Jump to content
flavum

4/15 Games

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Blake Rutherford was a top 100 prospect a the time of the trade I suppose. He is nowhere near the top 200 right now and is trending downward with a bullet. 

For the love of god he’s had two bad weeks. Please step back from the edge.  He hit 300 last season in high a and is young for the league. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Blake Rutherford was a top 100 prospect a the time of the trade I suppose. He is nowhere near the top 200 right now and is trending downward with a bullet. 

There were huge red flags with him before the trade, especially from KLaw that thought the quality of his contact was atrocious.  I don’t think he’s really a long-term possibility for the Sox.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I was having the same problem.  Thought it was the app but the Barons game perfectly fine.

The new app is horrendous, total POS. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Nick hitting .351 but I'm sure the critics will continue to Harp on something in regards to his start.

So, why does everyone bash Madrigal? Don't get t...Wanted Singer THAT bad?

3 hours ago, bmags said:

Tilson and Cordell both hitting well in Charlotte.

Good to see, however both seem to be AAAA types essentially

Rather see either over Jon Jay

3 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

15-pitch perfect inning with two K’s. 11 of the 15 were strikes. 

Amped to see him start, hopefully soon, off to a great start

3 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

Rutherford is gonna be sent back down to single A soon one would think. 

Not so sure about that, what a shame though, was primed to breakout after ST

3 hours ago, ron883 said:

Continue to disregard how they came Ray Ray. By all accounts it has been weak contact 

Hilarious

3 hours ago, fathom said:

I think they need to consider promoting Robert soon.  A+ ball isn't providing a challenge.

Definitely by mid-May if he keeps this up, hopefully in ChiTown by '20

3 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

So you just let him completely sink in AA? I'm saying give it another month and if he still has a sub 400 OPS you gotta send him back down. 

Moral of the story is never trade with Brian Cashman if your name is Rick Hahn. 

Yeah he fleeced us with the remains of Frazier, the gem that Kahnle's been, and Dave Robertson

2 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Is that sarcasm? I mean they gave up 3 quality MLB players for one low minor leaguer. That should never happen. There was a reason everyone hated it 

I hated it for the return, but took it for what it was

Would have taken a lesser headliner for a deeper package

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

So you just let him completely sink in AA? I'm saying give it another month and if he still has a sub 400 OPS you gotta send him back down. 

Moral of the story is never trade with Brian Cashman if your name is Rick Hahn. 

I didn't know the story had ended .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sox Fan In Husker Land said:

They salary dumped Frazier (2 month rental) & Robertson off of a team that finished 67-95, and added in Tommy Kahnle who was having a career year and hasn't done anything since for a guy who was a 2016 1st Round Pick & Top 50 prospect (#37 MLB Pipeline, #45 Baseball America, #49 Baseball Prospectus) prior to the 2017 season. 

 

If the Sox traded a fairly good free agent to be player, a high priced closer (2 years $25 mill) with 2 years of control, and Jace Fry for Jarred Kelenic and a couple of meh prospects this year would you be upset?

 

Kelenic was ranked #68, 56, and 63 prior to this season. 

Luis Robert was ranked #76, 40, and 45 prior to this season. 

You missed the part where most of the industry, including the Yankees, were down on Blake at the time of trade. His value had fell considerably from when he was drafted or even at the start of that season. Had he still been a top 50 prospect, Yankees wouldnt made him available. Yet Sox paid the price as if Blake was still a top 50 prospect, if not more.

Hindsight is 20/20, but Kahnle at the time had a fair amount of trade value. What's crazy is Yankees still did not lose the trade even though Kahnle basically fell back down to earth. Had he been anything more, Yankees would have won by a landslide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Is that sarcasm? I mean they gave up 3 quality MLB players for one low minor leaguer. That should never happen. There was a reason everyone hated it 

Quality in what way? Kahnle had an ERA near 7 last year, Todd Frazier had a WAR of 1.5. Robertson was quality but there was no surplus value there given his contract.

They got a top 100 prospect for two guys who arent good. Also, its April 16th so it's absolutely comical to draw any conclusions on bats or worry about any starts. They'll hit. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

You missed the part where most of the industry, including the Yankees, were down on Blake at the time of trade. His value had fell considerably from when he was drafted or even at the start of that season. Had he still been a top 50 prospect, Yankees wouldnt made him available. Yet Sox paid the price as if Blake was still a top 50 prospect, if not more.

