Jump to content

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Ya got me, Jack. I do think Yolmer sucks and always has, and I think this board is far too hyped up on prospects who will never make a significant impact in MLB (Basabe, Adolfo, Lambert, Stiever, Curbelo, Rivera, Nunez, Bush, Pilkington, etc).

However, due to solid hit tools, I do have high hopes for Madrigal, LGon, and Blake.

Adolfo has a much better chance of being a big leaguer than Rutherford.  Same with Basabe.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Who the hell is "hyped" on any of those guys you mentioned? I think we all *hope* Adolfo, Basabe, Bush and Pilkington are contributors but I wouldn't say "hyped." As for the others you mentioned, any success they have is gravy.

I don't have quotes saved for most, but someone just the other day was lamenting that he finally thinks Curbelo is going to be a bust. What took so long??? Four years, 600 PAs, none above Kanny, and he strikes out 25% of the time! I laugh every time I see someone wondering when he was going to come back from one of his omnipresent injuries. Who cares? Time for him to get an honest job!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, fathom said:

Adolfo has a much better chance of being a big leaguer than Rutherford.  Same with Basabe.

Both Adolfo and Basabe has K-rates of 27% at A-AA last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that we've established Robert *can* successfully steal bases, is it being overly cautious to say he should stop doing so? Doesn't seem like him developing as a base stealer is worth the risk of potentially getting injured again and missing PA's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, The Sir said:

I don't have quotes saved for most, but someone just the other day was lamenting that he finally thinks Curbelo is going to be a bust. What took so long??? Four years, 600 PAs, none above Kanny, and he strikes out 25% of the time! I laugh every time I see someone wondering when he was going to come back from one of his omnipresent injuries. Who cares? Time for him to get an honest job!

But no one was hyped for him. They simply were being patient for him, but it's not like they went from "he's awesome!" to "oh he sucks."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, fathom said:

Adolfo has a much better chance of being a big leaguer than Rutherford.  Same with Basabe.

100% agree.  Blake has an uphill battle in front of him unless he adds some serious muscle or radically changes his swing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only percentages allowed in this thread are k rate!  We laugh at prospects injuries and ridicule them for their k rate. It’s a fun thread.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, The Sir said:

I don't have quotes saved for most, but someone just the other day was lamenting that he finally thinks Curbelo is going to be a bust. What took so long??? Four years, 600 PAs, none above Kanny, and he strikes out 25% of the time! I laugh every time I see someone wondering when he was going to come back from one of his omnipresent injuries. Who cares? Time for him to get an honest job!

What took so long?  The kid is 21 years old and doesn’t even have a full season of at-bats under his belt.  Most people would give him some time to actually develop, but obviously all you need is one metric and a SSS to write a kid with legit tools off.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What took so long?  The kid is 21 years old and doesn’t even have a full season of at-bats under his belt.  Most people would give him some time to actually develop, but obviously all you need is one metric and a SSS to write a kid with legit tools off.

One metric? He doesn't hit for average, he doesn't have power, he doesn't steal bases, he doesn't walk, he does strike out a ton, he is a zero tool player at low-A. I wish him the best...at selling cars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Sir said:

One metric? He doesn't hit for average, he doesn't have power, he doesn't steal bases, he doesn't walk, he does strike out a ton, he is a zero tool player at low-A. I wish him the best...at selling cars.

Zero tools?  Do you actually understand what tools are?  And JFC, he’s a former HS pick (a raw one no less) who has less than 600 professional at-bats.  It should surprise no one his results have been poor so far.  That being said, this idea that he can’t get better is just plain stupid.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know, this prospect poo-pooing thing goes on in all of these game threads and frankly makes them boring. Can the mods made a thread for all the naysayers to go have their say so that these game threads can be what I care about? The raw stats and videos from the minors. I don't give a crap to read for the nth time how Rutherford is a bust because it's still April and he hasn't hit a lick. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fathom said:

Some good videos of Robert and Madrigal from tonight. Still don’t like what I’m seeing from Nick’s leg kick

https://mobile.twitter.com/Toby_1_Ketobi

Reminds me of Pedroia...but an even smaller guy.  Which is hard to believe.

