Jump to content
bmags

Anyone else want to claim Swihart / DFA Castillo

Sign Swihart / Cut Castillo  

71 members have voted

  1. 1. Should we sign Swihart and Cut Castillo

    • Yes
      26
    • No
      28
    • Wait why aren't we cutting McCann?
      16


Recommended Posts

My problem with Swihart is that he was once considered perhaps the top catching prospect and just needed to show the bat more, but then he jumped too fast through the minors, never hit, and the limited data on his catcher defense in MLB suggests he's been bad.

If his outfield defense is okay and the Sox really like him, they could always stick him in RF for the time being.

Edited by Jake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2019 at 3:35 PM, Harper2Sox said:

 

Read it and weep, my friend...

 

 

Why would I weep ? I have been as vocal, if not more so, of Hahn's tenure as anyone . He's terrible and he isn't helped by the owner. Part of Balta's argument is that another thing that makes Hahn horrible is he can't convince Reinsdorf to spend money. Hahn as much chance to convince Reinsdorf to spend money as I do to convince you to lighten up.

Reinsdorf has signed 1 free agent to a big contract and that was Albert Belle and it wasn't a GM who convinced him. It was all Reinsdorf . Everyone else has been B level free agents at best. Reinsdorf will give $50-60M to unproven talent (Abreu/Robert) sure, but he knows he will have them a long time. Even the Belle contract Reinsdorf had a way out of it. Machado ? "All he had to do is stay healthy" and voila $350M but yet couldn't guarantee $300  . He has a real hard time just giving money to guys who might actually hurt the team ( or his pocketbook) financially down the line due to injury and non performance no matter how young and studly that player appears (Machado/Harper). Frank Thomas, diminishing skills clause. It all flows from the top of the mountain on down.

 

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Swihart +int pool money to Arizona for  Marcus Wilson the 20th ranked dbacks prospect.

 

Think the dbacks have a bunch of catchers now. So the circle goes on and on...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, elrockinMT said:

Swisher was traded to AZ

Nick Swisher is still playing?!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Nick Swisher is still playing?!

I thought I had corrected the autocorrect that had incorrectly corrected the ori

 

7 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Nick Swisher is still playing?!

It’s Swihart for crying out loud 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The "wait why aren't we cutting McCann" option is not aging well. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2019 at 3:36 PM, Harper2Sox said:

You missed the point.  Intelligent fans don’t want Hahn to waste millions here and there signing scrub players and instead pool the money together for one good player.  Hahn has wasted millions on his dumpster diving efforts.  All those millions add up.

I’m looking forward to a few years from now when Manny Machado shows up on one of those annual “top ten worst contracts in MLB” lists. The irony will be splendid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I’m looking forward to a few years from now when Manny Machado shows up on one of those annual “top ten worst contracts in MLB” lists. The irony will be splendid.

Why do you expect this?  And why would that be ironic?  Our front office was prepared to pay him like $250M over 8 years, so clearly they don’t think he’ll be some scrub in a few years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why do you expect this?  And why would that be ironic?  Our front office was prepared to pay him like $250M over 8 years, so clearly they don’t think he’ll be some scrub in a few years.

I don’t expect his bat to offset his eventual decline defensively. I’ve always been suspicious of many guys on that Orioles team, and now that Manny got his money I expect we will see a decline in his offensive performance, likely as soon as this season.

Ironic because the Sox tried so hard to get him, the fans were pissed they didn’t, but then will be grateful they missed on him in a few years when the Sox are in the midst of their contention window.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After a bad stint with the Dbacks, Swihart is available once again!  Who wants him?  It’s worth noting that Swihart only had 70 plate appearances with Arizona because he has been on the IR with a strained right oblique since June 1st.

I could see the Sox possibly biting this time because he might make it to them via waivers.  The Dbacks traded for him last time around.  Hahn loves other team’s former first round picks.

This time around, it makes even more sense.  No one wanted Beef Welington at the trade deadline and he is simply dead weight at this point.  Swihart probably sucks but has 3 more seasons of control and the Sox aren’t planning to call up Collins again this season.  McCann, Collins, and Swihart could be a decent trio to start next season with if the Sox won’t throw money at Grandal.

Diamondbacks designated C/OF Blake Swihart for assignment.

Swihart was batting just .136/.186/.273 in 31 games with the Diamondbacks, who acquired him from the Red Sox in mid-April. He missed most of June and all of July with a severe right oblique strain.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

After a bad stint with the Dbacks, Swihart is available once again!  Who wants him?  It’s worth noting that Swihart only had 70 plate appearances with Arizona because he has been on the IR with a strained right oblique since June 1st.

I could see the Sox possibly biting this time because he might make it to them via waivers.  The Dbacks traded for him last time around.  Hahn loves other team’s former first round picks.

This time around, it makes even more sense.  No one wanted Beef Welington at the trade deadline and he is simply dead weight at this point.  Swihart probably sucks but has 3 more seasons of control and the Sox aren’t planning to call up Collins again this season.  McCann, Collins, and Swihart could be a decent trio to start next season with if the Sox won’t throw money at Grandal.

Diamondbacks designated C/OF Blake Swihart for assignment.

Swihart was batting just .136/.186/.273 in 31 games with the Diamondbacks, who acquired him from the Red Sox in mid-April. He missed most of June and all of July with a severe right oblique strain.

