Game of Thrones

Southwest Sider

10 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Dorne was so wrong that I'm glad they just left it alone. They nailed Oberyn and messed literally every other part of Dorne up, including the dead guy Ser Arthur Dayne. 

Oberyn was great.  I’m still pissed he didn’t just kill The Mountain and then got his skull crushed.

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Okay, either strong leaders or leaders by blood.  That was the way it always was but suddenly the masses of people are going to accept a crippled kid in a wheelchair without knowing about his supernatural powers?  I don’t think so.  Stupid ending.

It's not the way it always was. The current system is only 200 years old. Kings Landing is only 200 years old. 

"Crippled kid." Meat head. 

23 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

I guess I just don't know enough about Dorne or care that much?  Maybe they are just looking for some stability and like being a part of the 6 kingdoms.  Maybe it's a trade thing, I don't know.

I don't think the show should have ended on what is going to happen with Dorne, a city that hasn't been shown in like three seasons.

Both Dorne and the Iron Island's whole things are constantly wanting to be independent but not breaking away purely due to threat of force. Dorne's armies are untouched while Bran has what left? The North is independent. Iron Islands have no fleet even if they wanted to stay loyal. Lannister army is dead. Highgarden army is torched.

They didn't need to show what was going to happen with Dorne, but the writers chose to have them at the vote and to agree to be ruled by Bran and to let the North break free without anyone even questioning it. It was just nonsense writing.

e: was just reminded that Yara joined Team Dany based on an explicit guarantee of independence, lol

Edited by StrangeSox

5 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

Did anything come out that maybe the actors were done with the show and didn't want to do more episodes? 

It is weird that HBO did only 6 episodes.  They could have done 10-12. 

It does seem like a relatively difficult show to make.

HBO was willing to give the show runners lots more time and money, but they didn't even want to do a season 8 IIRC! They had to be talked into doing 12 episodes split between S7 and S8, too eager to go do their "what if the Confederates won??" show I guess. And now Star Wars.

Some of the actors were ready to be done as well.

6 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

Did anything come out that maybe the actors were done with the show and didn't want to do more episodes? 

It is weird that HBO did only 6 episodes.  They could have done 10-12. 

It does seem like a relatively difficult show to make.

The Show-runners are moving on to Star Wars, I’d imagine that has a lot to do with it. 

Just now, TaylorStSox said:

If you didn't understand why he didn't just kill him, you didn't understand his character. 

I know why, because he raped and murdered his sister blah blah.  I’m just saying I was frustrated that he allowed himself to get skull crushed.  Obviously they had to have the Mountain win to set up the Mountain vs the Hound.

4 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

It's not the way it always was. The current system is only 200 years old. Kings Landing is only 200 years old. 

"Crippled kid." Meat head. 

That’s how he was described in the show.  There was no “handicapped” terminology in GoT.  😂

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

I know why, because he raped and murdered his sister blah blah.  I’m just saying I was frustrated that he allowed himself to get skull crushed.  Obviously they had to have the Mountain win to set up the Mountain vs the Hound.

That's not why. Oberyn thought he was invincible. The vanity of the Dornish is their downfall. It's parallel to Ser Arthur Dayne and how he was defeated. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TaylorStSox said:

That's not why. Oberyn thought he was invincible. The vanity of the Dornish is their downfall. It's parallel to Ser Arthur Dayne and how he was defeated. 

He also poisoned his blade to make The Mountain suffer.

2 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

As the Dornish do. He was beaten by Gregor because he didn't fear him. He toyed with him. 

Nothing beats the skull crusher move, haha.  Great finisher.  Did he end up gouging out one of The Hound’s eyes before they both fell to their deaths?

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Nothing beats the skull crusher move, haha.  Great finisher.  Did he end up gouging out one of The Hound’s eyes before they both fell to their deaths?

Looked like he got hounds left eye and the right eye was pretty messed up too

Want to see if maybe I missed something early on in the episode.

Jon and Tyrion are entering King's Landing, and Tyrion says he's going off alone. Tyrion goes and finds his brother and sister buried under the Red Keep, cries, etc.

Jon walks through King's Landing and comes across Greyworm executing Lannister prisoners. Tries to talk him out of it, but fails, and keeps walking away.

