Dallas Keuchel signs one year deal with Braves

SweatyFreddy

32 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Ozuna makes a ton of sense as a FA target for RF. He shouldn't be crazy expensive, but would be a solid starter for us to round out the lineup.

We certainly could use a starting pitcher and pen help too. 

Is he though?  I liked him alot as an option before we drafted Vaughn.  Now 1B and DH are very crowded.  I do not want an OF with Eloy and Ozuna as 2/3rds of it for any more than 1 season.  This assumes Abreu stays around, which based on Hahn's comments a few weeks ago, seems pretty likely. 

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Is he though?  I liked him alot as an option before we drafted Vaughn.  Now 1B and DH are very crowded.  I do not want an OF with Eloy and Ozuna as 2/3rds of it for any more than 1 season.  This assumes Abreu stays around, which based on Hahn's comments a few weeks ago, seems pretty likely. 

Luis Robert has got to make Byron Buxton look like, well, Eloy if you're going to bookend him with those two guys, woof. 

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

Luis Robert has got to make Byron Buxton look like, well, Eloy if you're going to bookend him with those two guys, woof. 

Might need to sign James Beard and rush him through the system...gonna need someone with 80 grade speed to cover the entire OF with Eloy and Ozuna out there :cool:

3 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

You go cheap until young guys are ready and then you strike on the free agent market for the big time starter or position player that you need.  I have no faith that the Sox will do this.

The problem is the players they'd benefit from the most are gonna get mega deals from their own teams or the blue bloods. We are gonna be stuck in that mid major market hoping for over production. It is what it is, but I hope they can find the right fits. 

Edited by SonofaRoache

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

The benefit about Keuchel signing a 1 year deal is that he's a FA again in 5 months, and the Sox can nab him then if they want.  And no pick attached this time. 

If he pitches well then he will be the second arm on the market and out of our price range. 

6 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

If he pitches well then he will be the second arm on the market and out of our price range. 

I don't really think anyone is "outside of our price range".  The Sox offered Manny Machado a contract that could have paid him well over $300M a few months ago, and the Sox have under $20M committed to next season's payroll.  They can sign any FA they want if they decide to do so.  

2 hours ago, bmags said:

*whispers* I think signing Didi to man second base on a possibly reasonable deal due to his injury and age would be beneficial due to his power and veteran presence even though many would find it to be blocking madrigal, because I think it would truly provide us with the type of depth most good teams seem to have and I really like him

Really would depend on how Madrigal finishes the 2019 season. If he really finishes strong down the stretch, it's reasonable to think he may be ready for a callup early next season? 

11 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't really think anyone is "outside of our price range".  The Sox offered Manny Machado a contract that could have paid him well over $300M a few months ago, and the Sox have under $20M committed to next season's payroll.  They can sign any FA they want if they decide to do so.  

There is a reason the Sox offered a deal to MM that COULD HAVE paid him well over 300 million instead of paying him 300 million. The big boys pay the big bucks needed to land the big fish. We must prove that we will as well. Can we outbid the Yankees and Dodgers?

20 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

There is a reason the Sox offered a deal to MM that COULD HAVE paid him well over 300 million instead of paying him 300 million. The big boys pay the big bucks needed to land the big fish. We must prove that we will as well. Can we outbid the Yankees and Dodgers?

Sox won't be able to cry poor this offseason. If they do not resign Abreu the payroll will be at around $30 million going into 2020. They have a TON of money to spend before they would even be close to league average. 

Why is everyone so fixated on signing THE premier free agent in order for the rebuild to work? How often do the top free agent signings actually pan out? Sure there are examples where it has but I’d wager that more than half of the top signings over the last two decades ended up being regrettable within a couple years of the signing.

29 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Really would depend on how Madrigal finishes the 2019 season. If he really finishes strong down the stretch, it's reasonable to think he may be ready for a callup early next season? 

I would do it regardless, tbh.

5 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Why is everyone so fixated on signing THE premier free agent in order for the rebuild to work? How often do the top free agent signings actually pan out? Sure there are examples where it has but I’d wager that more than half of the top signings over the last two decades ended up being regrettable within a couple years of the signing.

Didn't Hahn say numerous times that the White Sox would sign a premier free agent this past off season? I knew it was BS and he probably should not have said anything. He would have been better off. He upset the White Sox fan base when he didn't sign Machado or Harper.

Edited by WBWSF

6 hours ago, WBWSF said:

Times have changed, that's for sure. Years ago if the team was bad it didn't draw and the team lost money. Today you lose and with low payrolls you make nothing but money. Always remember that Forbes magazine said the White Sox were the 6th most profitable team in MLB in 2018. This losing year after year and the franchise making nothing but money doesn't  cut it with me. I dearly wish that JR would sell the team.

