Palka

ChiSox59

I feel for the kid.  But at this point, they need to let him go find his swing down in AAA.  He is definitely interesting enough to keep in the organization I think he has a chance to be a strong side platoon DH and occasional OF, but his time to go to AAA has passed IMO.  He has an option remaining - what are the Sox waiting for?

Perhaps waiting for the 10 days to elapse since they demoted Cordell.  I believe he's eligible to return on Wednesday.   

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I feel for the kid.  But at this point, they need to let him go find his swing down in AAA.  He is definitely interesting enough to keep in the organization I think he has a chance to be a strong side platoon DH and occasional OF, but his time to go to AAA has passed IMO.  He has an option remaining - what are the Sox waiting for?

Perhaps waiting for the 10 days to elapse since they demoted Cordell.  I believe he's eligible to return on Wednesday.   

I’m guessing they give his role to Jay when ready.

8 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

He's a one dimensional player in the era of short benches.  They need to replace him with a more well rounded player.  Someone who can actually play a position or two and can not be a clogger on the base paths.  Oh yeah and someone who can get a god damn hit.  Get rid of the bum.   

And of course, they just sent one of those down. 

We need to do whats best for the team right now.  Im not in favor of playing Palka and Sanchez so they can get at bats so we can show them off to trade them while we lose and lose and lose.  We have to do whats best for the team now. If we happen to be out of it later in the season, we can shop the player(s) that have earned a spot, or we can keep what we have.

Edited by Chisox378

16 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I remember way back when we traded for Alonso, a lot of people were pissed because AB's would be taken away from Palka. Well here we are now.

People correctly identified that if they had something there, it would be at DH, not RF.

And if he had worked out as a DH (where he outperformed Alonso offensively last year), it would mean the sox have an additional $9 million to work with. Seems like a good plan when we are still rebuilding.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

People correctly identified that if they had something there, it would be at DH, not RF.

And if he had worked out as a DH (where he outperformed Alonso offensively last year), it would mean the sox have an additional $9 million to work with. Seems like a good plan when we are still rebuilding.

It's still annoying that Jose insists he's a  full time 1B.  That has created a roster issue going on three years now.  Granted a more talented system could work around the issues but that ain't the Sox.  If Jose would just commit to full time DH then you could hide a Palka type (left hand platoon bat in theory) at 1B/DH instead of RF/DH.

Whatever, at this point we just need to realize this is still a rebuild year and dead wood won't be cleared out for now.  At least some of the kids are producing.

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

34 years old with a bad back and bad hip.  Good luck.  Even if he does get healthy it's unlikely to last.

What an idiotic signing Jay was. It seems like the Sox lit 4 million dollars on fire by signing this guy. 

They could have had a fan promotion where they put 10 dollar bills into one of those air blowing machines that you step into instead. Anyone who buys a full price 100 level ticket for an April afternoon home game gets 10 seconds in the tank to grab as many ten dollar bills as possible. The line for that would have stretched all the way to the Dan Ryan and most fans would just spend the $ on beer and concessions anyways. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I remember way back when we traded for Alonso, a lot of people were pissed because AB's would be taken away from Palka. Well here we are now.

You have to find out Palka one way or the  other.  And Alonso, and his gaudy .619 OPS,  would have crowded out Palka,  but for Jay's injury.  As it is now, he's crowding out Cordell/Delmonico

Edited by GreenSox

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They found out about Palka a long time ago.  The guy isn't an enigma wrapped in a riddle.  He's as subtle as a ball peen hammer.  If he's not hitting home runs he's completely and utterly useless.   

Agreed he is a terrible fielder he needs to dominate with the bat.  Similar to Yolmer and the errors.  They need to excel incredibly in the things they do well because the things they don't do well they are actually useless. 

6 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

He's a one dimensional player in the era of short benches.  They need to replace him with a more well rounded player.  Someone who can actually play a position or two and can not be a clogger on the base paths.  Oh yeah and someone who can get a god damn hit.  Get rid of the bum.   

Cordell for now and Adolfo, Basabe or Rutherford in the future.