Game of Thrones

Southwest Sider

24 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

GoT was one of my favorite shows to rewatch.  Seasons 1-6 are all great, IMHO.  

These last two seasons have completely ruined the whole show

I haven't even started the show yet. I've been meaning to start it. The criticism of this season makes me not want to waste my time. Apparently even the actors didn't like this season. That pretty much zaps any motivation I had to watch.

3 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I haven't even started the show yet. I've been meaning to start it. The criticism of this season makes me not want to waste my time. Apparently even the actors didn't like this season. That pretty much zaps any motivation I had to watch.

It's a great show, well worth your time. The last season of the wire wasn't good either, I couldn't even finish it, but I still love the wire. Same thing here, and frankly most of the episodes in this season in isolation were entertaining - it just didn't build upon the incredibly detailed and robust storytelling that had occurred the first 4 seasons.

I would still watch this quality of season over and over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

GoT was one of my favorite shows to rewatch.  Seasons 1-6 are all great, IMHO.  

These last two seasons have completely ruined the whole show

I think the ending was bad, but this isn’t like Lost where the ending actually ruins everything.  Most of the seasons are still great even if the payoff ultimately lacks.

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think the ending was bad, but this isn’t like Lost where the ending actually ruins everything.  Most of the seasons are still great even if the payoff ultimately lacks.

Yes, I agree with this statement and another one that someone else made that seasons 1 - 6 are great.

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Yes, I agree with this statement and another one that someone else made that seasons 1 - 6 are great.

It's pretty clear when the show went south, too.  After Arya goes to Jaqan and says "A girl is Arya Stark..." the series seems to completely change.  

4 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

I think the thing you missed the most is that none of it is real 

shows not having any internal logic is just a sign of shitty writing

yes plenty of literal magic happens in the show and plenty of other works of fiction, and it's fine if it follows it's own rules. then it's coherent. this was just shitty writing and filming. "BuT iT's NoT rEaL" is the weirdest defense of dumb writing.

e: shows where the people making them still give a shit have people whose sole job is dedicated to this sort of internal consistency both in a single episode and across the whole story. GoT clearly lost that by the end. yes this is just nit-picking but I wanted to see if I actually did just miss something or they really were that sloppy.

anyway here's a review I basically agree with:

https://www.vox.com/game-of-thrones/2019/5/20/18632343/game-of-thrones-finale-season-8-bran-tyrion-iron-throne

In its final season, Game of Thrones dispensed almost entirely with trying to make sense of its characters' internal motivations -- let alone the complex political reality that its psychological realism initially helped create.

People did things because the plot required them to, not because their actions were consistent with their past behavior. Battles were decided purely by narrative convenience. In one episode, Euron pretty easily killed one of Dany's dragon with a well-aimed ballista, but in the next episode, no one could seem to hit the sole dragon that remained. And the politics of the show, a key part of what made it feel so different and fresh way back in 2011, completely fell apart -- to the point where it was impossible to treat the series as having anything like verisimilitude.

Unlike some viewers, I don't object to some of Game of Thrones' big concluding plot points per se. Daenerys going mad could have made sense, as could Bran becoming the king. The problem was the execution: The show so prioritized shock value over cogent character development and attention to political detail that the complex reality of Westeros -- the element of the series that had previously engaged so many viewers so deeply -- crumbled like a King's Landing tower blasted by dragonfire.

It's a deeply frustrating end to what was, at its best, one of the deepest and most exciting shows on television.

So Tyrion is in jail, apparently for several weeks. He is brought befor an assembly of the Seven Kingdoms' most powerful lords and ladies -- from protagonists like Sansa and Arya to side characters like Yara Greyjoy and whoever the new Prince of Dorne is. Everyone has apparently decided to meet to negotiate Tyrion and Jon's fate with Grey Worm and the Unsullied, a discussion that could potentially end in yet another brutal battle if they can't work out a compromise. The fate of the country hangs in the balance.

In the past, a meeting of this importance could have taken up an entire episode of Game of Thrones. The show would have paid close attention to each of its main characters' objectives and approaches to the discussion, with the side characters' interests and motivations somewhat outlined as well.

