4/17 1:10 pm - White Sox v. Royals (Giolito v. Keller)

bmags

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

In more irritated about Grichuk than Keller tbh

also it’s clear that Anderson is not a ‘baseball guy’ and he obviously doesn’t care. It’s great. 

Yeah all of the sniping is ridiculous but Sox fans will love an us against them guy. But I suspect Grichuk got brainwashed while in St. Louis. 

20 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think people are confusing two things here.  It’s one thing to not like seeing a guy celebrate at your expense (who can blame them).  It’s a whole different animal to feel compelled to throw a baseball at them in retaliation.  

Keller doesn’t have to enjoy Timmy’s emotion, but he’s a pretty big b**** to throw a 90+ MPH fastball at him cause he feels disrespected, especially when Tim doesn’t get the opportunity to throw one back at him.  Pitchers feel this underserved sense of power because they’re the only ones who can “accidentally” hit an opponent and that’s a huge fucking problem.

Exactly- in my thoughts that I linked here earlier I was trying to get at that by referring to "pitcher privilege". They can exploit defenseless hitters without facing any comparable consequences. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anderson getting tossed probably cost us the game.  He didnt deserve to get tossed and neither did Keller.  Joe West smoked us, because Keller was close to 100 pitches and going to be lifted anyway.  Anderson steals second in that sitch otherwise.  Later HORRIBLE AB by Abreu.  Up in the count 3-0 with runners on 2nd and 3b and no outs. First base openand swings at two sliders way out of the zone.  What do you think he’s going to throw you there, a belt high fastball??!!   Cmon Jose, have some situational awareness .   

1 hour ago, Kalapse said:

It is funny, people decrying the generations following theirs for being soft are the exact same people who wet their pants over a bat being tossed a bit too far. My heart aches for Keller's fragile ego, I only hope Tim Anderson receiving a bruise on his left cheek restores a bit of his manhood.

My only beef with it is since it is definitely a no no in baseball's unwritten rulebook, he shouldn't flip his bat ... ever. Because teams have to start fights over crap in the unwritten rulebook. Personally I think it's just fine for a guy on my team to do it, except for that. I mean the Royals assholes are going to call him on it every time. Salvador Perez would have went ballistic. Plus, there's a minute chance the batter misreads his blast and perhaps the ball doesn't clear the fence one time and he'll look mighty stupid posing. Finally, Walter Payton saw no need to draw attention to himself and I worship Sir Walter. Go Bears!

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

My only beef with it is since it is definitely a no no in baseball's unwritten rulebook, he shouldn't flip his bat ... ever. Because teams have to start fights over crap in the unwritten rulebook. Personally I think it's just fine for a guy on my team to do it, except for that. I mean the Royals assholes are going to call him on it every time. Salvador Perez would have went ballistic. Plus, there's a minute chance the batter misreads his blast and perhaps the ball doesn't clear the fence one time and he'll look mighty stupid posing. Finally, Walter Payton saw no need to draw attention to himself and I worship Sir Walter. Go Bears!

Key word: unwritten. 

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

1) If it's unwritten, it ain't real, so screw it.

2) Oh right. Salvador Perez, who caught this guy.

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

Key word: unwritten. 

I hear u Soxfan, but you do realize the unwritten rulebook exists right? Like u can't bunt to break up a no hitter after what, the sixth inning? I am a bit surprised pitchers' fist pumping isn't a no no in the unwritten rulebook. I guess since relievers don't come to the plate there's nothing you can do to them. I would assume players yell shit at pitchers who pump their fists wildly after strikeouts though.

6 minutes ago, Quin said:

1) If it's unwritten, it ain't real, so screw it.

2) Oh right. Salvador Perez, who caught this guy.

Very sad what happened to Ventura. Senseless loss of life. As far as the compilation, like I said, Perez would have gone berserk at Anderson. No doubt about that. Sox and Royals have a lot of bad blood, mostly started by the Royals through the years.

