4/14 Games - Cease Day

DirtySox

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Absolutely. If he does that with 25+ SB per year and GG D that is a great pick at #4. He has to get the XBH that aren't HRs to be a valuable player. No slap hitting. 

Hoping to see video of the triple today.  The double yesterday was not your typical extra base hit.  Also, judging from yesterday's videos, the opposition is playing the right fielder very, very shallow and right on the foul line.

Would like to see Madrigal's 3B. Saw his hits yesterday and didn't feel like it showed much as far as projecting a positive change in his production. Bunt hit, two weakly hit choppers right on the foul lines, and a solid single lined to left.

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

When the Sox played the Rays, didn't you say that slap hitters are valuable to the current MLB game?

It wasn't the Rays, it was the the Mariners, and I said they were undervalued. I still agree with that. The slap hitters that make it to the Majors and are undervalued are those with elite speed and can get the occasional XBH. If Madrigal can be that guy, he'd be a great asset. 

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Hoping to see video of the triple today.  The double yesterday was not your typical extra base hit.  Also, judging from yesterday's videos, the opposition is playing the right fielder very, very shallow and right on the foul line.

Looks like we're thinking the same thing!

1 minute ago, fathom said:

So if they play him the same way in th big leagues and he hits it where they aren’t, he will get extra bases. I know people want to be tight and have this kid fail, but he is going to disappoint all those who have already deemed him a bust.

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

So if they play him the same way in th big leagues and he hits it where they aren’t, he will get extra bases. I know people want to be right  and have this kid fail, but he is going to disappoint all those who have already deemed him a bust.

he went 6 games without an extra base hit,. Frank Thomas has done that.

Edited by Dick Allen

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

So if they play him the same way in th big leagues and he hits it where they aren’t, he will get extra bases. I know people want to be tight and have this kid fail, but he is going to disappoint all those who have already deemed him a bust.

You think people really want to see him fail?  I was/am critical of the pick, but I hope like hell he can defy the odds.

I wanted the Sox to pick Madrigal and almost immediately I've just felt that we're going to end up being disappointed in the pick. Seems like some of the scouting industry has started to sour on him a little bit too. Plenty of time for him to grow of course once we change our expectations away from immediate surge to MLB.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jake said:

I wanted the Sox to pick Madrigal and almost immediately I've just felt that we're going to end up being disappointed in the pick. Seems like some of the scouting industry has started to sour on him a little bit too. Plenty of time for him to grow of course once we change our expectations away from immediate surge to MLB.

^^^^^

You read my mind. Nice post. 

2 minutes ago, Jake said:

There was also the belief the Sox would help him tweak with his swing, as the exaggerated leg kick was likely to cause him issues against better fastballs.  From all reports, he hasn't changed his swing.  It's also frustrating they never let him show he couldn't play SS

Edited by fathom

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

You think people really want to see him fail?  I was/am critical of the pick, but I hope like hell he can defy the odds.

For sure. The amateur scouts on here would rather be right. But they will all be wrong. He went 6 games this year before an extra base hit. Now several have to study each hit to determine if it was legit. You take away every players hits that weren crushed, MLB scores would look like soccer.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, Jake said:

Would like to see Madrigal's 3B. Saw his hits yesterday and didn't feel like it showed much as far as projecting a positive change in his production. Bunt hit, two weakly hit choppers right on the foul lines, and a solid single lined to left.

It was ripped down the left field line. I haven't seen a video, though.

I am still very confident that a player with a hit tool and baseball IQ like his will overproduce compared to expectations. I just don’t know that he figures that out by his first two years, but his other tools are carrying tools that can have him arrive before his offensive power arrives.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Cease done. Frare in. Only 60 pitches, but probably a combo of limiting his innings/rain.

Maybe FG will realize what a stud Cease is and move him way up. He's got to be one of if not the the top righty in minors...inc. Whitley. 

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Five straight hits to start off the 1st for the Barons, including a double by Adolfo.

If those guys turn it around, I’m crediting you for your not-so-optimistic outlook. 😉

They needed a little kick in the ass to get going. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Collins 0-4 today but no strikeouts.  At some point in the near future he’ll start seeing some positive regression with the BABIP.

Yeah you aren't kidding. Collins is making great contact and has an .071 BABIP to show for it. 

19 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

If those guys turn it around, I’m crediting you for your not-so-optimistic outlook. 😉

They needed a little kick in the ass to get going. 

Trust me, I hate being negative but it’s just crazy seeing the entire lineup struggle at once.  Hopefully this is just the start of good things to come.