bmags

Sign Swihart / Cut Castillo  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign Swihart and Cut Castillo

• Yes
    • No
    • Wait why aren't we cutting McCann?

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Costs 3x less, younger, more control, plays more positions, hits left handed (way) better than right. Seems pretty straight forward.

The control doesn't matter - I don't think the Sox want another catcher with organizational control on their 40 man roster. Seby and Collins are too close.

Cheaper is a valid comment, sure, but Swihart isn't a MLB catcher.

Plays more positions? I have no interest in signing Swihart to watch him hit 220 playing a bad defensive left field.

McCann is a better catcher than Swihart. I'd rather have McCann personally.

• Like 1

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The control doesn't matter - I don't think the Sox want another catcher with organizational control on their 40 man roster. Seby and Collins are too close.

Plays more positions? I have no interest in signing Swihart to watch him hit 220 playing a bad defensive left field.

A LH platoon hitter for 900 k that can play multiple positions including catcher and allow the smooth transition to our future catchers seems like a good deal. Is paying 8 million for our large bad receiving catcher Wellington Castillo through the year some tremendous advantage? James McCann has a one year deal, consider this a tryout for both.

I mean we can drop nicky delmonico for that.

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Of course control matters and McCann is on a 1 year contract.  If there's a crowd they  can make a trade.

Meanwhile Swihart could play OF.

They  wouldn't claim Swihart in hopes that he replicates what he did in Boston....they would claim him thinking they could improve him.  And he was well-regarded at one point, so perhaps he can be fixed.

Edited by GreenSox

Both Castillo and McCann will be gone after this season and Castillo’s salary is a sunk cost already.  Unless he gets hotter than sh!t, no one is giving up a decent prospect for him.  May as well see what Swihart can do with the at bats.

Edited by Harper2Sox

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The White Sox are going to improve a player the Red Sox could not?

That's pretty laughable. They all suck, who really cares about any of them?

Exactly. They all suck and nobody wants them except garbage teams.  The real question is who is the White Sox starting catcher on Opening Day 2020. Seby Zavala? Zach Collins? Other? 

14 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The White Sox are going to improve a player the Red Sox could not?

That's pretty laughable. They all suck, who really cares about any of them?

He may improve himself. He had good prospect stock, then injuries, then inconsistent playtime. That is pretty much the ideal recipe for a team like the white sox that can offer playing time.

And again, I care. He's pretty much free. He'd be a really nice second catcher option while we wait for Zevala and Collins because he's cheap, has control, has a good arm, and is a good platoon for RH catchers and presumably Zevala is up first and we currently have 2 RH catchers, and has some nice platoon capability since he plays other positions.

Is that going to win us a world series? No, but there's a reason when he was DFA'd a bunch of baseball writers did not believe he'd make it to AAA. He has value. And maybe getting some valuable players is better than not.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

He may improve himself. He had good prospect stock, then injuries, then inconsistent playtime. That is pretty much the ideal recipe for a team like the white sox that can offer playing time.

And again, I care. He's pretty much free. He'd be a really nice second catcher option while we wait for Zevala and Collins because he's cheap, has control, has a good arm, and is a good platoon for RH catchers and presumably Zevala is up first and we currently have 2 RH catchers, and has some nice platoon capability since he plays other positions.

Is that going to win us a world series? No, but there's a reason when he was DFA'd a bunch of baseball writers did not believe he'd make it to AAA. He has value. And maybe getting some valuable players is better than not.

With the knock on his catching he just isn't a good fit for the young pitchers. That's the reason the Sox got rid of Narvaez . They couldn't fix Narvaez and it's highly doubtful they fix Swihart. The Sox are going to try Seby and Collins who also have defensive question marks although we've heard the pitchers seem to like them both . Collins will be good for HRs and has a strong arm and should walk his fair share. Why keep screwing around with catchers when we already are basically trying out McCann because of his youth and have Seby and Collins just around the corner .Castillo has plenty of time to start hitting .might as well just wait and see if he can be moved for anything.

8 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Hell no Swihart is Omar Narvaez without the hitting. Say no to bad defense. Castillo is better, McCann is better.

In BPs fielding runs above average in 2018, Swihart comes in at 63rd, Castillo comes in at 103. I get some people may not be swayed by that, but I haven't seen anything to indicate he's specifically worse at defense than Castillo, who has not been as good of a framer here as he was in baltimore, nor been able to throw out 40% of base stealers.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

With the knock on his catching he just isn't a good fit for the young pitchers. That's the reason the Sox got rid of Narvaez . They couldn't fix Narvaez and it's highly doubtful they fix Swihart. The Sox are going to try Seby and Collins who also have defensive question marks although we've heard the pitchers seem to like them both . Collins will be good for HRs and has a strong arm and should walk his fair share. Why keep screwing around with catchers when we already are basically trying out McCann because of his youth and have Seby and Collins just around the corner .Castillo has plenty of time to start hitting .might as well just wait and see if he can be moved for anything.