Hindsight is 20/20, but Kahnle at the time had a fair amount of trade value. What's crazy is Yankees still did not lose the trade even though Kahnle basically fell back down to earth. Had he been anything more, Yankees would have won by a landslide.

Fallen how? The midseason update dropped him 30 spots but he was still back ending almost all top 100 lists.

Kahnle had as much value as they got. He had one good season in his career and battled control his entire career. The fact that the Sox pretty much got a top 100 prospect for him should be celebrated. Frazier and Robertson were nothing more than salary dumps - Frazier had negative surplus value and Robertson was about break even despite being good.

If you thought Tommy Kahnle was worth a top 50 prospect idk what to tell you.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rutherford has had a string of 35 bad PA's. Not going to dump on him yet. 

The interesting issue is that with Adolfo/Rutherford/Gonzalez all struggling and Basabe soon returning from injury, the Sox don't really have a spot for Robert at BHam and that's completely disregarding Booker who I am sure the Sox would like to play. If I am the Sox I probably pull up Booker to AAA now as he's 25. From there, you either have to hope Basabe hits the ground running and you can promote him right away or Luis Gonzalez has the maturity to handle basically skipping AA.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Rutherford has had a string of 35 bad PA's. Not going to dump on him yet. 

The interesting issue is that with Adolfo/Rutherford/Gonzalez all struggling and Basabe soon returning from injury, the Sox don't really have a spot for Robert at BHam and that's completely disregarding Booker who I am sure the Sox would like to play. If I am the Sox I probably pull up Booker to AAA now as he's 25. From there, you either have to hope Basabe hits the ground running and you can promote him right away or Luis Gonzalez has the maturity to handle basically skipping AA.  

The second the Sox decide that Robert is ready for AA, they will promote him and make him the everyday CF in Birmingham.  None of the guys you mention will have any bearing on that outcome regardless of how they are faring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to see Robert and Madrigal pushed soon, Walker take his place at A+. Sink or swim for Booker at AAA and push one of Basabe or Gonzalez to AAA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Fallen how? The midseason update dropped him 30 spots but he was still back ending almost all top 100 lists.

Kahnle had as much value as they got. He had one good season in his career and battled control his entire career. The fact that the Sox pretty much got a top 100 prospect for him should be celebrated. Frazier and Robertson were nothing more than salary dumps - Frazier had negative surplus value and Robertson was about break even despite being good.

If you thought Tommy Kahnle was worth a top 50 prospect idk what to tell you.

Back of Top 100 value is a lot different than top 50 value like the OP was mentioning. Also he's in the back 100  due to his draft pedigree, if you were to evaluate based on tools, he wouldn't have been there. The knocks were a bat first player who hits too many ground balls, not enough power and doesn't draw enough walks. As the draft hype as worn off, you don't even see him inside most top 150 or 200 this season despite having a fairly solid 2018. That said I am not panicking on Rutherford, but I am also realistic that Sox did not get a top 50 or 100 value prospect in return despite trading out fairly decent value.

Also the bold part cant be true. If they envisioned him having the same value he's given them, they wouldn't have acquired him in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Back of Top 100 value is a lot different than top 50 value like the OP was mentioning. Also he's in the back 100  due to his draft pedigree, if you were to evaluate based on tools, he wouldn't have been there. The knocks were a bat first player who hits too many ground balls, not enough power and doesn't draw enough walks. As the draft hype as worn off, you don't even see him inside most top 150 or 200 this season despite having a fairly solid 2018. That said I am not panicking on Rutherford, but I am also realistic that Sox did not get a top 50 or 100 value prospect in return despite trading out fairly decent value.

Also the bold part cant be true. If they envisioned him having the same value he's given them, they wouldn't have acquired him in the first place.

And people will claim this is revisionist but many pointed it out at the time. Rutherford had developed no power, and seemed to be a classic case of older high school prospect who may have been overrated due to a more mature body.

That said with the exception of Florial the yankee prospects that were traded out that summer have busted, though one largely because of the white sox power box.

What was that fake ken rosenthal deal? Florial, Mateo, Adams? I was through the moon for that.

Cashman man. If he's trading you a prospect that prospect probably sucks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, raBBit said:

Rutherford has had a string of 35 bad PA's. Not going to dump on him yet. 

The interesting issue is that with Adolfo/Rutherford/Gonzalez all struggling and Basabe soon returning from injury, the Sox don't really have a spot for Robert at BHam and that's completely disregarding Booker who I am sure the Sox would like to play. If I am the Sox I probably pull up Booker to AAA now as he's 25. From there, you either have to hope Basabe hits the ground running and you can promote him right away or Luis Gonzalez has the maturity to handle basically skipping AA.  

