Game of Thrones

Southwest Sider

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yeah, my biggest beef with this Mad Queen turn is the show probably didn’t give it enough setup time.  There have no doubts been signs of her ruthlessness, but these last few seasons have moved so fast that it’s lost some of it’s effectiveness.  I do think the payoff in the books will be better assuming GRRM actually finishes them.

I wonder how the Young Grif/Golden Company is going to play a role in the books. 

7 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I wonder how the Young Grif/Golden Company is going to play a role in the books. 

That will definitely be interesting.  Is he just a Red Herring or does he somehow play a bigger role than expected.  Either way, it does seem Varys’ end-game will be vastly different in the books than the show.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

That will definitely be interesting.  Is he just a Red Herring or does he somehow play a bigger role than expected.  Either way, it does seem Varys’ end-game will be vastly different in the books than the show.

For sure. Man, I was really surprised she actually killed Varys. That was a great way to start the episode and very symbolic. Varys was always the one doing whatever it took to protect King's Landing. He dies in the episode that the city is turned to rubble. 

17 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

For sure. Man, I was really surprised she actually killed Varys. That was a great way to start the episode and very symbolic. Varys was always the one doing whatever it took to protect King's Landing. He dies in the episode that the city is turned to rubble. 

It appears he may have gotten some ravens out before he got killed too. It'll be interesting to see if that means anything in the last episode.

I couldn't believe that after basically securing the city, she went on the rampage. I figured she would need to rampage to secure the city, but the battle was a complete joke. 20k Golden Company? Yeah whatever. Perimeter ballistas? Yeah just outflank them. 

This episode was amazing and even though we all saw Mad Queen coming, it still left me with that weird anxious feeling like after Neds death, the Red Wedding, Jons death, etc. 

2 minutes ago, South Sider said:

It appears he may have gotten some ravens out before he got killed too. It'll be interesting to see if that means anything in the last episode.

I couldn't believe that after basically securing the city, she went on the rampage. I figured she would need to rampage to secure the city, but the battle was a complete joke. 20k Golden Company? Yeah whatever. Perimeter ballistas? Yeah just outflank them. 

This episode was amazing and even though we all saw Mad Queen coming, it still left me with that weird anxious feeling like after Neds death, the Red Wedding, Jons death, etc. 

I'm sure he got a raven to future Queen, Sansa at the future capitol, Winterfell. 

Edited by TaylorStSox

It's as though at the end of season 6 every Game of Thrones character but their role in the show in a hat and everyone took turns picking from it.

6 season of development wasted in 7 and 8.  Massive disappointment beyond even Dexter.

5 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

It's as though at the end of season 6 every Game of Thrones character but their role in the show in a hat and everyone took turns picking from it.

6 season of development wasted in 7 and 8.  Massive disappointment beyond even Dexter.

Yeah, well.. that's just like, your opinion, man.

• Haha 1

Just now, South Sider said:

Yeah, well.. that's just like, your opinion, man.

It's actually fairly basic storytelling.

Moments after saying "Mercy is our strength" she kills tens of thousands for almost no reason at all.

The creators have mutilated a great TV character in three episodes.

Just now, Eloy Jiménez said:

Moments after saying "Mercy is our strength" she kills tens of thousands for almost no reason at all.

This has never been the point of Game of Thrones.

1 minute ago, South Sider said:

This has never been the point of Game of Thrones.

Actually, it was.  For about six seasons.  There was a core of about 8 character who had full, developed story arcs.  Then the show writers ran out of Martin material entirely and went completely off the reservation.

It's all-time bad.

Great quote about it on twitter

"I just wanna understand what was the point of Dany's arc? You want a mad Targaryen you had Viserys right there. Why would they let her grow from an abused girl, free slaves, help people for 7 seasons just to ruin her character in 2 eps? Disgusting."

8 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

Actually, it was.  For about six seasons.  There was a core of about 8 character who had full, developed story arcs.  Then the show writers ran out of Martin material entirely and went completely off the reservation.

It's all-time bad.

So you expected the ruler who has the mad king in her genes and who’ve you’ve seen execute people like Tarly’s family just be the happy and great ruler in the end?  They have been hinting at this turn all throughout the series.  Where have you been?

It’s an overall message about how power corrupts and she basically became Cersei all over again.  Meanwhile, the best ruler would be the guy who doesn’t want the throne and won’t get corrupted by it as a result.

