Game of Thrones

Southwest Sider

Could someone fucking explain to me why all fantasy and ancient Greek and Roman movies are done with Brits as actors? At least Harry Potter made sense because the story actually took place in Britain. 

There is some stupid ass rule in Hollywood that fantasy or ancient Greek/Romans=British accents

I find this amusing

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Could someone fucking explain to me why all fantasy and ancient Greek and Roman movies are done with Brits as actors? At least Harry Potter made sense because the story actually took place in Britain. 

There is some stupid ass rule in Hollywood that fantasy or ancient Greek/Romans=British accents

I find this amusing

This happens alot in historical movies.  They do it alot in anything about Egypt.

Although I don't think Game of Thrones is the best example as it takes places on another planet or alternate universe.

Just now, GoSox05 said:

This happens alot in historical movies.  They do it alot in anything about Egypt.

Although I don't think Game of Thrones is the best example as it takes places on another planet or alternate universe.

They do it with fantasy movies as well. Most of the actors in LOTR were British, Watch any other fantasy type movie they're all Brits. 

So the White Walkers can move extremely fast and completely overcome enemies with no regard to their wellbeing.....unless they need to fight a main character, then they can one by one stand in a circle and get chopped down by Jon Snow or the dragon lady and her guard? 

And what the fuck was Jon Snow doing just giving himself up to be killed by the dragon?

And they JUST demonstrated that the white walkers are extremely sensitive to sound in that library scene. Now all the sudden Arya can run through all of them undetected and kill the biggest villain in the show? 

I dunno man, for a show that people hype up as being the greatest ever, I was surprised how often that episode fell in to the same old dumb threads as any other lollipop battle scene or network TV show. 

And how the hell did those people NOT think that hiding in a crypt among the dead MIGHT be a bad idea when the guy coming in to your castle has his entire lore built on being able to raise people from the dead? 

I dunno man, the scene with the zombies laying their bodies across the fire to build a bridge over it was legit awesome and clever, but most of the rest of it was a big eyeroll for me. 

And lastly, I REALLY thought the Night King was going to kneel down before Bran. They both looked at each other like they were intimately familiar with each other and Bran didn't looked nervous or scared. Would have been a cool twist. Also, if you are going to have a guy who can watch the entire battlefield at once through aerial views from birds, don't you want that guy near someone in command who can change battle plans? I get he was used as bait, but it's not like they seemed to have a real plan to kill the Knight King once he actually took the bait.

55 minutes ago, bmags said:

Can someone point to me where the safe spot of the castle was?

There was none. They knew that they would lose unless they got the NK. If you're in the crypts, there's a chance you get surrounded by dead. If you're not in the crypts, then there's a 100% chance you are surrounded by dead and die yourself (unless you are Sam or a capable warrior). My guess is it was a calculated risk. Better would have been to ship Sansa, Tyrion and them all to the Iron Islands, but I doubt Sansa would have wanted to leave Winterfell. 

5 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

They do it with fantasy movies as well. Most of the actors in LOTR were British, Watch any other fantasy type movie they're all Brits. 

Pretty much because a lot of high fantasy is inspired by Tolkien's work. He was British, his settings invoked Britain.

6 minutes ago, Quin said:

Pretty much because a lot of high fantasy is inspired by Tolkien's work. He was British, his settings invoked Britain.

He was not British. He was a white South African. A lot of them came from there but a lot came from Holland as well. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

He was not British. He was a white South African. A lot of them came from there but a lot came from Holland as well. 

I know he was born in South Africa (to English parents), but he moved to England when he was three.

For all intents and purposes, dude was British.

44 minutes ago, bmags said:

Also a lot of these movies are targeted to american audiences, giving english accents creates an aura of foreignness without needing to actually create a foreign tongue/accent.

I just find it amusing. It isn't a big deal or anything. It is just funny to me. 

4 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

And they JUST demonstrated that the white walkers are extremely sensitive to sound in that library scene. Now all the sudden Arya can run through all of them undetected and kill the biggest villain in the show? 

Arya's entire subplot is about her becoming an assassin that can change faces and move without making a sound. 

Just now, TaylorStSox said:

Arya's entire subplot is about her becoming an assassin that can change faces and move without making a sound. 

Don't stop him now, he's on a roll.  

But in all seriousness Chili, if you're going to start questioning so much you should probably just watch the show and see why people got so into it.  Picking apart a battle scene is just silly at this point, even with actual faults their fighting scenes are not what made this one of the most popular shows ever.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2019 at 3:43 PM, TaylorStSox said:

What was the significance of the library scene then? Watch this undetectable girl be detected?  I'm far from the only one who has questioned her ease of putting herself in that position to kill the Night King without anyone noticing. There is a huge GoT fanboy at work who answers questions for me and he even thought it was a bit weak to allow him to be so vulnerable. 

5 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

What was the significance of the library scene then? Watch this undetectable girl be detected?  I'm far from the only one who has questioned her ease of putting herself in that position to kill the Night King without anyone noticing. There is a huge GoT fanboy at work who answers questions for me and he even thought it was a bit weak to allow him to be so vulnerable. 

No, you are mostly correct.  That most recent episode was filled with so many ridiculous plot holes it hurt my brain.  And I have watched every single episode.

5 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

The show is stupid entertainment. It's not like you're dissecting Kurosawa or Tarkovsky here. 

9 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I have to admit the downtime scenes were pretty lame but all in all, they are on borrowed time and need to end the show.  I felt the battle of bastards was a lot better.

17 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

The show is stupid entertainment. It's not like you're dissecting Kurosawa or Tarkovsky here. 

I guess with the amount of hype and non-stop talk about the show I am expecting something on the level of Breaking Bad, and it's definitely not. But that's fine, because it's clearly entertaining enough, and even I'm invested on how it ends now, but I guess my expectations of WHY people love the show were off. 

3 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I guess with the amount of hype and non-stop talk about the show I am expecting something on the level of Breaking Bad, and it's definitely not. But that's fine, because it's clearly entertaining enough, and even I'm invested on how it ends now, but I guess my expectations of WHY people love the show were off. 

So you’ve actually watched all the episodes in the series?  Because it’s very hard to take your opinion seriously right now if you happened jump in at the start of season 8.

I enjoyed the episode.  The final 10 minutes or so with the slowly building ominous music was great.

Still for me, Hardhome and Battle of the Bastards were two of the best episodes of TV ever.  Whenever I try to get people to watch the show, I always talk about Hardhome.  "Just wait until season 5.  There's an episode that will blow you away."

On 5/3/2019 at 1:52 AM, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Do you mean like when all the bad guys just happen to be standing in the direct line of fire of a remote control gun that pops out of a car trunk?