Rick Hahn, Nick Hostetler, Jeremy Haber, and our minor league systems

whitesoxbrad

4 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

See that's the problem with our development, instead of making good hitters, players that can hit for contact, walk, and for high average and on base percentage we are trying to get guys to hit HR's. The home runs will come on their own. Don't expect a player like Madrigal to hit alot of HR. But if he can hit at the Major League level .340 with 25 doubles and more walks than K's he will fit nicely in the 1 or 2 hole.

He's always going to be a unique case because he's a little person. I wouldn't tie him into white Sox development at all at this point. 

17 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

He's always going to be a unique case because he's a little person. I wouldn't tie him into white Sox development at all at this point. 

I'm not sure I'd go that far. You're essentially calling him a non-prospect with the verbage. He just has to start hitting more doubles. He'll never be a high HR guy.

However expecting him to hit .340 annually like that poster said is pretty stupid.

Put me in the camp that loves what they see out of Madrigal. I believe the Sox drafted him to do exactly what he is doing. The extra base hits will come because he'll eventually start slapping the ball into the gaps, and his speed will get him to second easily. What he was drafted for is simply the ability to get on base, and the great defense. Maybe he wont be a 3-hole hitter, but they didn't draft him to be. Ideally, I would love to see Madrigal bat 9th when he gets to the show. Having a .300 hitter batting 9th in the lineup, and would be very beneficial for the second, third and fourth times through the lineup with guys like Robert, Moncada, Abreu and Jimenez batting after him.

6 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

I'm not sure I'd go that far. You're essentially calling him a non-prospect with the verbage. He just has to start hitting more doubles. He'll never be a high HR guy.

However expecting him to hit .340 annually like that poster said is pretty stupid.

When did I ever say he's a non prospect? What are you talking about? I said his stature is always going to be obstacle and it's too early to tie him into any kind of "white Sox development." 

Just now, TaylorStSox said:

When did I ever say he's a non prospect? What are you talking about? I said his stature is always going to be obstacle and it's too early to tie him into any kind of "white Sox development." 

I read it differently, more as "I wouldn't have too many high hopes for him because of repeated, poor White Sox development."

My fault

25 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

madrigal is going to need to develop some xbh potential or he will bust. Until he shows that theres nothing to be excited about

This is exactly what wrong with our player development. We overemphasize power. Which player would you take.

A).340 ba .425obp 25doubles, 80 walks to 60 k's

B).260 ba .325obp 35doubles,20 HR,60 walks to 167 k's

We have to play to Madrigals potential and who he is as a hitter. 

3 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

This is exactly what wrong with our player development. We overemphasize power. Which player would you take.

Madrigal will never be player A or B 

7 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

Where did you get these numbers? Madrigal is not going to be Player A 

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

Incredibly safe picks they can rush to the majors and stick their chests out to say how great they do in the low minors.  

To be fair, Fangraphs had Madrigal as the highest rated player in the draft after Mize.  He may be somewhat high floor, but the Sox gambled big time on a small guy developing power.  I’m not sure I’d call it a safe pick necessarily.

2 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

I'd wager Robert and Collins are gonna move up the rankings pretty quickly and be on next year's opening day roster. 

Can't wait if so, don't forget Cease too and these bullpen pieces

1 hour ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

Put me in the camp that loves what they see out of Madrigal. I believe the Sox drafted him to do exactly what he is doing. The extra base hits will come because he'll eventually start slapping the ball into the gaps, and his speed will get him to second easily. What he was drafted for is simply the ability to get on base, and the great defense. Maybe he wont be a 3-hole hitter, but they didn't draft him to be. Ideally, I would love to see Madrigal bat 9th when he gets to the show. Having a .300 hitter batting 9th in the lineup, and would be very beneficial for the second, third and fourth times through the lineup with guys like Robert, Moncada, Abreu and Jimenez batting after him.

The Madrigal hate on here is so comical

Gold Glove caliber defender who'll consistently hit .300-ish with speed and no Ks

Can't wait for Madrigal to join Moncada, Anderson, Jimenez, and Robert

• Like 2

As I've said before...he is going to be special.  Working the count, using up a pitchers 100 pitches,  stealing an important base.  Nellie Fox won a lot of important games for the Sox and he was a Madrigal without as much speed.  Can't wait.

25 minutes ago, ron883 said:

The idea of Robert is much more exciting to me. Its difficult to be as powerful as a mosquito and survive in this league

Isn’t Robert more exciting to everybody?  That’s a given dude.  What I’m saying is it’s super cool to be excited about everything.  The lineup is already shaping up on the MLB team with Moncada, TA, Abreu & Jimenez looking plus.  Add LuBob, Madrigal and even a Collins and it looks awesome. 

Scotty Pods only hit 20 some doubles every season and was lucky to OPS .700.  He stole a shit ton of bags, got on base , wreaked havoc and scored runs.  Now imagine he didn’t gobble up a corner outfield spot and played 2B instead.  That’s a great player to have hitting 1 or 9 on an already powerful lineup.  That’s Madrigal if he pans out.   

Everybody needs to chill out.  We don’t want all sluggers.  It’s okay to have different skill sets operating.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Chisox378 said:

I think our drafting has been so so. Burger looked good but can't stay healthy, Madrigal looks phenomenal, I'm really excited about him. Those are first rounders, not sure about the other rounders. That's why it's best to go after Dallas Keuchel and Kimbrel. 

Keuchel is just not worth it at this point in his career.  Just look at the velocity, the lower k rate, the higher walk rate.  All these signs of regression are there.  He just isn't the same pitcher as a few years ago.  As for Kimbrel, if we were playoff bound this season and on then sure I'd say go for it but he is pointless for the Sox aside from spending that money Hahn said they'd be spending

4 hours ago, ron883 said:

The idea of Robert is much more exciting to me. Its difficult to be as powerful as a mosquito and survive in this league

Rod Carew and Pete Rose survived and were very exciting players to watch despite not hitting many HR.

4 minutes ago, Worldbreaker Palk said:

Keuchel is just not worth it at this point in his career.  Just look at the velocity, the lower k rate, the higher walk rate.  All these signs of regression are there.  He just isn't the same pitcher as a few years ago.  As for Kimbrel, if we were playoff bound this season and on then sure I'd say go for it but he is pointless for the Sox aside from spending that money Hahn said they'd be spending

That's true is we are not in contention. But what if we ARE in contention?

Harper, Kimbrel & Corbin probably would have made us WS contenders as early as 2020. 

Robert

Moncada

Abreu

Harper

Jimenez

TA

Collins

Anybody

Madrigal

thats the best offense in baseball.  Why the EFF didn’t they sign that huge lefty bat that was available.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1