bmags

Sign Swihart / Cut Castillo  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign Swihart and Cut Castillo

• Yes
    • No
    • Wait why aren't we cutting McCann?

6 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

He costs 3x less, but if you cut Welington, you're still paying him regardless.

8 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Yep so you would have to trade him or eat the cost of his salary. After all the bellyaching around here about all the money wasted for scrubs n now we're just going to absorb Castillo's salary ? Not a chance especially when he can turn his season around and maybe net a lottery ticket or maybe even some Intl. money if someone gets hurt on another team .

3 hours ago, bmags said:

So here's the pros for claiming him.

- Strong arm

- Hits better from left side, and currently have 2 RH catchers

- is 27

- Can play OF, so if Seby makes a play this year we can move him around if we like him and play him as our catcher when mccann moves on

- Makes 900k

Cons:

- Not a good receiver (though castillo hasn't been with us either)

- Not good at blocking pitches.

He can also play 1st base. 

27 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

His comment was about it being funny that people would hate McCann signing but like swihart. There's reasons for that, which I provided.

16 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yep so you would have to trade him or eat the cost of his salary. After all the bellyaching around here about all the money wasted for scrubs n now we're just going to absorb Castillo's salary ? Not a chance especially when he can turn his season around and maybe net a lottery ticket or maybe even some Intl. money if someone gets hurt on another team .

People bellyached about market salary to average to below average players because it adds up and can prevent acquiring other players when they become available. If Wellington's salary is used as a basis for not acquiring an interesting catcher who is cheaper and offers longer control options, then that is justified.

And this idea that Castillo is a flip candidate, give me a break. Here's your flip, trading castillo for a former top catching prospect who has been injured but might catch on. About as good as you'd get anyway.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You missed the point.  Intelligent fans don’t want Hahn to waste millions here and there signing scrub players and instead pool the money together for one good player.  Hahn has wasted millions on his dumpster diving efforts.  All those millions add up.

3 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I didn't realize Swihart was a High School  SS that the Red Sox converted to a catcher. Only 600 MLB at-bats.  Stick him in AAA and see if the bat comes alive. He can play LF, C, IB. Small gamble. 

https://985thesportshub.com/2019/04/16/mccarthy-red-sox-panic-with-swihart-move/

We can't stick him in AAA, he'd have to clear waivers.

1 hour ago, Harper2Sox said:

You missed the point.  Intelligent fans don’t want Hahn to waste millions here and there signing scrub players and instead pool the money together for one good player.  Hahn has wasted millions on his dumpster diving efforts.  All those millions add up.

Intelligent fans also realize that salaries are on a year to year basis. Saving money this year does not mean we can spend more next year. Otherwise since this is year 3 of the rebuild the Sox could afford to pay for better players as you suggest. But they haven't; Why ? Because we are rebuilding and better players may not fit the contention window as I have been told often enough when I wanted JD Martinez last year  or Mike Moustaskas who was ridiculously inexpensive who got flipped for some decent guys. I am all for getting better players but since we are rebuilding and apparently tanking this year getting good players now only hurts draft position . I hated it just as much as you that we didn't get Machado or Harper however unlike you I see the value in guys like Colome Herrera Nova and McCann . Alonso and Jay are a whole other story since their main purpose was luring Machado and we all knew going in if we ended up with Machado they were fine and if not it was a disaster.

Are not Colome and Herrera better players ? Yet you continue to call them a waste. I don't see how on one hand you call them a waste and yet you want better players.

Have your cake and eat it too I I guess and contradict yourself.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

People bellyached about market salary to average to below average players because it adds up and can prevent acquiring other players when they become available. If Wellington's salary is used as a basis for not acquiring an interesting catcher who is cheaper and offers longer control options, then that is justified.

And this idea that Castillo is a flip candidate, give me a break. Here's your flip, trading castillo for a former top catching prospect who has been injured but might catch on. About as good as you'd get anyway.

No people b****ed about everyone who wasn't Machado even though someone had to be brought in to eat innings and we did need good reliable BP pieces. All off season all I heard was Nova was a waste, we could get better cheaper innings eaters for 1 year and when I challenged anyone to tell me of better cheaper innings eaters who we could keep for only a year all I got was multiple posters giving me names of 2018 injured pitchers over and over again like they had no idea the definition of such a self explanatory term as innings eater.If Colome Herrera and Nova was not wasted money who exactly does that leave as wasted money ? ALonso and Jay of course but we all knew going in that those moves would suck if we didnt get Manny and all would be right with the world if we did.

18 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Intelligent fans also realize that salaries are on a year to year basis. Saving money this year does not mean we can spend more next year. Otherwise since this is year 3 of the rebuild the Sox could afford to pay for better players as you suggest. But they haven't; Why ? Because we are rebuilding and better players may not fit the contention window as I have been told often enough when I wanted JD Martinez last year  or Mike Moustaskas who was ridiculously inexpensive who got flipped for some decent guys. I am all for getting better players but since we are rebuilding and apparently tanking this year getting good players now only hurts draft position . I hated it just as much as you that we didn't get Machado or Harper however unlike you I see the value in guys like Colome Herrera Nova and McCann . Alonso and Jay are a whole other story since their main purpose was luring Machado and we all knew going in if we ended up with Machado they were fine and if not it was a disaster.

Are not Colome and Herrera better players ? Yet you continue to call them a waste. I don't see how on one hand you call them a waste and yet you want better players.

Have your cake and eat it too I I guess and contradict yourself.

Read it and weep, my friend...

Edited by Harper2Sox

It's an easy decision for me. Claim Swihart and trade McCann.

