Game of Thrones

Southwest Sider

They really should have taken a few more episodes to develop the Jon/Dany relationship, Dany's developing Messiah complex and Dany's loneliness and dependence on Jorah and Missandei. The books do a good job showing how lonely Dany is. It also suffered from most of the main characters being bad actors and the secondary characters being excellent actors. Kit Harrington and Emilia Clarke have no range. It's never clear what either are trying to emote. They could have done a lot more to show that Dany wasn't necessarily evil, she was deluded into thinking she was saving people. 

The last episode was super hokey. You could tell everyone involved was in "just get it over with already" mode. The fan service send offs were bad. Nevertheless, I'm glad I got to see a conclusion. On to The Wheel of Time. 

Hilarious that Tyrion thought having no heirs and thus no ability to buy off political alliances via marriage means "the wheel is broken," instead of the much more likely outcome of another massive civil war when bran dies

Or when Dorne decides they have no reason to follow central rule and will be independent just like Winterfell now is.

Continues the theme of Tyrion actually being a huge dumb ass, I suppose.

Ending a show has to be one of the hardest things in film to do.  You are almost guaranteed to piss off half the fan base with the way you end it, because people want things to go a certain way and when they don't they lose it. 

I thought the ending for Game of Thrones was pretty good, a little predictable, but it was good.  Last season felt a little rushed, but they have to wrap things up at some point and it's probably always going to feel rushed. 

The absolute worst thing on social media right now is people comparing GoT to real life politics, it's awful.  It's a show about dragons and zombies on another planet and people are like "uh actually monarchies are bad".

I didn't think they'd actually abolish monarchy, but I was kinda hoping that the end result would be the abolition of the imperial crown and 7 independent kingdoms. Instead, Bran's only real base of support splits off anyway, and you've got six kingdoms under him who don't really have any real reason to follow his authority, and he has no force to back it up.

Civil war or coup inside of 5 years imo.

My biggest gripes with the show:

-Dany's lack of character development

-Kit Harrington's acting

- the Iron Born. They should have introduced Aerin Greyjoy. He's a good display of their culture. Cold, heartless, devout to the Drowned God, fearless. Asha was also butchered

Dorne - what in the actual fuck? In fairness, GRRM is in the process of butchering them too

Loras - book Loras: bad ass knight who happens to be gay. Show Loras: just gay

Bran/Greenseer/Three Eyed Raven - there's so much that felt like it was missing. All the Starks can warg. They should have shown more of it

White Harbour/The Crag - the 2 houses most loyal to the Starks were pretty much omitted. Howland Reed should have been a character. He's instrumental to the plot. 

Otherwise, I'm pretty satisfied. There's a lot of things I would have changed, but it was an overall enjoyable experience. 

8 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

I didn't think they'd actually abolish monarchy, but I was kinda hoping that the end result would be the abolition of the imperial crown and 7 independent kingdoms. Instead, Bran's only real base of support splits off anyway, and you've got six kingdoms under him who don't really have any real reason to follow his authority, and he has no force to back it up.

Civil war or coup inside of 5 years imo.

That is going make a great sequel.

3 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

My biggest gripes with the show:

-Dany's lack of character development

-Kit Harrington's acting

- the Iron Born. They should have introduced Aerin Greyjoy. He's a good display of their culture. Cold, heartless, devout to the Drowned God, fearless. Asha was also butchered

Dorne - what in the actual fuck? In fairness, GRRM is in the process of butchering them too

Loras - book Loras: bad ass knight who happens to be gay. Show Loras: just gay

Bran/Greenseer/Three Eyed Raven - there's so much that felt like it was missing. All the Starks can warg. They should have shown more of it

White Harbour/The Crag - the 2 houses most loyal to the Starks were pretty much omitted. Howland Reed should have been a character. He's instrumental to the plot. 

Otherwise, I'm pretty satisfied. There's a lot of things I would have changed, but it was an overall enjoyable experience. 

Loras did beat The Mountain in a joust but they went a little nutty with his character.

As far as the ending goes, after years of apparently strong leaders running the show, the people are just going to accept a kid in a wheelchair running the show?  A bit ridiculous...

3 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Loras did beat The Mountain in a joust but they went a little nutty with his character.