I suspect that Estate Law will drive JR's decision concerning selling the team.  He's a tax attorney and I'm sure has had his departure worked out years in advance.

5 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Didn't Hahn say numerous times that the White Sox would sign a premier free agent this past off season? I knew it was BS and he probably should not have said anything. He would have been better off. He upset the White Sox fan base when he didn't sign Machado or Harper.

He said they would actively pursue them but I don’t recall him saying they would for sure sign one (link a quote if he did, maybe I missed it). 

Even if he did, who cares? That’s not the only way to build a winner. Often times the premier FA signings have backfired more than they’ve helped (from a production to cost basis).

Just need to start signing the second tier guys over the next several seasons. Like i said the Cain’s and Brantley’s of the world. And those guys aren’t cheap either by any means ($16M AAV) but they also likely won’t hamstring a mid market franchise like a $300M contract that goes south could.

4 hours ago, steveno89 said:

Marcell Ozuna might be that Dye type addition for us this offseason. He would be a really nice plug in option for RF on a three year deal. 

He fits the bill for me.  I know some want a lefty.  That might be best but I'll settle for best all around player.  I want a good defender because you can't have two Eloy's in your outfield.

I sometimes wonder if we've given Cordell enough of a chance.  He actually is a 5 tool player but none of the tools are elite.  He also has no glaring weakness that stands out under such limited play.

11 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I think with this past offseason it was about opportunity. In most years we will get outbid by about 7 other teams. This year we just needed to beat the Padres and Phillies for two guys who probably preferred to play in Chicago. We need to acquire one good starting arm and 3 solid/good bats. Having premium players increases your odds of being really good and can also make up for potential busts. Had we signed Machado, Moncada could have stayed at second and we could have used Magdrical as a trade chip to acquire a good starting pitcher on a non contending team. 

5 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I think with this past offseason it was about opportunity. In most years we will get outbid by about 7 other teams. This year we just needed to beat the Padres and Phillies for two guys who probably preferred to play in Chicago. We need to acquire one good starting arm and 3 solid/good bats. Having premium players increases your odds of being really good and can also make up for potential busts. Had we signed Machado, Moncada could have stayed at second and we could have used Magdrical as a trade chip to acquire a good starting pitcher on a non contending team. 

But are the Sox a better team with Machado or Brantley + Cain? Money is about equal this year and next. My point is there is a path to success even with the second tier guys, which the Sox have almost NEVER signed over the past two decades so even doing that would be a big step up and provide them with much better odds of finding productive players. 

For reference, the two I mentioned above are making $16M AAV. The Sox have paid TWO players $16M or more in a season in the history of the franchise - Peavy (twice) and Abreu (once, this season). So the Sox have basically very rarely or almost never signed guys from the second tier of free agents. I’m looking to guys like JDM, Madbum, Gregorius, etc as that second tier in the upcoming FA class.

4 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

But are the Sox a better team with Machado or Brantley + Cain? Money is about equal this year and next. My point is there is a path to success even with the second tier guys, which the Sox have almost NEVER signed over the past two decades so even doing that would be a big step up and provide them with much better odds of finding productive players. 

For reference, the two I mentioned above are making $16M AAV. The Sox have paid TWO players $16M or more in a season in the history of the franchise - Peavy (twice) and Abreu (once, this season). So the Sox have basically very rarely or almost never signed guys from the second tier of free agents. I’m looking to guys like JDM, Madbum, Gregorius, etc as that second tier in the upcoming FA class.

I would have taken Brantley / Cain every time with the guys currently in our system.

16 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Brantley and Cain may not have come here unless we overpaid them by a wide margin. We know Machado wanted to be here and he solves three problems. 1. The need for a Hall of fame talent. 2. Moncada stays at 2nd. 3. No early season terrible Yolmer. And a bonus is being able to trade Magdrical for a TOR arm. 

Add in fans being excited and spending money with us probably being. 500 right now and it would have been good value. I understand the premise of big contracts not working but we needed this dude and would have really told the baseball world we are coming. Those second tier guys you mention are gonna cost us 20 to 25 million or more next year when we could have had Manny at 30. 

Edited by SonofaRoache

13 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I would have taken Brantley / Cain every time with the guys currently in our system.

Machado would have been good for 6-7 years. There is a reason people prioritized him. Trying to get a productive next year on the second tier market in free agency is walking in a mine field.