Dallas Keuchel signs one year deal with Braves

SweatyFreddy

Just now, bmags said:

Machado would have been good for 6-7 years. There is a reason people prioritized him. Trying to get a productive next year on the second tier market in free agency is walking in a mine field. 

Brantley and Cain may not have wanted to be here as well. No way we get them on those deals. 

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

Brantley and Cain may not have wanted to be here as well. No way we get them on those deals. 

Nobody wanted either of those guys except the teams they want to. And last I checked, Milwaukee isn't exactly the most attractive destination in the world. 

Edited by mqr

19 minutes ago, bmags said:

Machado would have been good for 6-7 years. There is a reason people prioritized him. Trying to get a productive next year on the second tier market in free agency is walking in a mine field. 

Why is this such a certainty in everyone’s minds? Have you seen his performance so far this year?

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

There is a reason the Sox offered a deal to MM that COULD HAVE paid him well over 300 million instead of paying him 300 million. The big boys pay the big bucks needed to land the big fish. We must prove that we will as well. Can we outbid the Yankees and Dodgers?

I didn't know the Padres were big boys.

Fine, use $250M if you prefer.  That is more than enough to land any single FA they want this offseason. My point remains.  

26 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Why is this such a certainty in everyone’s minds? Have you seen his performance so far this year?

Because age is a thing, he is a player with established production, and you are talking in retrospect about signing two of the more successful free agents who were 32 and 33 years old. If you are constantly buying free agents for their next year of production when they are 30 plus, you are going to end up with a substantial part of your budget on declining players who may turn into pumpkins all at once.

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

Because age is a thing, he is a player with established production, and you are talking in retrospect about signing two of the more successful free agents who were 32 and 33 years old. If you are constantly buying free agents for their next year of production when they are 30 plus, you are going to end up with a substantial part of your budget on declining players who may turn into pumpkins all at once.

If it’s such a certainty that he will be an all star caliber player (many say HOF) over the next 6-7 years, why is he performing so poorly in his age 26/27 season almost half into the season? I mean based on the age argument he should be peaking as a hitter right now correct? He’s on pace for his worst offensive season of his career.

8 hours ago, poppysox said:

I don't disagree...only pointing out the era is different.  We became baseball fans in an era where Cubs had Ernie Banks and many other quality players.  Even though they were in last place...they just didn't consider trading the teams star.  The Sale trade would not happen no matter the offer.  We of course did trade players like Norm Cash and Earl Battey to the chagrin of many White Sox fans.

John Romano and Johnny Callison. DFA Denny McClain who was a local. But trading TJ for Dick Allen was fine. Traded Looie a couple times. 

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

Brantley and Cain may not have come here unless we overpaid them by a wide margin. We know Machado wanted to be here and he solves three problems. 1. The need for a Hall of fame talent. 2. Moncada stays at 2nd. 3. No early season terrible Yolmer. And a bonus is being able to trade Magdrical for a TOR arm. 

Add in fans being excited and spending money with us probably being. 500 right now and it would have been good value. I understand the premise of big contracts not working but we needed this dude and would have really told the baseball world we are coming. Those second tier guys you mention are gonna cost us 20 to 25 million or more next year when we could have had Manny at 30. 

I want no part of trading Madrigal.  He's going to be a good one.  Moncada is a better third baseman than he was ever going to be a second baseman.  If I was going to get one of Machado or Harper...Harper would have been my choice.

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

I want no part of trading Madrigal.  He's going to be a good one.  Moncada is a better third baseman than he was ever going to be a second baseman.  If I was going to get one of Machado or Harper...Harper would have been my choice.

Harper was my 1 as well but Machado was the likeliest for us. I don't like the idea of trading Nick but for Manny and a TOR arm that fits our rebuild it is worth it. If Nick turns into a HOF I wouldn't regret it because Manny is one as well. 