4 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Very sad what happened to Ventura. Senseless loss of life. As far as the compilation, like I said, Perez would have gone berserk at Anderson. No doubt about that. Sox and Royals have a lot of bad blood, mostly started by the Royals through the years.

In that case, Salvador Perez is a giant fucking hypocrite.

11 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I hear u Soxfan, but you do realize the unwritten rulebook exists right? Like u can't bunt to break up a no hitter after what, the sixth inning? I am a bit surprised pitchers' fist pumping isn't a no no in the unwritten rulebook. I guess since relievers don't come to the plate there's nothing you can do to them. I would assume players yell shit at pitchers who pump their fists wildly after strikeouts though.

Another dumb one that should die.

• Like 1

This and that random thoughts:

Anderson gives with a two run home run and also gives with another error leading eventually to two runs. Three more errors on the day and Nate Jones doing Nate Jones things are what lost the game.

My personal opinion on bat flips, Gatorade buckets, goofy dances out at second base are as follows:

"Act like you've been there before" - Walter Payton (quoting his high school coach) 

11 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

This and that random thoughts:

Anderson gives with a two run home run and also gives with another error leading eventually to two runs. Three more errors on the day and Nate Jones doing Nate Jones things are what lost the game.

My personal opinion on bat flips, Gatorade buckets, goofy dances out at second base are as follows:

"Act like you've been there before" - Walter Payton (quoting his high school coach) 

But why

47 minutes ago, Tony said:

To sum up:

Over 50 crowd: “Act like you have been there before, no need for that”

Anyone born after 1970: “Baseball is dying, the game needs all the personality it can get, unwritten baseball rules are awful.”

This has been my exact experience online today 

• Like 1

TA did not flip his bat. He threw it in the direction of the Sox dug out and reportedly yelled something like "Let's go!"  If you take an emotional reaction like that out of the game, baseball will become even more boring than it is for many viewers.  IMO, the line is drawn where a player looks at, shouts at, or directly taunts an opposing player or team. Timmy didn't do any of that.

Sending Abreu from first to home was a joke and lost this game.  There should be some accountability for that decision.

17 minutes ago, mqr said:

There are people from from all corners of non-baseball twitter talking about Anderson and the White Sox is a positive light. This is objectively awesome. 

Today is, in my opinion, the best day for the White Sox in terms of positive, nationwide media coverage in years 

• Like 2

Now into my second season watching and it’s the first time I’ve seen this bat flipping or heard of it , I cannot believe the fuss , if Tim had done some back flips and gave the Fielders the finger on the way round well maybe KC might have had some beef but tossing his bat ? So what . Next game against KC every Sox player should do it , Homer or not .

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

First, I think it was a low class thing to throw at Anderson. But I don't like theatrics. Sammy's homer hop not only got old, it affected his game. One time his drive went off the wall and he only got a single. Another drive went off the wall and he got thrown out at second. Run the ball out and celebrate later and play the damned game like it is supposed to be played.

Like I said in another post, Tim is just coming into his own.  He doesn't need this distraction. Secondly, he is still developing and still has to improve at his position. Homers are great but errors and dumb plays in the field are not.  Tim can be a real star. He needs to cut this nonsense and become the great player he can become.

8 hours ago, Tony said:

To sum up:

Over 50 crowd: “Act like you have been there before, no need for that”

Anyone born after 1970: “Baseball is dying, the game needs all the personality it can get, unwritten baseball rules are awful.”

Sorry bud. I didn't really like the antics and I was born mid 70s.....

My take:

The "act like you've been there before" mantra was created in response to the overly PC times of its day to protect the low self-esteem of players in its generation who could not take being embarrassed.

This generation, with higher self esteem and ability to be offended without becoming violent, does not need this rule. 

Classic generational rift.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

My take:

The "act like you've been there before" mantra was created in response to the overly PC times of its day to protect the low self-esteem of players in its generation who could not take being embarrassed.

This generation, with higher self esteem and ability to be offended without becoming violent, does not need this rule. 

Classic generational rift.

The funny thing is that many of those arguing against Tim's "antics" are the very same ones who would complain about the world being too PC now. 

• Like 2