As far as the ending goes, after years of apparently strong leaders running the show, the people are just going to accept a kid in a wheelchair running the show?  A bit ridiculous...

Yeah, strong leaders like Tommen Lannister? 

4 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Bran being king is so ridiculous given the complete lack of setup.  Just so much wrong with that ending.

Jon Snow was never going to be king. 

Hey remember that Targaryen who was awful and they named him the mad king.  Then another Targaryen comes in and burns the whole city to the ground killing almost everyone.  Well, guess who is now king.  Another Targaryen!

Edited by GoSox05

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Bran being king is so ridiculous given the complete lack of setup.  Just so much wrong with that ending.

I never cared who won the throne. I just cared about the journey to get there. The weird thing with Bran is that he isn't Bran. The three eyed raven is the king now. 

5 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

Jon Snow was never going to be king. 

Hey remember that Targaryen who awful and they named him the mad king.  Then another Targaryen comes in and burns the whole city to the ground killing almost everyone.  Well, guess who is now king.  Another Targaryen!

Instead, they just exiled him to the Night's Watch (why is this still actually needed??) which is based in the newly independent North ruled by his sister/cousin. It's a military outpost adjacent to the group of people who all look up to Jon (the wildlings), and he's got a legit claim on the throne. Back down south, you've got Dorne who has no reason to support Bran, same for the Iron Islands, Bronn who will turn on anyone for the right price, and uh I guess Gendry?

This resolution still makes no sense and Westeros will erupt into violence yet again.

e: Bran no having heirs, this happened plenty of times in Roman history so he could always adopt someone or make it very, very clear who his chosen successor would be, and then the vote would just be a formality. but ultimately you have basically the same exact power structure in Westeros, just with the Ironborne Kingsmoot grafted on

Edited by StrangeSox

Just now, TaylorStSox said:

I never cared who won the throne. I just cared about the journey to get there. The weird thing with Bran is that he isn't Bran. The three eyed raven is the king now. 

Which to me is why it’s so dumb.  Why would the vast majority of those people choose him to be king?  Half of them have no context for who the three eyed raven even is.  If he ends up king in the books, I’m sure GRRM will find a much more rational way of setting it up.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Which to me is why it’s so dumb.  Why would the vast majority of those people choose him to be king?  Half of them have no context for who the three eyed raven even is.  If he ends up king in the books, I’m sure GRRM will find a much more rational way of setting it up.

Right?

Why would any of them even really believe that the threat from the Night King was real? The only people who ever faced it were in the north, where it was stopped. There was one wight in King's Landing, but that could be rationalized away as illness or some other form of sorcery.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Of course he's going to be the king in the books. GRRM hasn't written anything that makes sense in 15 years. Don't count on it. 

• Like 1

I guess I just don't know enough about Dorne or care that much?  Maybe they are just looking for some stability and like being a part of the 6 kingdoms.  Maybe it's a trade thing, I don't know.

I don't think the show should have ended on what is going to happen with Dorne, a city that hasn't been shown in like three seasons.

Just now, GoSox05 said:

I guess I just don't know enough about Dorne or care that much?  Maybe they are just looking for some stability and like being a part of the 6 kingdoms.  Maybe it's a trade thing, I don't know.

I don't think the show should have ended on what is going to happen with Dorne, a city that hasn't been shown in like three seasons.

See, if HBO did what they were planning to do before the showrunners messed it up, they could talk about what happened to Dorne (for that matter, Ellaria Sand may or may not be dead) and who that person was.  Also, I would have liked to see Robin Arryn deal with the fact his mother and the steward are dead.

I really don't have any issue with the story beats that they hit but they should have tacked 4 episodes on last season and done the Night Kind stuff there, and made this one a full season. It was just so damn rushed. 

Did anything come out that maybe the actors were done with the show and didn't want to do more episodes? 

It is weird that HBO did only 6 episodes.  They could have done 10-12. 

It does seem like a relatively difficult show to make.

29 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Yeah, strong leaders like Tommen Lannister? 

Okay, either strong leaders or leaders by blood.  That was the way it always was but suddenly the masses of people are going to accept a crippled kid in a wheelchair without knowing about his supernatural powers?  I don’t think so.  Stupid ending.

Edited by Moan4Yoan