Game of Thrones

Southwest Sider

9 hours ago, South Sider said:

Well duh. Everyone knew how weak he was to dragonglass and the consequence to his army if he died. Someone had to to take the chance to get him. Too easy my ass. Jon had a shot but unfortunately for him was standing around a bunch of fresh corpses. Also, NK smartly stayed away from the warfare until he had his shot at Bran. The entire episode was the climax, plus it was unexpected that it was Arya killing him. I would have imagined it would have been Jon vs. NK in some sword fight to finish him off... but that would have been too predictable. I think once people get over their stupid issues with the lighting, setting, and too few main characters dying, this will go down as one of the best GoT episodes ever. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. 

100% agree. I didn't have any lighting issues but we watch it in the dark. The visuals were sometimes fast and blurry but I never had a problem seeing who was on screen. I got confused a bit during the dragon fight but that just added to the tension. 

I knew going in that it was likely all this buildup about NK would end "easily" with a one hit death. They've been setting that up for years. The fact that I saw his death coming but was still shocked (and so happy) when Arya leapt through the air to get him...man, kudos to everyone behind the show. So awesome.

15 minutes ago, G&T said:

The crypt was pointless. You hear everyone screaming, but apparently no one died. I will say they lost the ability to kill named characters when the books ended.

The crypts could have been an epic twist but instead they killed a bunch of no-name characters.  There was so much wasted potential in this episode which is the frustrating part.  That being said, I want to see how everything shakes out before I complain too much about the lack of a payoff.  

Considering my favorite characters have been Arya, Theon, Melisandre, Beric and Oberyn, I'm satisfied. 😊

I always loved that there was a war going on and the BWB never gave a shit. They were just out hunting Lannisters because Ned sent them on a mission in book 1. It's like those Japanese soldiers who never realized WWII ended. 

I am disappointed that White Harbour and the Crannongmen never played a role. I'd have liked to see Victarion too. 

Edited by TaylorStSox

Personally, I liked it.

The sniping about the battle plans I find pretty weak. I don't know how you could have watched it and not have been convinced that it was an unwinnable battle. They also spent an episode saying that, and announcing their whole plan was just to delay and hope they could decapitate the night king. Then they spent an episode showing how impossible it would be to defeat an army like that with tactics, and instead the shows magical and prophetical elements takes care of it.

The worst thing they could have done is betray the characters they've built for 10 years. That's what last year was doing.

Im not upset they didn't kill more characters. The best deaths, the ones that were subversive, were good not because they were just nihilistic but because they made sense and set things in motion. Just dying in a battle isn't that interesting.

And also, glad they cleared the board of the night king. He wasn't interesting, it was never interesting. It certainly would have been better to have a reason for him to do things, but when the only way he could communicate it is through a monotone delivery (bran), or suddenly having the night king talk (would be terrible), or having sam in a book run up after having discovered that the symbols mean they just wanted friendship and they apparate out, meh.

The last 3 episodes now can be all political squabbles, and I think they set the stage well for the struggle and frustrations Dany will have to follow through on her claim after losing her armies.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

Personally, I liked it.

The sniping about the battle plans I find pretty weak. I don't know how you could have watched it and not have been convinced that it was an unwinnable battle. They also spent an episode saying that, and announcing their whole plan was just to delay and hope they could decapitate the night king. Then they spent an episode showing how impossible it would be to defeat an army like that with tactics, and instead the shows magical and prophetical elements takes care of it.

The worst thing they could have done is betray the characters they've built for 10 years. That's what last year was doing.

Im not upset they didn't kill more characters. The best deaths, the ones that were subversive, were good not because they were just nihilistic but because they made sense and set things in motion. Just dying in a battle isn't that interesting.

And also, glad they cleared the board of the night king. He wasn't interesting, it was never interesting. It certainly would have been better to have a reason for him to do things, but when the only way he could communicate it is through a monotone delivery (bran), or suddenly having the night king talk (would be terrible), or having sam in a book run up after having discovered that the symbols mean they just wanted friendship and they apparate out, meh.

The last 3 episodes now can be all political squabbles, and I think they set the stage well for the struggle and frustrations Dany will have to follow through on her claim after losing her armies.

The only interesting aspect left is that Jon is the rightful heir and he's banging his aunt. Dany has no legit claim unless Jon dies, which is a possibility. 

I always thought Dany would go mad from power lust and Jon would have to kill her, but that doesn't seem realistic now. 

Edited by TaylorStSox

2 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

The only interesting aspect left is that Jon is the rightful heir and he's banging his aunt. Dany has no legit claim unless Jon dies, which is a possibility. 

I always though Dany would go mad from power list and Jon would have to kill her, but that doesn't seem realistic now. 

But thats really interesting!

One thing that twitter seems to be picking up on now is those that streamed on hbo go did not see an episode nearly as dark as those that saw it on cable, due to digital compression. 

We were streaming it and it was dark but I didn't quite get how people were saying it was unwatchable.