I know what you mean but I would keep it until it becomes an issue that he can't stay on FB (which will probably happen).  He will probably need to tweak it at some point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BFirebird said:

Reminds me of Pedroia...but an even smaller guy.  Which is hard to believe.

I know what you mean but I would keep it until it becomes an issue that he can't stay on FB (which will probably happen).  He will probably need to tweak it at some point.

Some of the scouting reports since he's become a professional is he's struggling with velocity due to the timing of the leg kick.  There's no doubt he has elite bat control though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fathom said:

Some of the scouting reports since he's become a professional is he's struggling with velocity due to the timing of the leg kick.  There's no doubt he has elite bat control though.

If that is the case he should definitely tweak it.  If he likes some movement for timing and weight load I am sure he can develop a smaller foot movement or something.  He seems to be a good enough with the bat like you mentioned to be able to do so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Some of the scouting reports since he's become a professional is he's struggling with velocity due to the timing of the leg kick.  There's no doubt he has elite bat control though.

Encouraging he has gotten his OPS up to .817.  I do share your concerns for XBH though.  I am hopeful with some weight training and extremely high hit tool that he should develop SOME gap power.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, South Sider said:

You know, this prospect poo-pooing thing goes on in all of these game threads and frankly makes them boring. Can the mods made a thread for all the naysayers to go have their say so that these game threads can be what I care about? The raw stats and videos from the minors. I don't give a crap to read for the nth time how Rutherford is a bust because it's still April and he hasn't hit a lick. 

You know like in football we are all armchair QB's , In a minor league threads many are armchair scouts and coaches .Comes with the territory and it isn't going to change. If they all disappeared there would be no Soxtalk . If there is no pessimism how can an admitted optimist like me talk/argue with anyone ? I hate how Fathom is such a pessimist but at least he's a quality contributor to the board and some posters appear to have a mancrush on him. At least he's not a dickhead like some of the other constant critics around here. Sox game threads annoy the hell out of me because everything is he sucks ,he sucks, he sucks, DFA, DFA,send him down. head case, mental midget !! Everyone is right (including me) and no one is wrong.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Zero tools?  Do you actually understand what tools are?  And JFC, he’s a former HS pick (a raw one no less) who has less than 600 professional at-bats.  It should surprise no one his results have been poor so far.  That being said, this idea that he can’t get better is just plain stupid.

Help him out tell him when talking about a 5 tool player they are talking about. Arm, speed. fielding, hit for average and hit for power.Educate the ignorant. Berating doesn't teach him anything. Arm and speed are usually natural gifts whereas fielding, hitting for average ,and power can be developed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

 

I think the reason they started him in A÷ was that they know how hard it is to hit in Birmingham.  He didn't do well last year. So start him on a roll before he goes to AA and has trouble in a pitchers park.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ptatc said:

I think the reason they started him in A÷ was that they know how hard it is to hit in Birmingham.  He didn't do well last year. So start him on a roll before he goes to AA and has trouble in a pitchers park.

Seems like Getz wants players to earn their promotions while in A/A+ ball, then AA will either be they earned it or were pushed up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Help him out tell him when talking about a 5 tool player they are talking about. Arm, speed. fielding, hit for average and hit for power.Educate the ignorant. Berating doesn't teach him anything. Arm and speed are usually natural gifts whereas fielding, hitting for average ,and power can be developed.

I do know what the five tools are. I don’t do anything with MiLB except follow box scores, but in four years, Curbelo has done nothing statistically to indicate he has a single one of the offensive tools. Arm and fielding, I don’t know, but Cleuluis Rondon had those for sure and it didn’t save his horrid bat.

Edited by The Sir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lillian said:

What exactly is it, about the Birmingham ball park that makes it so difficult to hit there?

Ive been wondering this as well. Does not being a hitters park mean its big and hard to hit HRs? or does it suppress BA as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×