THE MENDOZA LINE

poppysox

We have 5 players hitting below the Mendoza Line.  Abreu, Palka, Castillo, Engle and Sanchez are all hitting below .200 and frequently if not always in the starting lineup.  Makes me kind of optimistic that we have a 7- 9 record with over half the lineup in a slump.  Moncada & Anderson are doing some very heavy lifting while Jimenez and Garcia are contributing.  I believe the 5 players mentioned will improve more than Moncada & Anderson will regress.   Good times ahead.

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

We have 5 players hitting below the Mendoza Line.  Abreu, Palka, Castillo, Engle and Sanchez are all hitting below .200 and frequently if not always in the starting lineup.  Makes me kind of optimistic that we have a 7- 9 record with over half the lineup in a slump.  Moncada & Anderson are doing some very heavy lifting while Jimenez and Garcia are contributing.  I believe the 5 players mentioned will improve more than Moncada & Anderson will regress.   Good times ahead.

Well, Anderson will regress a ton because he pretty much has to

24 minutes ago, mqr said:

Well, Anderson will regress a ton because he pretty much has to

Such negativity...why can't he continue to hit over .600 at home for the year? :cool:

But seriously, it is awesome to see the production from the 1-2 hitters this year no matter who it has been...with Moncada against righties and Anderson against lefties.

6 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

I find it amazing how a guy that is 0 for the season and cannot play defense is sticking around.

What is the expectation that they have of Palka. 

What harm is there of sending him down for a month?   If they lose him is it that great of a loss. 

Totally agree...Cordell is the same age as Palka and Tilson is a year younger and both are hitting in Charlotte...at one time the Sox were high on both of those guys when they traded for them...bring them up and see what they can do...if Palka finds his swing again in Charlotte great but for now he is a DH who cannot hit playing in the outfield

It's definitely time to give Cordell his shot. Palka's glaring weaknesses are being exposed, big time. I'd venture to guess the Sox are just hoping he finally runs into a hit so that they can send him to AAA with at least one positive takeaway. 

But yeah, they're continuing to play him will do no good when the Sox start playing better teams. 

Abreu, Sanchez and Castillo will all make it to at least middle .200s. Engel is a crap shoot. Every year I expect he would have learned more about how to hit, but it's just not happening. 

15 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

I find it amazing how a guy that is 0 for the season and cannot play defense is sticking around.

What harm is there of sending him down for a month?   If they lose him is it that great of a loss. 

Left handed power hitter. He's shown he can do it. Until Collins comes up they really don't have another that will possibly be with the team in the future besides Moncada.  

2 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

How about this for the def of replacement: In 449 PA last year he was worth .7fWAR, in 39 PA this year he's been worth -.7fWAR.

Just move on already, the book is out on him and he's got zero upside short or long term for the Sox.   Time to try somebody else.