10 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

I thought the episode was awesome, but some of the battle scenes were a little confusing.  Big medieval like battle scenes are always chaotic.

Did they lose another dragon, it was kinda hard to tell?

You can see Rhaegar and also Ghost in the preview for next weeks episode.  

12 hours ago, bigruss said:

There were some absolutely captivating moments.  

Nitpicking on some things:

Why send your cavalry in like they did?  Seemed like a waste.

Was hoping to see Arya use her special weapon more.

Clearly this is leading to a war with Cersei, but what army is left?  The Unsullied and Dothraki are pretty much wiped out, so you've got remnants of the Northern army left.  Seems like they are undermanned (of course they still have dragons).

Send Arya to King's Landing, she kills Cersei, boom war over. 

Arya is one of my favorite characters in tv/movie.  She just gets the job done.  It will be interesting to see what role she plays in the final three episodes.

Also, her revenge on Walder Frey and his whole family is one of the best revenge stories ever told.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

But thats really interesting!

I kind of think the show has lost its ability to make that interesting (IMO).

Cersei has no legit claim to the Throne under the laws of Westeros - in either the books or the show.  So she's ruling because (a) other than Dany, there's no one alive to press a claim; and (b) she has force on her side (she certainly shouldn't have hearts and minds since she ascended to the Throne by blowing up the popular Queen and wildly popular Westeros Pope).  

So the Jon v. Dany question just isn't that interesting to me - because who has the stronger legal claim hasn't mattered in seasons.  

3 minutes ago, illinilaw08 said:

I kind of think the show has lost its ability to make that interesting (IMO).

Cersei has no legit claim to the Throne under the laws of Westeros - in either the books or the show.  So she's ruling because (a) other than Dany, there's no one alive to press a claim; and (b) she has force on her side (she certainly shouldn't have hearts and minds since she ascended to the Throne by blowing up the popular Queen and wildly popular Westeros Pope).  

So the Jon v. Dany question just isn't that interesting to me - because who has the stronger legal claim hasn't mattered in seasons.  

But the question won't be whether Dany has the stronger legal claim, it's whether Jon will end up continuing to believe Sam that Dany will be a bad/vindictive ruler like her father, and using his own claim to stop her.

It will be whether the song of ice and fire will be about jon, or if it's jon and dany together.

58 minutes ago, bmags said:

But the question won't be whether Dany has the stronger legal claim, it's whether Jon will end up continuing to believe Sam that Dany will be a bad/vindictive ruler like her father, and using his own claim to stop her.

It will be whether the song of ice and fire will be about jon, or if it's jon and dany together.

Other than killing the Tarly's (enemies who refused to bend the knee when given a choice), what evidence is there that she's bad or vindictive? Seems to be she's made a lot of choices that were good for the world (ending slavery, diverting her quest for the throne to save humanity in the north, etc.)

21 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

Other than killing the Tarly's (enemies who refused to bend the knee when given a choice), what evidence is there that she's bad or vindictive? Seems to be she's made a lot of choices that were good for the world (ending slavery, diverting her quest for the throne to save humanity in the north, etc.)

It's not that she has done anything bad per se, but like Sam said to him when he told Jon Snow of his true heritage, "you gave up your crown to save your people, would she do the same?", Snow is trying to make sure that he isn't her pawn on the way to the throne.  She is the daughter of the mad king, so everyone thinks she could totally flip at any time

26 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

Yeah it's not yet, and I hope it won't be, so much of a heelturn that you hate her. 

But she clearly values respect through power more than respect through honor, as Jon does.

This is seen in Essos where she crucifies the slave owners (not bad per se!), the dragons with the Tarleys, the instinct to user her dragons directly on Kings Landing (again, right strategy, better than Jons 'lose every battle and get bailed out by your sister' one), and then in the North demanding respect from Sansa and the storyline about whether she cares more about her people or the crown.

Those are interesting questions that I don't believe are planted for no reason. There is going to be questioning from Jon over whether Dany would want the crown at all costs, and be not much different than Cersei when she has it.

40 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

In the books, she grows increasingly ruthless, not like her dad, but ruthless nonetheless. 

She has had a few times, like with the Tarly's where she flashes some ruthless attitude, but there are way more times when she shows kindness and sympathy.

I think it would be a surprise if she goes off the deep end in the next 3 episodes.

Edited by GoSox05

I mean, if the standard is a bad choice here and there, frankly the Seven Kingdoms would be better off with Dany over Jon. How many times has Jon made incredibly stupid decisions? Going after Rickon in the Battle of the Bastards, continuing to fight the white walkers instead of getting on the dragon in "Beyond the Wall..." Other than being brave, Jon's a pretty terrible leader, at least in battle.

Just seen it over here , hmm looked like it was going to be an easy win for old blue eyes when he raised all his minions again but of course he couldn't win because the story is who sits on the Iron Throne  , so yeah great episode but realistically a side issue .