Dallas Keuchel signs one year deal with Braves

SweatyFreddy

13 hours ago, poppysox said:

Mid tier talent is what we need.  Two mid tier starters and a Dye type right fielder.  We have elite covered pretty well...and really need some playing time together as Robert, Madrigal, Cease and Kopech adjust to the league and recuperation.  Note:  I'm not saying elite players wouldn't be ideal.

Marcell Ozuna might be that Dye type addition for us this offseason. He would be a really nice plug in option for RF on a three year deal. 

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

If Keuchel has a solid 3 month stint with the Braves then this is actually good for us. He would become another reliable LH starter on the FA market for 2020 when we clearly need to go buy one.

very much this. Unless Sox were going to sign him for 3 year deal...it didn't make sense this year. Best case scenario is he goes out and is solid (not amazing) and Sox can use him as a backup option if they can't swing the homerun on Cole. This also allows us to see Cease, get one last extended look at Covey...and hope ReyLo can put it together. 2020 is the appropriate time to compete. Twins being this good really put the damper on the false dream that they could compete this year. 

13 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Wtf does this mean? As opposed to an expensive rebuild? 😁

You go cheap until young guys are ready and then you strike on the free agent market for the big time starter or position player that you need.  I have no faith that the Sox will do this.

After the poor offseason it seems the rationale for going after manny/bryce has shifted.

do not want the white sox to just spend money to spend money, and stay around a a budget in line with previous just because.

I wanted an influx of young, cost controlled talent, and the use of additional budget to add elite, top of market talent.

I think I was one of the few who actually liked Keuchel in the offseason, but he was less logical the longer the delay. We can go after him next offseason if he plays well for the same role. It actually worked out better.

But I don't want them to go out and sign 5 mid tier free agents to get to $130 million just to say "see, we spent". That's how we end up as the 2015 white sox. That logic was the "if we just turn these negative war positions into just 0 war it's a big win!"

Not so much.

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

After the poor offseason it seems the rationale for going after manny/bryce has shifted.

do not want the white sox to just spend money to spend money, and stay around a a budget in line with previous just because.

I wanted an influx of young, cost controlled talent, and the use of additional budget to add elite, top of market talent.

I think I was one of the few who actually liked Keuchel in the offseason, but he was less logical the longer the delay. We can go after him next offseason if he plays well for the same role. It actually worked out better.

But I don't want them to go out and sign 5 mid tier free agents to get to $130 million just to say "see, we spent". That's how we end up as the 2015 white sox. That logic was the "if we just turn these negative war positions into just 0 war it's a big win!"

Not so much.

Agreed.  I’d rather see the Sox sign a couple premier players than spread out a bunch of money on several lower tier players.

13 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

You go cheap until young guys are ready and then you strike on the free agent market for the big time starter or position player that you need.  I have no faith that the Sox will do this.

When young players are ready, it's no longer a rebuild, right? I just don't know how you "go cheap" on a rebuild when going cheap is kind of the point. 

1 minute ago, TaylorStSox said:

When young players are ready, it's no longer a rebuild, right? I just don't know how you "go cheap" on a rebuild when going cheap is kind of the point. 

The Cubs signing Lester is the kind of move I am referring to.  Once they thought the team was ready to compete, they started to spend. I don’t see the Sox doing the same.  They will try to compete with mostly their prospects and not any big free agent signings.

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

The Cubs signing Lester is the kind of move I am referring to.  Once they thought the team was ready to compete, they started to spend. I don’t see the Sox doing the same.  They will try to compete with mostly their prospects and not any big free agent signings.

Once they thought the team was ready, they were no longer rebuilding. You're just complaining to complain. Par for the course...

19 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Once they thought the team was ready, they were no longer rebuilding. You're just complaining to complain. Par for the course...

You apparently can’t comprehend sentences.  My point is that even when the Sox rebuild is over and they expect to be ready to compete, I don’t see them filling any remaining holes by signing a top free agent or two.  They will simply try to compete with their in-house players.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

You apparently can’t comprehend sentences.  My point is that even when the Sox rebuild is over and they expect to be ready to compete, I don’t see them filling any remaining holes by signing a top free agent.  They will try to compete with their in-house players.

I'm comprehending fine. Now you're talking about when the rebuild is over? I thought you were talking about the rebuild itself. 

1 minute ago, TaylorStSox said:

I'm comprehending fine. Now you're talking about when the rebuild is over? I thought you were talking about the rebuild itself. 

You are ridiculous.  So there are no phases to a rebuild?  You aren’t comprehending at all.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

You are ridiculous.  So there are no phases to a rebuild?  You aren’t comprehending at all.

There is a rebuild. When the team is ready to compete, the rebuild is over. Unless, you think the Cubs and Stro's are in phase 8 of  their rebuild or something stupid like that. 

Just now, TaylorStSox said:

There is a rebuild. When the team is ready to compete, the rebuild is over. Unless, you think the Cubs and Stro's are in phase 8 of  their rebuild or something stupid like that. 

Fine, playing the semantics game must be fun for you.

So when the Sox rebuild is over and they are ready to compete, I don’t think the Sox will acquire top free agents to assist in a winning dynasty.  Do you?

I wouldn’t say the Sox have gone cheap on the rebuild but I would say that they haven’t used their financial flexibility to their advantage. They could’ve taken on some bad, expiring contracts for some more top prospects. 

2 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Fine, playing the semantics game must be fun for you.

So when the Sox rebuild is over and they are ready to compete, I don’t think the Sox will acquire top free agents to assist in a winning dynasty.  Do you?

Oh okay, you're making sense now. 

2 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

And what do you think?  Will the Sox pay for top free agent talent when they get to this point?

Did out bidding all other teams and spending 50 million on an unproven 19/20 year old Robert during the rebuild constitute going cheap on the rebuild?

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Did out bidding all other teams and spending 50 million on an unproven 19/20 year old Robert during the rebuild constitute going cheap on the rebuild?

It was a great signing but $50 million isn’t exactly a lot to spend.  Hell, Hahn wasted almost that much this past offseason acquiring lower tier players.

Herrera ($18M)

Alonso ($9M)

Nova ($9M)

Jay ($4M)

It was a great signing but $50 million isn’t exactly a lot to spend.  Hell, Hahn wasted almost that much this past offseason acquiring lower tier players.

Herrera ($18M)

Alonso ($9M)

Nova ($9M)

Jay ($4M)

Never said it was a lot of money. I was curious if you thought that agreed with your comment about them doing the rebuild on the cheap. 

4 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Herrera ($18M)

Alonso ($9M)

Nova ($9M)

Jay ($4M)

I hadn't noticed

• Haha 1