How long before a Cease promotion?

JUSTgottaBELIEVE

Let’s say the Sox are hanging around .500 in early May and just a couple games back in this terrible division, would the Sox consider a promotion for Dylan Cease? Looks like he’s ready and they’d have the extra year of control by then so that’d be a non-factor in the decision. Thus far it seems like they are keeping his pitch count and innings down in Charlotte for a reason.

4 minutes ago, Scoots said:

It's only been 2 starts. I think if he continues this, mid June or early July, after maybe 10-15 starts.

If they plan to bring Cease up soon, I think they should keep doing the 5 inning starts until Memorial day and then ramp him up for a call up.

Edited by Jack Parkman

9 minutes ago, Scoots said:

It's only been 2 starts. I think if he continues this, mid June or early July, after maybe 10-15 starts.

Normally I would agree but he was so dominant last year and he’s already 23. Unless he starts getting knocked around, I think he’ll be up before the end of May. Santana should be due for a trip to the IL by then, if not sooner.

31 minutes ago, Scoots said:

I agree.  Best case scenario, if he’s sporting a sub 2.00 ERA after 8-10 starts I could see them calling him up at the beginning of June.  Otherwise, I think late June / early July is likely.

42 minutes ago, Cashman said:

I want Cease up ASAP with what is happening with all these TJ's and he already having one. The problem is, the amount of innings he has thrown as a pro, and I wanna say he was around or a smidge over 100ip last year.

124. Which is fine, ramp him up to 150 this year and go from there. 

Based on previous years, the White Sox will probably need to keep his service time under 120 days on the big league roster if they want to get around the "Super-2" deadline where he would make more money by having one more arbitration year. That would put him sometime around early July.