually struggle if they are signed late during the spring. Signing him now would seem to increase the risk he isn’t very good in 2019.

14 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I don’t think his potential ineffectiveness would be from lack of effort. But guys usually struggle if they are signed late during the spring. Signing him now would seem to increase the risk he isn’t very good in 2019.

Still...not much to lose other than Jerry's money.

55 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Call up Cease, sign Keuchel.

1. Giolito

2. Keuchel

3. Lopez

4. Cease

5. Nova

I would go to war with that rotation.

Covey might poke his nose into the argument if he continues to pitch like last night.  Yes...I know it was the Indians.

• knightni changed the title to Dallas Keuchel signs one year deal with Braves