IF they are actually serious about not calling Collins up the rest of the year then sure, go ahead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

IF they are actually serious about not calling Collins up the rest of the year then sure, go ahead.

I’d give him a tryout for the rest of the season.  After all, we are wasting at bats on Goins and Skole already.  Jay is as much of a sunk cost as Castillo right now.

I noticed Swihart has played C, 1B, LF, And RF this year.  That is some interesting versatility, but he has to hit of course.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"I'll take no for a 100 Alex."

Don't think he brings anything over what we have and further blocks Yermin!  I do expect Collins and Zavala up when rosters expand and/or minor league season ends.

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BamaDoc said:

"I'll take no for a 100 Alex."

Don't think he brings anything over what we have and further blocks Yermin!  I do expect Collins and Zavala up when rosters expand and/or minor league season ends.

 

 

Yermin is a DH and Zavala’s K rate screams career minor leaguer.  Also, Hahn has already said Collins isn’t coming back up this season.

There is more than enough room for both Yermin and Swihart if Hahn would stop wasting at bats on Castillo, Jay, Goins, and Skole.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dick Allen said:

If Bos and AZ can't get him to hit, I'm not sure why anyone would even consider the White Sox could. 

Bos and AZ don’t have Todd Steverson!

 

Ah, I give up.  Good point.  😂😉

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

After a bad stint with the Dbacks, Swihart is available once again!  Who wants him?  It’s worth noting that Swihart only had 70 plate appearances with Arizona because he has been on the IR with a strained right oblique since June 1st.

I could see the Sox possibly biting this time because he might make it to them via waivers.  The Dbacks traded for him last time around.  Hahn loves other team’s former first round picks.

This time around, it makes even more sense.  No one wanted Beef Welington at the trade deadline and he is simply dead weight at this point.  Swihart probably sucks but has 3 more seasons of control and the Sox aren’t planning to call up Collins again this season.  McCann, Collins, and Swihart could be a decent trio to start next season with if the Sox won’t throw money at Grandal.

Diamondbacks designated C/OF Blake Swihart for assignment.

Swihart was batting just .136/.186/.273 in 31 games with the Diamondbacks, who acquired him from the Red Sox in mid-April. He missed most of June and all of July with a severe right oblique strain.

Appears to be right up our alley.  By all means sign him up and Renteria will immediately put him in the lineup at DH and of course batting 4th. ^_^

  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2019 at 12:56 AM, bmags said:

So here's the pros for claiming him.

- Strong arm

- Hits better from left side, and currently have 2 RH catchers

- is 27

- Can play OF, so if Seby makes a play this year we can move him around if we like him and play him as our catcher when mccann moves on

- Makes 900k

Cons:

- Not a good receiver (though castillo hasn't been with us either)

- Not good at blocking pitches.

 

You forgot that a claim here blocks Collins yet again, so the “conspiracy theorists” can make hay with the fact that the organization keeps figuring out ways to prevent him from being on the big league roster again in favor of Castillo, AJ Reed, Matt Skole, etc.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I’d give him a tryout for the rest of the season.  After all, we are wasting at bats on Goins and Skole already.  Jay is as much of a sunk cost as Castillo right now.

I noticed Swihart has played C, 1B, LF, And RF this year.  That is some interesting versatility, but he has to hit of course.

He has but he also has caught less the last two seasons. He really had one good season his rookie year in 2015. I assume injuries have affected him but it doesn't hurt to give him a shot.  He is a switch-hitter but he has always been lousy as a RH. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

He has but he also has caught less the last two seasons. He really had one good season his rookie year in 2015. I assume injuries have affected him but it doesn't hurt to give him a shot.  He is a switch-hitter but he has always been lousy as a RH. 

True, I agree with you.  He will likely suck but I still don’t see the downside.  We are eating Welington Castillo’s money regardless and he is gone after this season.  Cut him loose and try Swihart.  For the cost of a waiver claim ($50,000) the Sox can get a catcher/utility lefty who they can give a few at bats to until the end of the season.  If he beats the tiny odds and actually looks halfway decent, you have control of him for three more seasons.  If he sucks, you are out $50K.  I’d rather see what Collins can do but it doesn’t sound like he will be back up this season according to Hahn.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

If Bos and AZ can't get him to hit, I'm not sure why anyone would even consider the White Sox could. 

Oh wait you weren't impressed what the Sox did with Reed? 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SCCWS said:

He has but he also has caught less the last two seasons. He really had one good season his rookie year in 2015. I assume injuries have affected him but it doesn't hurt to give him a shot.  He is a switch-hitter but he has always been lousy as a RH. 

We need more brittle players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

True, I agree with you.  He will likely suck but I still don’t see the downside.  We are eating Welington Castillo’s money regardless and he is gone after this season.  Cut him loose and try Swihart.  For the cost of a waiver claim ($50,000) the Sox can get a catcher/utility lefty who they can give a few at bats to until the end of the season.  If he beats the tiny odds and actually looks halfway decent, you have control of him for three more seasons.  If he sucks, you are out $50K.  I’d rather see what Collins can do but it doesn’t sound like he will be back up this season according to Hahn.

Listen to yourself LOL The  downside is he would suck. Castillo is gone at end of season. Collins will be up in 2020 with McCann

Edited by elrockinMT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×