McCann is only going to be around a year anyways. He's done enough that some team could use him as a backup. Saihart is under control to 2023 take your chances and see if you can get at least a backup guy C out of him

He wouldn't be blocking anybody as far as the Redsox goes they made a reactionary move due to their pitching imploding. Did Leon help Sale at all last night?

Edited by wrathofhahn

18 hours ago, bmags said:

I doubt ownership wants to eat Castillo money. He can be flipped later anyways he is a much better hitter then he has shown so far. The guy to move is McCann.

7 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

It's an easy decision for me. Claim Swihart and trade McCann.

McCann is only going to be around a year anyways. He's done enough that some team could use him as a backup. Saihart is under control to 2023 take your chances and see if you can get at least a backup guy C out of him

He wouldn't be blocking anybody as far as the Redsox goes they made a reactionary move due to their pitching imploding. Did Leon help Sale at all last night?

Red Sox pitchers have complained about Swihart as a receiver for years. It didn‘t matter who was on the staff, who the coaches were or who the manger was. Everybody said that Swihart sucks as a receiver. That‘s a huge red flag and it‘s not like his bat has played in the majors.

I don't think this will happen for the following reasons.

1) Sox have had catchers that are terrible working with pitchers since Flowers left. Given the Sox willingness to dump Narvaez so quickly (given his career progression) and the Sox opting to sign McCann early in the offseason with better options available (implies he was a "target"), it seems game managing is a priority for the Sox. Swihart's reputation is that pitchers don't like throwing to him.

2) McCann is the catcher for Rodon/Giolito. I don't think the Sox want to deviate from that path for an incremental upgrade.

3) Collins has a role on the 2019 lineup. I don't see how he and Swihart coexist on the roster.

4) If Swihart is not the best catcher/game caller, the assumption is you're acquiring him for his bat. His performance is shockingly bad. I know the BoSox have jerked him around and perhaps mismanaged his career but there is no track record to speak of here.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I don't think this will happen for the following reasons.

1) Sox have had catchers that are terrible working with pitchers since Flowers left. Given the Sox willingness to dump Narvaez so quickly (given his career progression) and the Sox opting to sign McCann early in the offseason with better options available (implies he was a "target"), it seems game managing is a priority for the Sox. Swihart's reputation is that pitchers don't like throwing to him.

2) McCann is the catcher for Rodon/Giolito. I don't think the Sox want to deviate from that path for an incremental upgrade.

3) Collins has a role on the 2019 lineup. I don't see how he and Swihart coexist on the roster.

4) If Swihart is not the best catcher/game caller, the assumption is you're acquiring him for his bat. His performance is shockingly bad. I know the BoSox have jerked him around and perhaps mismanaged his career but there is no track record to speak of here.

100% agree.  At this point, I care more about the handling of the young arms than the potential offensive upside Swihart might bring to the table.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

100% agree.  At this point, I care more about the handling of the young arms than the potential offensive upside Swihart might bring to the table.

I care about getting as many assets as possible.

Maybe Swihart ends up being nothing but who cares when we are talking about the alternative of McCann

2 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

I care about getting as many assets as possible.

Maybe Swihart ends up being nothing but who cares when we are talking about the alternative of McCann

Because McCann has been Rodon & Giolito’s personal catcher this year and so far both have show some real promise.  I’d rather not disrupt that in hopes of Swihart turning into a backup catcher.

25 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Because McCann has been Rodon & Giolito’s personal catcher this year and so far both have show some real promise.  I’d rather not disrupt that in hopes of Swihart turning into a backup catcher.

McCann is on a 1yr deal and is likely not part of our longterm plans so why worry about it? Too much focus is put on the catchers everyone in Boston was thrilled with the move until Sale pitched and was straight trash despite finding his missing velo.

If he becomes a problem we can DFA anyways. He's free. He's basically just a shot in the dark and there is upside on Swihart part to be more then that but we can play him in a backup role for the time being.

Edited by wrathofhahn

Just now, wrathofhahn said:

McCann is on a 1yr deal and is likely not part of our longterm plans so why worry about it? Too much focus is put on the catchers everyone in Boston was thrilled with the move until Sale pitched and was straight trash despite finding his missing velo.

If he becomes a problem we can DFA anyways. He's free. He's basically just a shot in the dark.

A shot in the dark that potentially disrupts the development of our young pitching.  I just don’t see how the reward is worth the risk.

6 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

If he becomes a problem we can DFA anyways. He's free. He's basically just a shot in the dark and there is upside on Swihart part to be more then that but we can play him in a backup role for the time being.

McCann is actually controllable for next year as well. He's still in the arb process. I don't want the guy that pitchers over the years complain about throwing to.

Edited by soxfan2014

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

A shot in the dark that potentially disrupts the development of our young pitching.  I just don’t see how the reward is worth the risk.

I don't see it that way and if we can't even take a small chance on former top 20 prospects in a backup role (to start) then this team is never going to be successful.

I don't know why were weren't more in on Pham either last deadline. One of the benefits of being bad and rebuilding is we should be able to take chances on buy low guys and not worry if the move doesn't work out. There is no benefit really to having a 4A guy like McCann on a 1yr deal.

6 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

I don't see it that way and if we can't even take a small chance on former top 20 prospects in a backup role (to start) then this team is never going to be successful.

I don't know why were weren't more in on Pham either last deadline. One of the benefits of being bad and rebuilding is we should be able to take chances on buy low guys and not worry if the move doesn't work out. There is no benefit really to having a 4A guy like McCann on a 1yr deal.

I’d normally agree, but catcher is the one spot I don’t like fucking around with.  Forcing a bad receiver on our young pitchers is a risk simply not worth taking IMO.  Also, FWIW, McCann is under team control for one more year if we want him.

• Like 1