Is there any chance they'd promote Robert to AA and then send Rutherford down to Winston-Salem once Basabe is ready if he's still struggling? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Nick hitting .351 but I'm sure the critics will continue to Harp on something in regards to his start.

 

14 hours ago, ron883 said:

Continue to disregard how they came Ray Ray. By all accounts it has been weak contact 

I've noted approvingly that the last couple days there has been a 2b and a 3b on his stat sheet. I'm ok with not seeing HR right now, if he's driving the ball well enough those will come with time, but he has to get those extra base hits because that will mean he's actually making solid contact. Unless those were all bloops that someone misplayed, just watch for the extra base hits, that's the #1 thing I want to see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to see a few more walks out of Madrigal...he can probably slap-hit anything through an A ball hole, but those holes won't exist in higher classifications.  Needs to wait for driveable pitches.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Back of Top 100 value is a lot different than top 50 value like the OP was mentioning. Also he's in the back 100  due to his draft pedigree, if you were to evaluate based on tools, he wouldn't have been there. The knocks were a bat first player who hits too many ground balls, not enough power and doesn't draw enough walks. As the draft hype as worn off, you don't even see him inside most top 150 or 200 this season despite having a fairly solid 2018. That said I am not panicking on Rutherford, but I am also realistic that Sox did not get a top 50 or 100 value prospect in return despite trading out fairly decent value.

Also the bold part cant be true. If they envisioned him having the same value he's given them, they wouldn't have acquired him in the first place.

What? I'm not sure what this means. 

Prospect growth and development isn't linear, and Rutherford was slightly overrated based on production vs younger competition in high school. That said, they got a top 100 prospect for a relief pitcher who has had one good year. They got about as much for Kahnle as you could expect, and as I noted Frazier and Robertson provided zero surplus value so you weren't getting anything but an organization filler for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, raBBit said:

Rutherford has had a string of 35 bad PA's. Not going to dump on him yet. 

The interesting issue is that with Adolfo/Rutherford/Gonzalez all struggling and Basabe soon returning from injury, the Sox don't really have a spot for Robert at BHam and that's completely disregarding Booker who I am sure the Sox would like to play. If I am the Sox I probably pull up Booker to AAA now as he's 25. From there, you either have to hope Basabe hits the ground running and you can promote him right away or Luis Gonzalez has the maturity to handle basically skipping AA.  

Wouldn't be shocked at all to see Basabe go straight to AAA following activation. Booker needs to go up. Even still, you have a logjam if you bring up Robert. Gonzalez figuring it out and forcing a promotion by the end of May would be ideal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Is there any chance they'd promote Robert to AA and then send Rutherford down to Winston-Salem once Basabe is ready if he's still struggling? 

They aren't going to demote anyone following 2 weeks of play. I guess if Rutherford struggled into June, it's a small possibility, but in reality you don't really want to send anyone down. If he can't figure out his struggles at AA he's probably doomed. He will get an entire year at the level and if he shows no progress he'll repeat the level but it seems really unlikely they'll send him down a level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

I'd like to see a few more walks out of Madrigal...he can probably slap-hit anything through an A ball hole, but those holes won't exist in higher classifications.  Needs to wait for driveable pitches.  

No one is hitting .351 at any minor league level by finding small holes in an A-Ball infield. He has a .844 OPS, and 3 XBH's in 13 hits and is slugging .459 after a dreadful start. Madrigal has been very good, and trying to say the guy is slapping the ball around the infield and that's the only way he gets hits is a bit of a stretch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Perfect Vision said:

The second the Sox decide that Robert is ready for AA, they will promote him and make him the everyday CF in Birmingham.  None of the guys you mention will have any bearing on that outcome regardless of how they are faring.

I understand that. That doesn't mean the Sox don't care about the development of the others just because Robert is the priority.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

They aren't going to demote anyone following 2 weeks of play. I guess if Rutherford struggled into June, it's a small possibility, but in reality you don't really want to send anyone down. If he can't figure out his struggles at AA he's probably doomed. He will get an entire year at the level and if he shows no progress he'll repeat the level but it seems really unlikely they'll send him down a level.

What is your answer when Robert, Basabe, Adolfo, Gonzalez and Rutherford are all in BIrmingham together? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×