Tax Day: Sox v. Royals (P: E. Santana)

bmags

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

They will not be trading Colome at the deadline. They are planning to be competitive next year. They need to start keeping the good players.

Colome is only under control for another year after this one.  Trade him and sign someone in the offseason to close. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

They will not be trading Colome at the deadline. They are planning to be competitive next year. They need to start keeping the good players.

Do you really expect this team to be competitive next year?

We have guys in the pipe that are slated as high leverage relievers.  There is no reason to keep Colome.  He is better served as a prospect flip.

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Colome is only under control for another year after this one.  Trade him and sign someone in the offseason to close. 

They won't spend the money to get a good FA. They do extend some of their own. Hopefully they just extend his contract as he seems to be a capable closer.

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

No, i just wanted to make a movie reference. Did you see my /pesci thing. It was a movie reference. completely non serious. 

I googled it after. Figured it was a movie reference. The Little Magician is a hell of a nickname. 

6 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Do you really expect this team to be competitive next year?

I do. Not in the playoffs next year but the start of being a competitive team. The additions of kopech and cease alone will change the team. However, my point was that they think that is the beginning of the competitive run. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, ptatc said:

They won't spend the money to get a good FA. They do extend some of their own. Hopefully they just extend his contract as he seems to be a capable closer.

It's a long season. Let's see how he does. Although I despise the talk of flipping players. I do hate this tank/rebuild stuff. We have to go through this kind of year again next year? Great.

Good morning , great reading the thread when the game is over and we win 😂 . Sounds like Timmy had a great game and nice to see Beef bashing it out , oh , is Palka holding the bat the right way round :?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ptatc said:

I do. Not in the playoffs next year but the start of being a competitive team. The additions of kopech and cease alone will change the team. However, my point was that they think that is the beginning of the competitive run. 

No reason why we shouldn't win 88 to 94 games next year. We play in a shit division. We should acquire a TOR arm somehow and would have Rodon, Acquistion, Kopech, Cease, whichever of Gio and Lopez that doesn't bust. We can sign a few bullpen arms and a guy who can actually DH. Call up Magical and Robert in mid April and find a decent stop gap right fielder which always seems to be available. 

That team should win you at least 86 with our schedule. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

No reason why we shouldn't win 88 to 94 games next year. We play in a shit division. We should acquire a TOR arm somehow and would have Rodon, Acquistion, Kopech, Cease, whichever of Gio and Lopez that doesn't bust. We can sign a few bullpen arms and a guy who can actually DH. Call up Magical and Robert in mid April and find a decent stop gap right fielder which always seems to be available. 

I'm not that optimistic. Kopech will be in his first year after UCL reconstruction so he will be learning again. He'll be adequate but not great. Cease will still be increasing innings so there will be a fatigue factor. The new prospects will be learning. I think they will be competitive next year but your predictions are more appropriate for the following year.

9 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I'm not that optimistic. Kopech will be in his first year after UCL reconstruction so he will be learning again. He'll be adequate but not great. Cease will still be increasing innings so there will be a fatigue factor. The new prospects will be learning. I think they will be competitive next year but your predictions are more appropriate for the following year.

There's no reason cease shouldn't get to 150 if he's healthy this year. I don't think fatigue is going to be a huge concern

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

Believe me, I don't want the FO to approach next year as another tank year, but it's funny how after a win they're going to win 88 games next year and after a loss they won't win 60 this year. 

Edited by mqr
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, mqr said:

Believe me, I don't want the FO to approach next year as another tank year, but it's funny how after a win they're going to win 88 games next year and after a loss they won't win 60 this year. 

This year is gonna be frustrating because the parts that are truly costing us games and overshadowing the good. This should have been a 95 win team next year but bad luck and shitty FO moves have set us back a little. No matter how this year goes, next year shouldn't see any less than 86 wins. This season's W/L record will not factor into expectations for next year. Dead weight needs to go. Guys who aren't cutting it in the rotation need to figure it out or go to the bullpen. 

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

My prediction has more to do with our division than with how good we are. If our division was good, I'd have us at 81 wins next year. If we played in the AL East or West I'd have us at 78-80 wins. Kopech and Cease IMO will have sub 4 ERA's as will hopefully Rodon. Adding a TOR guy to the team means our rotation will be stabilized. They won't be a world series caliber rotation until 2021, but next year should be good enough to win 86. 

• Kyyle23 locked and unpinned this topic