Sign in to follow this  
ron883

About Jose Abreu...

Another year, another putrid start. DFA worthy so far. Rocking a .200 BA with a .680 OPS. Add piss poor defense to it. The reason this is even more frustrating is that we have a superior defensive first baseman, but Abreu refuses to be a full time DH. 

1. Will Abreu get shifted to full-time DH? We should be giving our young pitchers all the help they can get. Giving them Palka and Abreu in the field does nothing for them. It is completely selfish of him to stay at 1st. He isn't hitting well enough to warrant that demand. 

2. Do the Sox resign him? I guess since it looks hopeless that the Sox will contend next year, one more tear won't hurt. But this guy appears to be aging quick. I've been telling everybody for years. Slow starts, bad under pressure, and declining. I think this will be his last with the team. 

10 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Another year, another putrid start. DFA worthy so far. Rocking a .200 BA with a .680 OPS. Add piss poor defense to it. The reason this is even more frustrating is that we have a superior defensive first baseman, but Abreu refuses to be a full time DH. 

1. Will Abreu get shifted to full-time DH? We should be giving our young pitchers all the help they can get. Giving them Palka and Abreu in the field does nothing for them. It is completely selfish of him to stay at 1st. He isn't hitting well enough to warrant that demand. 

2. Do the Sox resign him? I guess since it looks hopeless that the Sox will contend next year, one more tear won't hurt. But this guy appears to be aging quick. I've been telling everybody for years. Slow starts, bad under pressure, and declining. I think this will be his last with the team. 

Relax with the DFA worthy.  He's still a good to great bat.  Just a slow starter, it happens.  I do agree with you that he needs to see less time at 1B as he is a very poor defender.  

I'd resign him for 3-4 years in the 40-50 million dollar range

• Haha 1

Another year, another Abreu thread from Ron.

What does Jose have to do to prove to you that he's worth waiting out 60 mediocre at bats?

The Sox absolutely do not re-sign him.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 2

4 minutes ago, GGajewski18 said:

Relax with the DFA worthy.  He's still a good to great bat.  Just a slow starter, it happens.  I do agree with you that he needs to see less time at 1B as he is a very poor defender.  

I'd resign him for 3-4 years in the 40-50 million dollar range

He had an OPS BELOW 800 LAST YEAR WITH a .327 OBP.   Good for a OPS+ of 116.

God no.  He's likely to be below replacement in 2021+.

Jose is likely 2-3 years older than listed.  If you look at his aging curve it looks more like a guy that came into MLB at 30, not 27.

I'm sick of him personally he's another example of the Sox overvaluing their DH types.

• Thanks 1

Highest barrel %, exit velocity, hard hit %, and XWOBACON of his career.  He is whiffing a lot more than normal (SSS), but he is also getting super unlucky.

• Like 1

No reason to resign him, his age does not fit the window of contention. 

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He had an OPS BELOW 800 LAST YEAR WITH a .327 OBP.   Good for a OPS+ of 116.

God no.  He's likely to be below replacement in 2021+.

Jose is likely 2-3 years older than listed.  If you look at his aging curve it looks more like a guy that came into MLB at 30, not 27.

I'm sick of him personally he's another example of the Sox overvaluing their DH types.

I have wondered about the age thing myself.  The Sox management has intel I would think.  The trade deadline might be the last chance to turn this situation into a positive.  As of today he still has good value on a contender.  He does seem to be a good mentor for the young guys however.

Statcast stuff would suggest Jose has had some pretty rotten luck so far this year.

Jose is the least of this team's problems. Wow I finally got to post that sentence. I've read it from other posters so many times over the last 20 years.

• Like 1

I have doubts that Jose can be productive for lets say the next 5 years. However, he looks to be in better shape today then the last several years.

58 minutes ago, mqr said:

I'd resign Abreu if it was like 2 years 16 mil

If only for 2 years he will get a lot higher annual amount.

24 minutes ago, poppysox said:

If only for 2 years he will get a lot higher annual amount.

I wouldn't be so sure. Aging 1Bs(DH, if were being honest) don't exactly command much of anything on the market right now. 

Edited by mqr

I don't quite understand the angst...he has an expiring contract.  If he ends the season at OPS .713 then that will be that.   He's gotten off to rough starts before and turned it around.

The Sox haven't exactly seemed anxious to extend him (they've talked nice publicly, but haven't done anything) so I don't think there is risk there.

33 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

I don't quite understand the angst...he has an expiring contract.  If he ends the season at OPS .713 then that will be that.   He's gotten off to rough starts before and turned it around.

The Sox haven't exactly seemed anxious to extend him (they've talked nice publicly, but haven't done anything) so I don't think there is risk there.

Yea there is absolutely no rush or incentive to do anything with Jose right now.  It probably made sense to shop him last offseason (who knows maybe they did but nobody wanted an aging 2 WAR DH) and it certainly makes sense to shop him this summer.  He won't net much more than a lotto ticket but if you can get a fringe top 100 guy you do it.

13 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Out of curiosity, what is the actual evidence that Jose is older than listed?

Nothing concrete at all, it's just speculation based on the back of his baseball card and watching him physically since he joined the Sox. 

Nothing racial about it @Look at Ray Ray Run just speculation based on Cuban record keeping, the massive incentives the agents have, and his stats since joining the Sox.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

52 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yea there is absolutely no rush or incentive to do anything with Jose right now.  It probably made sense to shop him last offseason (who knows maybe they did but nobody wanted an aging 2 WAR DH) and it certainly makes sense to shop him this summer.  He won't net much more than a lotto ticket but if you can get a fringe top 100 guy you do it.

Jose isn't getting traded anywhere. That ship has sailed. 

He has been a loyal soldier to the Sox and JR will reward him for that. I full expect the Sox to extend him at something like 3 years and 45 million. The $ will be spent!