Dallas Keuchel signs one year deal with Braves

SweatyFreddy

18 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Source? Not disputing just wondering where you heard that.

I could've sworn I saw that he was only interested in a 1 year deal with a contender in an article on the Athletic by Ken Rosenthal 

EDIT: maybe it was MLBTR I'll try to find it. 

I know I saw it somewhere I can't find it though.

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

I would love to know who it was it that first said to RH that the Sox should take a look at Alonso.  Was it KW, some scout or maybe RH himself?  That person should be found and never let into a talent meeting again.  On the other hand...find who first suggested McCann and promote him and never hold a closed door meeting about possible acquisitions without having him in the room.

I believe it was Manny Machado.

3 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

The Sox signing Keuchel would make all the sense in the world which is why it won't happen.

why would it make sense?

with him what is the realistic record for the team? Slightly above .500?

he will get at best about 17 starts. there really isn't much advantage  to that other than a worse draft pick.

I'm not necessarily against it as it would probably be good press but it really won't help the team much.

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

why would it make sense?

he will get at best about 17 starts. there really isn't much advantage  to that other than a worse draft pick.

I'm not necessarily against it as it would probably be good press but it really won't help the team much.

On a 1-year deal it would not (not that I would care that much if they did do a one year deal to be honest). But if you could do 3-4 years (counting this one), then I would probably do it. 

Edited by soxfan2014

8 minutes ago, ptatc said:

why would it make sense?

I'm talking about if they signed him for 2 or 3 years. Keuchel is quality left hander with playoff experience who can slot in behind Giolito in the rotation. That is exactly what the Sox need. 

Edited by Whitesox27

1 minute ago, Whitesox27 said:

I'm talking about it they signed him for 2 or 3 years. A quality left hander with playoff experience who can slot in behind Giolito in the rotation. That is exactly what the Sox need. 

that's a different story. however all reports are saying he only wants a 1 year deal to hit free agency again.

It would great for the team if he would sign a multi year deal.

28 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

I'm talking about if they signed him for 2 or 3 years. Keuchel is quality left hander with playoff experience who can slot in behind Giolito in the rotation. That is exactly what the Sox need. 

Keuchel is going to have a list of suitors in a few days.  Why would he pick the Sox?  If the Sox can get him on like a 3 year $40M deal (including this year), sure I'd do it. But I am guessing he'll have more attractive offers from teams that are contending this season.   

51 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Keuchel is going to have a list of suitors in a few days.  Why would he pick the Sox?  If the Sox can get him on like a 3 year $40M deal (including this year), sure I'd do it. But I am guessing he'll have more attractive offers from teams that are contending this season.   

If they offer him the most $$$.

4 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

If they offer him the most $$$.

Do you really want the Sox offering Keuchel the most money?  If the most money is 3/$40M like I said.  Sure, I'd be cool with that.  But like a 4 year $70-75M type deal would not end well.  Not to mention 1/3 of this season is gone, and at least 1/2 will be gone by the time he's able to actually pitch.  He's going to need a few weeks in the minors at least.  

I am not against Keuchel, but it all depends on where the bidding ends up.  Tough to handicap right now.  Also if he just wants a 1 year deal, it makes no sense for the Sox. 

17 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Do we have any evidence that Machado actually asked the Sox to trade for Alonso and sign Jay? 

yes. we have signed affidavits that said Manny requested the Sox acquire his friends.

that a joke by the way. so was the previous post.

it was discussed at the time that the only reason the Six acquired both Alonso and Jay was to tempt Manny. Who knows if it was true. Sounds plausible though.

My logic against signing Keuchel:

If it is a multi year deal, you are giving up the chance to sign Cole/Madbum/etc, since we already have Gio/Kopech/Lopez/Cease (I am fine giving lopez until at least Rodon gets back)

If it is a single year deal, you are spending money that may be more useful this winter to chase a playoff berth that IMO opinion is still out of reach for us. Also, I doubt he wants to take a rebound contract for an AL team that has very little playoffs chance and plays in a hitter friendly park.

I would still be happy if they sign him, just so I don't have to watch one of Banuelos or Covey anymore. But I don't think it is a good move.

2 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

My logic against signing Keuchel:

If it is a multi year deal, you are giving up the chance to sign Cole/Madbum/etc, since we already have Gio/Kopech/Lopez/Cease (I am fine giving lopez until at least Rodon gets back)

If it is a single year deal, you are spending money that may be more useful this winter to chase a playoff berth that IMO opinion is still out of reach for us. Also, I doubt he wants to take a rebound contract for an AL team that has very little playoffs chance and plays in a hitter friendly park.

I would still be happy if they sign him, just so I don't have to watch one of Banuelos or Covey anymore. But I don't think it is a good move.

I'm not the biggest fan of signing Kuechel, but I don't think signing him removes us from the Cole sweepstakes.  

Cole, Keuchel, Gio, Cease and Lopez on OD.  Kopech starts in AAA and comes up when someone gets injured, or we get the year we pissed down the drain back, whichever comes first.  

I legit see no downside in trying to sign Keuchel.  Call up Dylan, sign Dallas and take a swing at this.  Do I think we’re making the playoffs if both of those happen?  Nope, but it does nothing to hurt this team’s future and I’m cool with taking a puncher’s chance at this.  

19 hours ago, ptatc said:

why would it make sense?

It would only make sense if Cease was called up along with Keuchel’s signing.  Then, you would have filled two of the big holes (Banuelos and Covey) in your rotation.  I don’t see it happening but it would definitely improve the team’s chances for this year.  Also, it would only be money and you may have Keuchel for more than one year.  Obviously, you wouldn’t want to pay a ton of money but the years on the deal would be a bigger concern for signing Keuchel.

But just look at the money Hahn already wasted this past offseason.  He has two good acquisitions in McCann and Colome and they only made up around $10 million of the total $42 million or so he spent on the likes of Alonso, Nova, Herrera, Jay, and Santana.  That $32 million dollar difference could have paid for a lot of Keuchel’s contract.  If Hahn can burn $32 million on trash, I can’t argue with people who would rather see him spend it on an established, albeit aging, starting pitcher.  Basically, it’s hard to complain about spending money on Keuchel when he won’t cost a draft pick and we’ve already seen the junk that Hahn will waste his offseason money on.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

• knightni changed the title to Dallas Keuchel signs one year deal with Braves