4/16 7:10 pm Royals v. White Sox (Lopez v. Lopez)

bmags

3 minutes ago, Jake said:

104 pitches

63 fastballs, averaging 95mph, 12 called strikes and 4 swinging strikes

20 sliders, averaging 83, 1 called and 5 swinging strikes

20 changeups, averaging 83, 4 called and 4 swinging strikes

1 73mph curveball

Well, that’s way more fastballs than I would have guessed but admittedly I was switching channels back and forth. 

3 minutes ago, TheBlackSox8 said:

WTF?!!?

Yelich just hit his 9th homerun of the year...8th against the Cardinals.  LMFAO...they still have like 13 games to play after this against them.

Guys like Yelich profit the most from the juiced ball.  He shouldn‘t be a 40HR guy.  
Just like Lindor and Jose Ramirez.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Guys like Yelich profit the most from the juiced ball.  He shouldn‘t be a 40HR guy.  

Guy has incredible bat speed, and he had pop in the minors.  He's never hit 40 homeruns though...

1 minute ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Hmmm.  Interesting.  I was going to make the case that he is hitting more flyballs, but he actually hit LESS flyballs than in Miami.  My guess is ballpark change and the juiced balls. But seriously, who hits 2% less flyballs and has a 28 home run increase?  That almost seems impossible.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

I am just salty about the juiced ball. I think it‘s bad for the game longterm. I don‘t think watching 3 outcome baseball is very exciting.

I am skeptical that the juiced ball, which randomly appeared in, what 2016? Has anything to do with three outcome baseball, which has been trending this way for years. That’s much more likely to be a pitcher velocity issue.

Or just have some expansion.

20 minutes ago, Jake said:

104 pitches

63 fastballs, averaging 95mph, 12 called strikes and 4 swinging strikes

20 sliders, averaging 83, 1 called and 5 swinging strikes

20 changeups, averaging 83, 4 called and 4 swinging strikes

1 73mph curveball

Caught the ball and threw it.  Didn't overthink and putz around.  Keeps the defense in the game.  Well done.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I am skeptical that the juiced ball, which randomly appeared in, what 2016? Has anything to do with three outcome baseball, which has been trending this way for years. That’s much more likely to be a pitcher velocity issue.

Or just have some expansion.

IMO the juiced ball encourages players with fringy power to swing for the fences.  

IIRC the runs scored per game haven‘t changed much since 2016, only the ratio of HRs to runs scored has skyrocketed.

2 minutes ago, bubba phillips said:

Looks like Renteria has settled on the sequence of pitchers out of the bullpen to go the last 3 innings (in a close game):  Fry, Jones, Herrera, and Colome.

Bullpen works better when they take over a clean inning.   Don't wait until starter puts a runner or two on base.  Better to have starter leave a batter to soon than one or two batter to late.  I liked this bullpen management.

4 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

IMO the juiced ball encourages players with fringy power to swing for the fences.  

IIRC the runs scored per game haven‘t changed much since 2016, only the ratio of HRs to runs scored has skyrocketed.

I don’t know. Feels like when league was power starved we had more guys like Chris Carter. Now they need to be more well rounded, it’s just pitchers are really good.

Like Yellichs k rate hasn’t changed that much.

Just now, GermanSoxFan said:

Looking at these numbers and his stuff. Looks like he would be a really good reliever.

Yeah it's kind of a cliche but in his case....it sure looks like he could dominate even as a multi-inning reliever. Only wildcard is if he needs a 45 minute warmup to be dominant for one time through the order

• Kyyle23 unpinned and locked this topic