How exactly does acquiring Swihart prevent any of this? 

He’s more or less the same suck (Castillo minus his PEDs) that we already have but he’s younger.  May as well replace the older proven suck with the younger suck that may have a sliver of a chance at improving.

Colome looks good but ultimately if we wanted a good youngish backup catcher, we should have kept Narvaez.  He is now hitting .281 with a .773 OPS and 3 homeruns.  Apparently, the Sox CAN develop some hitters (Tatis Jr. and Narvaez) but they can’t identify their talent and end up trading them away.

Edited by Harper2Sox

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

What do you propose ? Seby and Collins are at AAA where do you put Swihart ?

Catcher? And when Collins is ready you can either have 2 LH hitters that can play C/1b/DH and one that can play outfield, or you DFA Swihart if he sucks and they are better. And what you will have been out is...Swihart's salary.

He's a waiver claim. 

25 minutes ago, bmags said:

He wont make it to AAA because catcher is the shallowest position in baseball - pair that with former top prospect status and someone will always take a look.

Swihart is the worst receiver in baseball. I just see no value in giving him to a young pitching staff.

18 minutes ago, bmags said:

In BPs fielding runs above average in 2018, Swihart comes in at 63rd, Castillo comes in at 103. I get some people may not be swayed by that, but I haven't seen anything to indicate he's specifically worse at defense than Castillo, who has not been as good of a framer here as he was in baltimore, nor been able to throw out 40% of base stealers.

Using a singular defensive metric to evaluate a catcher in a single year has a confidence rating of about .1.

Castillo isnt a very good defensive catcher but he has a career of receiving and hitting - something swihart doesnt. Swihart has had multiple pitchers in his career ask to not throw to him. Maybe Castillo has that but I've never heard I'd it.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

Catcher? And when Collins is ready you can either have 2 LH hitters that can play C/1b/DH and one that can play outfield, or you DFA Swihart if he sucks and they are better. And what you will have been out is...Swihart's salary.

He's a waiver claim. 

Do I have to be so specific ? If he's not catching at AAA then he's on the ML roster . Who do you replace ? Trade Castillo now ? You expect any takers the way he is currently hitting and to absorb the rest of his salary ? McCann is playing well for now and Rodon and others seems to like him.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Do I have to be so specific ? If he's not catching at AAA then he's on the ML roster . Who do you replace ? Trade Castillo now ? You expect any takers the way he is currently hitting and to absorb the rest of his salary ? McCann is playing well for now and Rodon and others seems to like him.

I literally placed it in the title of the thread. I don't understand why I should care about absorbing Castillo's salary. We only paid half of it last year anyway.

Just now, bmags said:

I literally placed it in the title of the thread. I don't understand why I should care about absorbing Castillo's salary. We only paid half of it last year anyway.

Because there's a small chance he starts doing better and is actually movable or an injury occurs on another team. I tend to believe the reports Swihart isn't well regarded by pitchers . I just don't want the young pitchers dealing with that when that's the reason Narvaez is gone. You may not like Castillo's defense but pitch framing is a totally inconsistent stat and base stealing stats are dependent to variable degrees on the pitchers. While we all saw and complained about Narvaez' defense I didn't hear much about Castillo being so bad once he came back from his suspension. The Sox are not as likely to absorb his salary as you are I'm sure.

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Using a singular defensive metric to evaluate a catcher in a single year has a confidence rating of about .1.

Castillo isnt a very good defensive catcher but he has a career of receiving and hitting - something swihart doesnt. Swihart has had multiple pitchers in his career ask to not throw to him. Maybe Castillo has that but I've never heard I'd it.

Castillo has had one positive framing year and one positive defensive runs saved year and with the sox he's been bad in both. Swihart has had two positive framing years. Castillo is not a good defensive catcher.

3 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Of course control matters and McCann is on a 1 year contract.  If there's a crowd they  can make a trade.

Meanwhile Swihart could play OF.

They  wouldn't claim Swihart in hopes that he replicates what he did in Boston....they would claim him thinking they could improve him.  And he was well-regarded at one point, so perhaps he can be fixed.

By the White Sox?  We don't fix 'em, we break 'em.  Other teams fix what we break.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bmags said:

Castillo has had one positive framing year and one positive defensive runs saved year and with the sox he's been bad in both. Swihart has had two positive framing years. Castillo is not a good defensive catcher.

Castillo is a below average defensive catcher for his career - I wouldnt say hes bad but hes certainly not good. 

Citing a framing stat for a catcher that pitchers dont want to throw too isnt too valuable. So he calls a shit game but catches the shit pitches nicely?

Based on the fact that no one likes throwing to him (this based on 5 years of these rumblings in Boston) I'd guess hes either:

1. Not doing his homework and his hitter knowledge paired with the knowledge of his pitchers strength dont mesh and they arent accurate.

2. He doesnt understand the information he's been given so he can not properly apply it.

Regardless it's been a critique of Swihart for 5 years and hes shown no improvement. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1