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Like 1

It's all-time bad.

Developed story arcs and how we think everything should be was never the point of GoT. Ned, Robb, and Catelyn Stark would have lasted much longer if that was the case. You may have thought her character arc was finished, but it's not. We've seen signs of her ruthlessness before. Now we got to see how she really acts after several very emotional losses (Missandei, Jons lack of affection, Varys' treachery). 

Ruined my ass. All Time bad my ass. You can take that garbage and keep that opinion if you want, but after all is said and done I don't think many will be buying the "all time bad' and "worse than walking dead" stuff people like you are pandering. 

Edited by South Sider
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

"I just wanna understand what was the point of Dany's arc? You want a mad Targaryen you had Viserys right there. Why would they let her grow from an abused girl, free slaves, help people for 7 seasons just to ruin her character in 2 eps? Disgusting."

So whose fault is it then? GRRM? Cause earlier you seemed convinced D&D are killing the show like all the other sheeple who love to be cool and find ways to hate popular things. 

Viserys was a little wussy twit and wouldn’t be as believable as Dany as a mad ruler.

The age old moral of the story here is that power corrupts.

You should defend the Star Wars prequels next. 

They have the same poor character development in the final act. 

This may be the biggest tv letdown in history. Does it even matter what happens next week?

Edited by Eloy Jiménez

8 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Viserys was a little wussy twit and wouldn’t be as believable as Dany as a mad ruler.

The age old moral of the story here is that power corrupts.

Too bad they shoehorned that in for seasons 7 and 8 because the writers are terrible 

7 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

This may be the biggest tv letdown in history. Does it even matter what happens next week?

No, I won’t.  The Star Wars prequels blow.

But I’m a bit confused.  Are you suggesting that the best ending would be Dany becoming the best just ruler of the iron throne?  Happy ending.  The end?

Edited by Harper2Sox

1 minute ago, Harper2Sox said:

But I’m a bit confused.  Are you suggesting that the best ending would be Dany becoming the best just ruler of the iron throne?  Happy ending.  The end?

No. The best ending would have been for Daenerys to die in a battle with the night king or Cersei leaving a void for Jon to become king. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

No. The best ending would have been for Daenerys to die in a battle with the night king or Cersei leaving a void for Jon to become king. 

Jon doesn’t want to be king.  Power corrupts.  Jon is good so he won’t let it corrupt him.  There’s a reason Varys has been looking for the perfect ruler forever and it hasn’t happened.

But I did crap all over episode 3 already.  They hyped up the battle with the dead for so long and it was over in a flash.  Really stupid and bad episode IMO.

Edited by Harper2Sox

11 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

The Star Wars prequels aren't great, but they've aged well. They're average. TFA and TLJ were exponentially worse than any of the Lucas prequels. However, Rogue One and Solo blow away the main story sequels away. I re-watched the prequels and they're not as bad as most think. I despise Episode VII and VIII

That being said about GOT, I've only recently gotten into it, but Cersei and Jamie's death was unsatisfying to say the least. I understand Dany's path because she's lost everything. What does she left? Nothing. It's a classic revenge story. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

Meh, your whole argument is lazy. Just like the writers, I guess. Have fun not having fun. I've enjoyed the ride. 

As for the bolded... really, you can stop beating us with your hyperbole stick. I yield!

Edited by South Sider

6 hours ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

Dany's arc is about tragedy. She spent her whole life trying to avoid her fate and not be like her father. In the end, she gave into the rage and ended up worse. 

She explained what "mercy is our strength" meant and apparently you didn't get it. Dany's character has never shown mercy to those that have wronged her. 

I believe the Mad King burned Brandon Stark for refusing to bend the knee, just like Dany burned the Tarly's for refusing. 

Edited by TaylorStSox

6 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

The Star Wars prequels aren't great, but they've aged well. They're average. TFA and TLJ were exponentially worse than any of the Lucas prequels. However, Rogue One and Solo blow away the main story sequels away. I re-watched the prequels and they're not as bad as most think. I despise Episode VII and VIII

That being said about GOT, I've only recently gotten into it, but Cersei and Jamie's death was unsatisfying to say the least. I understand Dany's path because she's lost everything. What does she left? Nothing. It's a classic revenge story. 

Lmao, no.   The prequels were the biggest movie letdown of my lifetime.  TFA might be a copy of ANH and TLJ isn't everyone's cup of tea but they were better in every way.