It's not just the North that wants independence, for example: Both the Iron Islands and Dorne are historically separate from the rest of Westeros and might well be looking to secure their own freedom from the Iron Throne. Gendry, the new lord of the Stormlands, might be looking to shore up his shaky claim on his title (as a bastard elevated by the now-dead Daenerys). These conflicting interests could have theoretically led to a tense and difficult negotiation, one that lasted several days in show time and produced a surprising outcome.

What happens instead? They decide to elect a king out of the blue, seemingly just because Tyrion suggests it. He suggests that Bran Stark, an unknown to most of Westeros' nobility, should be king. He makes a speech about Bran's magical powers, which no one really understands, and suggests that Bran's command of narrative means that he should be entrusted with near-absolute power. In the show's universe, the speech should have been greeted with as much laughter as Sam's attempt to invent democracy.

David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, Game of Thrones showrunners, decided to cut the episode count in their final two seasons from the standard 10 to seven and six as part of a compromise with HBO (which wanted more episodes). This required them to race from plot development to plot development to get to the end. It seems they decided that building up character motivation and complexity was a luxury, gambling that people would just be happy seeing some kind of neat ending for everyone.

But that felt wrong to me, a betrayal of what made Game of Thrones great in the first place. And if early fan reactions I've seen are to be believed, I'm not alone.

Edited by StrangeSox

26 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

"BuT iT's NoT rEaL" 

Writing like this is one of the most annoying things adults do on the internet. I hope in 20 years, after internet protocol settles in a little more, we're all going to look back and shake our heads at ourselves. 

• Like 2

Had to avoid the media today , ok just watched it .

After Dany does her Nuremberg rally speech her ending has to swift and yep . With the throne gone the rest was just filler .

My biggest moan about the ending and I mean season 8 is the Night King , he should have been there last night , The North should have been fighting Kings Landing and amongst the mayhem and battle climax ol' blue eyes shows up , sort that out !

1 hour ago, StrangeSox said:

shows not having any internal logic is just a sign of shitty writing

yes plenty of literal magic happens in the show and plenty of other works of fiction, and it's fine if it follows it's own rules. then it's coherent. this was just shitty writing and filming. "BuT iT's NoT rEaL" is the weirdest defense of dumb writing.

e: shows where the people making them still give a shit have people whose sole job is dedicated to this sort of internal consistency both in a single episode and across the whole story. GoT clearly lost that by the end. yes this is just nit-picking but I wanted to see if I actually did just miss something or they really were that sloppy.

anyway here's a review I basically agree with:

https://www.vox.com/game-of-thrones/2019/5/20/18632343/game-of-thrones-finale-season-8-bran-tyrion-iron-throne

It's fine, I'm just glad I don't have to worry about how long it takes to get to Kings Landing anymore because it really bothered me

What made the books/show great for mewas all of the lore/history. What made the ending less satisfying for me was all of the lore/history.

At a certain point you have to start providing answers to all of the mystery. Many good shows/books have fallen victim to this problem. Part of the fun of GOT was getting lost in an idea of things like the "prince who was promised", and its hard for every revelation to be a "Hodor" moment. 

That is really the unfortunate part. There just wont be any answers.

11 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

One of the dumber elements of the finale is Dany not immediately killing Tyrion.  Makes no sense when she just literally murdered an entire city who did not actually commit treason against her.

Yep, also see Varys.

15 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

One of the dumber elements of the finale is Dany not immediately killing Tyrion.  Makes no sense when she just literally murdered an entire city who did not actually commit treason against her.

I didn't have a problem with this because Tyrion has been her closest ally through the show. It was going to be a tough decision. She said as much to Jon. 

If we're going down this road, what makes no sense is Grey Worm keeping Tyrion or Jon alive long enough to have that leadership summit. His Queen was just killed. He answers to no one. He would have killed those two (for the same reason he killed the remaining Lannister soldiers - they were enemies of Dany) and then taken off with the Unsullied. He had zero reason to negotiate with anyone. 

• 3 weeks later...