Dallas Keuchel signs one year deal with Braves

SweatyFreddy

The more I think about this idea, the more I hate it.

In the Wild Card Standings, the SOX are behind Cleveland, Oakland, Boston, Texas, and Tampa Bay. Does anyone really think THIS roster, with THIS pitching staff, and THAT manager can overtake 4 of the aforementioned teams? Does anyone think that THIS team is better than any 4 of those teams?

It would be one thing if:

1. The SOX were already IN the Wildcard, and were trying to supplement an already strong roster, and
  2. The SOX already added Machado or Harper, and had extra ammo [i.e. Madrigal] to further supplement this team, and
  3. Kopech/Rodon were healthy & productive/reliable, thus necessitating ONLY one more SP to make 4 "reliable ones," plus an innings-eater, and
  4. There was more MLB-ready depth available in Charlotte, in case of injury/underperformance.

But, isn't adding Keuchel, and HOPING he quickly shakes off the cobwebs/becomes a 2nd reliable starter for this club more like the stooopid James Shields trade? On top of it, even if Keuchel comes here, we're still HOPING for 4 of the 5 teams ahead of us to stumble. Oh, and we'd be HOPING that Giolito continues to pitch well, and we'd be HOPING that no more major injuries occur [due to a lack of MLB-ready depth], and we'd be HOPING that Jimenez breaks out, and we'd be HOPING that the AAAA types and McCann continue to overperform, and we'd be HOPING that Renteria's moronic managing doesn't become an impediment to this team.

Did I miss any thing? Oh yeah: "Hope is NOT a plan."

What's more, I believe the SOX have had the easiest schedule hereto fore, which may explain any over-achievement so far. June's schedule looks like it'll be a killer, with or without Keuchel. 

Again, if this team were ALREADY IN wildcard position, with a competent manager, and with depth from which to trade, and a more-reliable starting rotation already in place, and MLB-ready depth in Charlotte, I might be on board with such a move. But, since this is the dumbest front office in all of professional sports, I fully expect those imbeciles to overpay for Keuchel, and then he immediately gets hurt.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

The more I think about this idea, the more I hate it.

In the Wild Card Standings, the SOX are behind Cleveland, Oakland, Boston, Texas, and Tampa Bay. Does anyone really think THIS roster, with THIS pitching staff, and THAT manager can overtake 4 of the aforementioned teams? Does anyone think that THIS team is better than any 4 of those teams?

It would be one thing if:

1. The SOX were already IN the Wildcard, and were trying to supplement an already strong roster, and
  2. The SOX already added Machado or Harper, and had extra ammo [i.e. Madrigal] to further supplement this team, and
  3. Kopech/Rodon were healthy & productive/reliable, thus necessitating ONLY one more SP to make 4 "reliable ones," plus an innings-eater, and
  4. There was more MLB-ready depth available in Charlotte, in case of injury/underperformance.

But, isn't adding Keuchel, and HOPING he quickly shakes off the cobwebs/becomes a 2nd reliable starter for this club more like the stooopid James Shields trade? On top of it, even if Keuchel comes here, we're still HOPING for 4 of the 5 teams ahead of us to stumble. Oh, and we'd be HOPING that Giolito continues to pitch well, and we'd be HOPING that no more major injuries occur [due to a lack of MLB-ready depth], and we'd be HOPING that Jimenez breaks out, and we'd be HOPING that the AAAA types and McCann continue to overperform, and we'd be HOPING that Renteria's moronic managing doesn't become an impediment to this team.

Did I miss any thing? Oh yeah: "Hope is NOT a plan."

What's more, I believe the SOX have had the easiest schedule hereto fore, which may explain any over-achievement so far. June's schedule looks like it'll be a killer, with or without Keuchel. 

Again, if this team were ALREADY IN wildcard position, with a competent manager, and with depth from which to trade, and a more-reliable starting rotation already in place, and MLB-ready depth in Charlotte, I might be on board with such a move. But, since this is the dumbest front office in all of professional sports, I fully expect those imbeciles to overpay for Keuchel, and then he immediately gets hurt.

And what’s the big loss on a 1 year deal even if he does get injured immediately? Jerry is already making record profits. I don’t think $15M or $16M for Keuchel will do much to affect that when team payroll is still sub $100M.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

And what’s the big loss on a 1 year deal even if he does get injured immediately? Jerry is already making record profits. I don’t think $15M or $16M for Keuchel will do much to affect that when team payroll is still sub $100M.

For one, if Keuchel signs a one year deal, it won't be for a team with a -50 run differential that he'd be expected to save singlehandedly. So, they'd likely have to overpay, most likely with years. Especially with THAT agent.

Signing Keuchel to HOPE that he'd miracle this team to the WC is throwing good money away, Yonder Alonzo -style.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

For one, if Keuchel signs a one year deal, it won't be for a team with a -50 run differential that he'd be expected to save singlehandedly. So, they'd likely have to overpay, most likely with years. Especially with THAT agent.

Signing Keuchel to HOPE that he'd miracle this team to the WC is throwing good money away, Yonder Alonzo -style.

We all had HOPE that the team would show improvement while we wait on the reinforcements from Cease, Madrigal, Roberts, Kopech, Rodon, Dunning, etc.. 

Those improvements came in the improved play of Moncada, Anderson, Tilson, Gio, Abreu & Garcia and the additions of McCann, Jimenez and Colome.  Others like Bummer & Marshall have also helped.

Now I HOPE we catch lightening in a bottle and find a way to improve the starting pitching.  Cease & Keuchel seem the easiest place to find reinforcements.  If there are others we should be considering I am very open to hear about them.

