1. 1. Should we sign Swihart and Cut Castillo

• Yes
    • No
    • Wait why aren't we cutting McCann?

So here's the pros for claiming him.

- Strong arm

- Hits better from left side, and currently have 2 RH catchers

- is 27

- Can play OF, so if Seby makes a play this year we can move him around if we like him and play him as our catcher when mccann moves on

- Makes 900k

Cons:

- Not a good receiver (though castillo hasn't been with us either)

- Not good at blocking pitches.

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

True.  I would swap him out for McCann but honestly they are both replacement level.  Swihart is a bit younger but hasn't hit any more than McCann.

Hits from left side though, at least.

13 minutes ago, mqr said:

This is what rebuilds are for, taking a shot on guys like this. 

Certainly true.
Considering he's been on the 25 with a contending team for a contending team for so long, I would have expected some good numbers somewhere....He does walk some.  Adam Dunn, without the power.   That's all I've got.

The only risk in grabbing him that I can see is the lost opportunity cost should Wellington pull it together, have a good year and become moveable in July. 

Edited by GreenSox

35 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Looks to me like Boston pitchers wanted Swihart gone. Not exactly a vote of confidence for the guy coming to the Sox.

Swihart can't catch and he can't hit. Pass.

Neither can Castillo. No one will miss Wellington if he is released. Maybe San Diego will claim him and he can go play with his boy out there. 

1 hour ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

We have long been linked to him. I'd dfa him for McCann personally. 

You may have an argument but it's not happening. If everyone takes a look at the split of McCann and Castillo starting behind the plate you'll notice that McCann always catches Rodon and Giolito. That's by design and not going to change.

Rodon's "camp" - we'll say - has been very vocal in the past about the lack of quality catching on the MLB roster. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Looks to me like Boston pitchers wanted Swihart gone. Not exactly a vote of confidence for the guy coming to the Sox.

Swihart can't catch and he can't hit. Pass.

If that's true then ya, I'm out

4 minutes ago, mqr said:

If that's true then ya, I'm out

Those rumblings have existed in Boston now across multiple rotation changes as well - which is even more damning. That was the knock on Swihart 3 years ago, and it's still the knock today. 

McCann and Wellington have both had better offensive seasons than Swihart too and McCann is only 1 year older. Funny that people hate McCann but want Swihart. He hasn't been a big prospect for 5 years.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

12 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Those rumblings have existed in Boston now across multiple rotation changes as well - which is even more damning. That was the knock on Swihart 3 years ago, and it's still the knock today. 

McCann and Wellington have both had better offensive seasons than Swihart too and McCann is only 1 year older. Funny that people hate McCann but want Swihart. He hasn't been a big prospect for 5 years.

Costs 3x less, younger, more control, plays more positions, hits left handed (way) better than right. Seems pretty straight forward.