Then, somehow, Jon and Tyrion both arrive at Daenarys at the same time, with Greyworm already there??

Yeah, it was a callback. I actually think the show runners did a really good job with symbolic callbacks and homages that people didn't notice. If anybody ever rewatches the entire thing, pay attention to the way Dany's scenes are edited and the scenes that follow. There are tons of subtle references to her fate. Almost all of her scenes are followed by references to fire and references to despair. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jenksismyhero said:

The endings for the major characters were for the most part fine and made sense (save for Jon being the savior of westeros but then being banished to the north by two small armies)....the execution to get there the last two seasons...Ugh. Like that Jon and Dany scene just typifies the whole thing. Not one fucking word from Jon about why he did it? And no further words from Dany?

Underwhelming is the word. Over and over again. Underwhelming.

Yes I mostly liked where everyone was. Really needed, like really needed Jon to have chosen to take the black as a sacrifice to legitimize bran. I really hated that he made that choice and was just unceremoniously discarded because it really undercut his heritage.

I mostly liked pre-selections scene and post selection scene, but the humor really didn't work for me and it all was just too fantastic. It could have been a fun episode that could be like the wrangling of the 14th amendment in the film Lincoln. 

The condensing was just so unfortunate and kinda wild. Not sure how many 8 season shows we'll ever say again that it ended too soon.

49 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Want to see if maybe I missed something early on in the episode.

Jon and Tyrion are entering King's Landing, and Tyrion says he's going off alone. Tyrion goes and finds his brother and sister buried under the Red Keep, cries, etc.

Jon walks through King's Landing and comes across Greyworm executing Lannister prisoners. Tries to talk him out of it, but fails, and keeps walking away.

Then, somehow, Jon and Tyrion both arrive at Daenarys at the same time, with Greyworm already there??

I think the thing you missed the most is that none of it is real 

• Love 3

And they are well stocked with Starbucks coffee and plastic water bottles.  😂

I totally understand when people are annoyed with editing or don't feel like the character ending was appropriate or rushed or things like that. When you are b****ing about time it takes to walk to a certain place and proper voting for kings and shit like that because "it's not real", you lost the thread.   Three episodes ago was a fight against the undead.   There are giants and dragons.  Who cares 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yes I mostly liked where everyone was. Really needed, like really needed Jon to have chosen to take the black as a sacrifice to legitimize bran. I really hated that he made that choice and was just unceremoniously discarded because it really undercut his heritage.

I mostly liked pre-selections scene and post selection scene, but the humor really didn't work for me and it all was just too fantastic. It could have been a fun episode that could be like the wrangling of the 14th amendment in the film Lincoln. 

The condensing was just so unfortunate and kinda wild. Not sure how many 8 season shows we'll ever say again that it ended too soon.

This is pretty much how I feel.  Most shows I'm ready for them to end, this show feels like they ended it way too soon. 

That happens to some shows because of bad ratings and what not, but this show has to be one of the highest rated so it feels weird.

The actors really just had to be done.  Show runners can be replaced, but if Sophie Turner is like that's it I'm done, then the show is done.

2 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

This is pretty much how I feel.  Most shows I'm ready for them to end, this show feels like they ended it way too soon. 

That happens to some shows because of bad ratings and what not, but this show has to be one of the highest rated so it feels weird.

The actors really just had to be done.  Show runners can be replaced, but if Sophie Turner is like that's it I'm done, then the show is done.

Yes, when it gets to point that you are killing off characters because of off screen contract disputes it gets bad. The show was intense to make, they shot multiple locations simultaneously most seasons, with the production team living abroad to find the locations and scheduling year round. It's probably that team that was most ready to finish.

The beats were all there at the end but it was like getting a wikipedia page of "stuff that happened".

7 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I totally understand when people are annoyed with editing or don't feel like the character ending was appropriate or rushed or things like that. When you are b****ing about time it takes to walk to a certain place and proper voting for kings and shit like that because "it's not real", you lost the thread.   Three episodes ago was a fight against the undead.   There are giants and dragons.  Who cares 

Also, it isn't like these things are necessarily happening in real time.