Having HOPE is far more fun than is it's just HOPELESS.  The negative vibe from some posters is taking the easy way out.  Saying "it won't work" is taking the easy way out IMO.  

9 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Singlehandedly? Wtf are you talking about? This team is within striking distance of the playoffs with essentially one starting pitcher through the first two months of the season. The Sox are on the verge of promoting a top 3 MLB pitching prospect and another top 3 MLB position player prospect in the near future. And throwing good money away? Is there any guarantee that the $16M they don’t spend on Keuchel is used for next year’s payroll? That’s a rhetorical question because we know the answer. I’m advocating for a one year deal only, which he is reportedly now open to. Anything more and I pass.

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Singlehandedly? Wtf are you talking about? This team is within striking distance of the playoffs with essentially one starting pitcher through the first two months of the season. The Sox are on the verge of promoting a top 3 MLB pitching prospect and another top 3 MLB position player prospect in the near future. And throwing good money away? Is there any guarantee that the $16M they don’t spend on Keuchel is used for next year’s payroll? That’s a rhetorical question because we know the answer. I’m advocating for a one year deal only, which he is reportedly now open to. Anything more and I pass.

We have got the piss slapped out of us by every good team we have played with the exception of an injured HOU and Yankees team.  Beating the Royals, Indians, and Tigers is fine but this is the worst division in baseball and we aren't even at .500.  We are 11 games out of first place.  "Striking distance" is hardly where the Sox are at.

23 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

We have got the piss slapped out of us by every good team we have played with the exception of an injured HOU and Yankees team.  Beating the Royals, Indians, and Tigers is fine but this is the worst division in baseball and we aren't even at .500.  We are 11 games out of first place.  "Striking distance" is hardly where the Sox are at.

Every good team not including Houston and Yankees, so you mean basically just the Rays and Twins then? Boston is in the same category as Indians, White Sox, and a slew of others hanging around .500. Striking distance of the wild card is what I said, not the division. And yes, 2 games back is striking distance.

Being in a crappy division and a mediocre league after the top 4 teams is exactly the reason that the White Sox have a chance for the playoffs. Take advantage of it while it is there. Get in the playoffs and anything can happen. How many people thought the 2014 Royals were World Series bound? That team was 48-50 on July 21 and even after making the playoffs were completely discounted by fans and experts alike all the way through game 7 of the World Series.

10 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Every good team not including Houston and Yankees, so you mean basically just the Rays and Twins then? Boston is in the same category as Indians, White Sox, and a slew of others hanging around .500. Striking distance of the wild card is what I said, not the division. And yes, 2 games back is striking distance.

Being in a crappy division and a mediocre league after the top 4 teams is exactly the reason that the White Sox have a chance for the playoffs. Take advantage of it while it is there. Get in the playoffs and anything can happen. How many people thought the 2014 Royals were World Series bound? That team was 48-50 on July 21 and even after making the playoffs were completely discounted by fans and experts alike all the way through game 7 of the World Series.

Talk to me at the end of the month.  If we are somehow still a game or 2 back it would be a miracle after June.  The Sox are over performing right now and have a negative 40 something run differential.

2 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Let’s do this!

I want to believe we can but I'm concerned about signing him if he's not going to be ready until July and we have a crap month of June upcoming.  I believe this team is improving quickly, but there's a good chance at the end of this month we're not all that close to being truly competitive come July.

I hope I'm wrong and I would like to see Keuchel in the black and white pinstripes.

I just really, really, really don't understand those who are concerned with "wasting money" to add to the 26th highest payroll in baseball.  Jerry has freaking money to spend and using it to sign Dallas, does absolutely nothing to hurt this franchise's future.

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

I just really, really, really don't understand those who are concerned with "wasting money" to add to the 26th highest payroll in baseball.  Jerry has freaking money to spend and using it to sign Dallas, does absolutely nothing to hurt this franchise's future.

^

23 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

Spending $15M or whatever on Keuchel could theoretically mean there is $15M less to spend next offseason. That is the rationale, though I am with you.

I don't think Keuchel makes any sense for the Sox on a 1 year deal.  2-3 year deal, I am definitely game.  Don't think there is mutual interest, however.  

30 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

“You can’t spend a dollar when you only have 50 cents.  Now Rowand44...

9A4E36C9-C980-4E01-A8FC-9FE5EA30C3D9.jpeg

Personally, I agree with you.  😉

Edited by Moan4Yoan

28 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

sure it does.  it would take them from the 10 pick to the 22 pick and still not make the playoffs.

the team is not good enough to do anything this year. so why waste good draft position next year.

this is assuming it only a one year deal 

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

“You can’t spend a dollar when you only have 50 cents.  Now Rowand44...

d2cf7d5b-55d9-4167-bc54-d2d6ca43dd15

Personally, I agree with you.  😉

Do you, though?

You complain an awful lot about the dollars due to a few White Sox, even though they're fairly small sums. 

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Do you, though?

You complain an awful lot about the dollars due to a few White Sox, even though they're fairly small sums. 

Yes, Keuchel albeit a little older than you want is a player who can produce more than the collection of stiffs Hahn usually acquires by spreading out his cash.  He already spent $32 million this past offseason that we would have been better off saving and signing Keuchel with.

I am all about spending larger amounts on a couple GOOD players, not spreading out millions amongst a bunch of veteran scrubs.  Hahn and Kenny have always preferred the latter strategy unfortunately.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

• knightni changed the title to Dallas Keuchel signs one year deal with Braves