Game of Thrones

Southwest Sider

37 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I could also see Theon being Azor Ahai. It lines up with the prophecy of Azor Ahai being reborn from salt and stone, "what's dead may never die," and his redemption/Reek arc. I believe he's also the 5th most prominent character behind Tyrion, Jon Snow, Dany and Arya. 

If there is an Azor Ahai, it’s most definitely Jon or Dany.  Theon’s redemption arc will be ending next episode.

1 hour ago, TaylorStSox said:

I'm pretty sure the name Bloodraven is passed down. 

The Azor Ahai stuff hasn't been kept to a minimum its just been a few seasons since its been a focus. 

I'm pretty sure Bloodraven was just the nickname of Bryden Rivers in the books - not the title that he picked up when he became the Three Eyed Raven.

IMO, the show has done a really bad job of explaining Bran's importance in all of this.  Saying that he is the world's "memory" seems particularly silly in a world that has a bunch of books.  "Some dude chilling north of the Wall is the key to human existence" doesn't resonate for me. 

Also confusing to me - are the White Walkers a threat to the world as a whole?  Because the show has made a kind of big deal over the fact that wights can't swim - and maybe can't sail boats (see aftermath of Hardhome, see also Yara saying that the WWs can't reach the Iron Islands in the first episode of this season).  The NK has a dragon now - true - but absent being gifted a dragon by the stupid Magnificent 7 let's capture a wight plan, how is the Night King a threat to the rest of the world?

1 hour ago, illinilaw08 said:

I'm pretty sure Bloodraven was just the nickname of Bryden Rivers in the books - not the title that he picked up when he became the Three Eyed Raven.

IMO, the show has done a really bad job of explaining Bran's importance in all of this.  Saying that he is the world's "memory" seems particularly silly in a world that has a bunch of books.  "Some dude chilling north of the Wall is the key to human existence" doesn't resonate for me. 

Also confusing to me - are the White Walkers a threat to the world as a whole?  Because the show has made a kind of big deal over the fact that wights can't swim - and maybe can't sail boats (see aftermath of Hardhome, see also Yara saying that the WWs can't reach the Iron Islands in the first episode of this season).  The NK has a dragon now - true - but absent being gifted a dragon by the stupid Magnificent 7 let's capture a wight plan, how is the Night King a threat to the rest of the world?

Yeah that was such a dumb scene when you really think about it. They refused to get into the water to attack Jon, et al, but they had no problem going into the water to drag the dead dragon out. 

If they're already dead, why couldn't they just walk along the bottom of the Narrow Sea until they get to Essos?

2 hours ago, Jenksismyhero said:

Yeah that was such a dumb scene when you really think about it. They refused to get into the water to attack Jon, et al, but they had no problem going into the water to drag the dead dragon out. 

If they're already dead, why couldn't they just walk along the bottom of the Narrow Sea until they get to Essos?

It's not particularly ominous that - unless there's a dragon to be retrieved - the dead react to water like my dog when he sees a puddle on a walk.  "Can't possibly get around that.  Walk over."

My tuppence worth (that'll be 5 cents to you :) ).

I was hoping Dany would get the throne but that has been scuppered by Jon being first in line , not sure he'll get it either . The series has always caught us out and something highly unlikely awaits , Winterfell will fall but there needs to plenty of survivors to confront Cersei  .

Basically I haven't got a clue but I do have a Direwolf , Dexter he's a Northern Inuit as used in the series. I think I may have posted a pic before but here he is a few years ago :

8592434180_a2a519406f_z.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

I think the Night King flew south to take out Kings Landing and will come north with his newly created army from the dead at Kings Landing.  There has to be a reason he wasn't shown last week

Yeah - I think he took the dragon and is going to get Cersei. Would be quite the plot shift and I now kind of totally expect it.  

9 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Yeah - I think he took the dragon and is going to get Cersei. Would be quite the plot shift and I now kind of totally expect it.  

I think she will flee to Winterfell before he gets to her, and puts everyone in the same space.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Amazingly well done episode but was expecting significantly more deaths.  Theon & Jorah were the only two characters of any importance to die, which is fairly surprising to me.  Maybe my expectations were way too high.

Melisandre bro, Melisandre. Edd's always been super popular with the fans too. 

Just now, bigruss said:

I just can't believe that part of the show is over, just didn't think it would be resolved at that point.

It all kind of seems anti-climactic. It's been over a decade of build up for me though. So many theories and arguments. I couldn't really give a shit about King's Landing. I always liked the Starks and the mystical aspect of the story. It's hard to believe it's over. 

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

The music leading up to it all was just awesome.  What a tension filled episode

There were some absolutely captivating moments.  

Nitpicking on some things:

Why send your cavalry in like they did?  Seemed like a waste.

Was hoping to see Arya use her special weapon more.

Clearly this is leading to a war with Cersei, but what army is left?  The Unsullied and Dothraki are pretty much wiped out, so you've got remnants of the Northern army left.  Seems like they are undermanned (of course they still have dragons).

Just now, bigruss said:

There were some absolutely captivating moments.  

Nitpicking on some things:

Why send your cavalry in like they did?  Seemed like a waste.

Was hoping to see Arya use her special weapon more.

Clearly this is leading to a war with Cersei, but what army is left?  The Unsullied and Dothraki are pretty much wiped out, so you've got remnants of the Northern army left.  Seems like they are undermanned (of course they still have dragons).

Dorne? I guess it's too late to add them again. It's weird because the entire Dornish aspect of both the books and the show was a giant waste of time. I hated Quentyn, but I was hoping it would at least lead somewhere.

I thought Quentyn was a super underrated character, nothing really special about him except a kid trying to do his family right.  I loved that angle, I thought he was way more relatable then a lot of characters and found that to be refreshing in this series.

2 hours ago, Harper2Sox said:

Great beer.  Had some on Friday.  First good Pipeworks beer I’ve had in awhile.

I still really enjoy Ninja vs Unicorn, Lizard King, and some of their odd releases like Speed of Sound. This beer was great, though. Hard to get my hands on a 4 pack though out here in the far west burbs.

Also Holy Fucking Shit I needed the beer and had to keep reminding myself to breathe. 

3 minutes ago, bigruss said:

I thought Quentyn was a super underrated character, nothing really special about him except a kid trying to do his family right.  I loved that angle, I thought he was way more relatable then a lot of characters and found that to be refreshing in this series.

Quentyn thinking he could free a dragon was just plain stupid IMO.  It’s very clear to me that GRRM didn’t have a great way to bridge the first three books to whatever end game he had in mind.  Books 4 & 5 both have way too much filler.

Just now, bigruss said:

I guess I just always hoped all the characters would intertwine into something more epic. I still can't figure out what importance Dorne even has to the story aside from a bad ass character in Oberyn and a legend (that wasn't even an actual character) in Ser Arthur Dayne. At least Highgarden added to the political aspect. 

Obviously this has nothing to do with the episode. 😁