20 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Harper was my 1 as well but Machado was the likeliest for us. I don't like the idea of trading Nick but for Manny and a TOR arm that fits our rebuild it is worth it. If Nick turns into a HOF I wouldn't regret it because Manny is one as well. 

Actually he’s not. He has a long way to go still.

10 hours ago, poppysox said:

I don't disagree...only pointing out the era is different.  We became baseball fans in an era where Cubs had Ernie Banks and many other quality players.  Even though they were in last place...they just didn't consider trading the teams star.  The Sale trade would not happen no matter the offer.  We of course did trade players like Norm Cash and Earl Battey to the chagrin of many White Sox fans.

I think you supported my thought. Chris Sale leaves Chicago, his only team, and goes to Boston. Boston makes that trade because they feel they will keep Sale when his contract runs out in a few years. Sale loves Boston and now they extend him. Hopefully we can gamble on some FA or trade for a player and make the White Sox a place where guys want to stay. 

1 hour ago, pcq said:

John Romano and Johnny Callison. DFA Denny McClain who was a local. But trading TJ for Dick Allen was fine. Traded Looie a couple times. 

They had to because of the rules in place at the time for bonus babies. It came down to McClain or Bruce Howard. Both were bonus babies, they had a "pitch off" Howard won the game 2-1 and was promoted to Double A Lynchburg. Another one of those "what if's." 

7 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

I wouldn’t say the Sox have gone cheap on the rebuild but I would say that they haven’t used their financial flexibility to their advantage. They could’ve taken on some bad, expiring contracts for some more top prospects. 

We will have an orderly rebuild at 35th and Shields. Spending beaucoup bux on marketing value of FA's is not a well-grounded theory. We need innovators in the field of injury analytics to move forward and dominate. 

2 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

If it’s such a certainty that he will be an all star caliber player (many say HOF) over the next 6-7 years, why is he performing so poorly in his age 26/27 season almost half into the season? I mean based on the age argument he should be peaking as a hitter right now correct? He’s on pace for his worst offensive season of his career.

I think Manny's numbers would look like much in our park as opposed to San Diego's. 

4 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

They had to because of the rules in place at the time bonus babies. It came down to McClain or Bruce Howard. Both were bonus babies, they had a "pitch off" Howard won the game 2-1 and was promoted to Double A Lynchburg. Another one of those "what if's." 

Well a decision had to be made and one stayed healthy for far longer and could have been team organist on his days off. Typical Sox fashion and I was actually a Tiger fan at the time. I also adopted Norm Cash because anyone could be a Kaline fan. My first game was at Comiskey by the RF corner next to Kaline. 

4 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I think Manny's numbers would look like much in our park as opposed to San Diego's. 

One problem when you overpay it's a setup for disappointment. The whiny b's here would have had a field day. All kinds of naughty words. 

1 minute ago, pcq said:

One problem when you overpay it's a setup for disappointment. The whiny b's here would have had a field day. All kinds of naughty words. 

I can’t even imagine. Moan4Yoan would be having a field day with Hahn. “Just look at this idiot, he paid $300M for a below average regular!”

17 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

They had to because of the rules in place at the time for bonus babies. It came down to McClain or Bruce Howard. Both were bonus babies, they had a "pitch off" Howard won the game 2-1 and was promoted to Double A Lynchburg. Another one of those "what if's." 

As team historian why does no one but me mention the 64 team that was outstanding. 

24 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I can’t even imagine. Moan4Yoan would be having a field day with Hahn. “Just look at this idiot, he paid $300M for a below average regular!”

It's so easy to criticize but to me it's kind of juvenile and thoughtless . No one forced us to follow the Sox. I have had only one issue with the owner and it is not about baseball. 

48 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

As opposed to blowing money on garbage like we have been? I know we get on them for mistakes but this is one we'd just have to bite. His worst case is what we see now.  .246 10 Homer's and good defense. I think a nice chunk of the salary would have been made up by not signing his friends and fan support.