4/18 Games

KnightsOnMintSt

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

Pretty sure I said Robert reminded me of Adam Jones in terms of power, and I don’t think I’m wrong. It’s beyond awesome how well he’s playing, but it’s pretty clear he should be in AA at least.  As far as Madrigal and Sheets, I just don’t think those type of players are valuable in today’s baseball. 

Yeah but there are plenty of guys in the minors that were under assigned and they didnt hit 450 with a homer every other game. At this point it's more than under assigned. He's just a freak of nature.

You're greatly downplaying his accomplishments by citing his level. It's not as if hes super old for the level he is at.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

And yet Madrigal on the other hand is showing no power at all after having more time to heal.

It's been two+ weeks and he has 3 XBH. It would be nice to see it tick upward but to day theres no room in the game for someone like Dustin  Pedroia today is an odd take to say the least.

By all accounts - very good defender and baserunner who can hit for average and keeps the ball in play.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah but there are plenty of guys in the minors that were under assigned and they didnt hit 450 with a homer every other game. At this point it's more than under assigned. He's just a freak of nature.

Yeah it’s incredible what he’s doing. There’s nothing more for him to accomplish in WSalem.  I don’t think he’s going to be a 35-40 homer guy though.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yeah it’s incredible what he’s doing. There’s nothing more for him to accomplish in WSalem.  I don’t think he’s going to be a 35-40 homer guy though.

Why? His raw power is very clearly 60+ and hes already finding a way to get to it.

His tools were ahead of his production and being concerned as to what hed get out of them was a normal concern entering the year but now that his ++ raw power is showing up in games already at 21 it doesnt make a lot of sense to be pessimistic about his power. 

I said it before but his floor comp may be Mike Cameron. I may be being too optimistic but that's what it looks like.

It's been two+ weeks and he has 3 XBH. It would be nice to see it tick upward but to day theres no room in the game for someone like Dustin  Pedroia today is an odd take to say the least.

By all accounts - very good defender and baserunner who can hit for average and keeps the ball in play.

He makes Pedroia look like Barry Bonds. More and more eyeballs on him saying there’s no power at all in his swing. He needs to have the ability to keep the outfielders honest and not let them defend him like a pitcher is batting.  With all that said, he could be a perfect number 2 hitter if you have a quality lead off hitter.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

He makes Pedroia look like Barry Bonds. More and more eyeballs on him saying there’s no power at all in his swing. He needs to have the ability to keep the outfielders honest and not let them defend him like a pitcher is batting.  With all that said, he could be a perfect number 2 hitter if you have a quality lead off hitter.

You dont think he had that many eye balls on him as a senior? Come on man. 

Dont say your a prospect guy and then discredit and say someone who scouts still view as a top 50 guy - pretty much consensus - doesnt fit in the modern game. If you're naturally pessimistic and negative fine, but dont hide behind being a prospect guy and then be pessimistic about everything.

13 minutes ago, fathom said:

Pretty sure I said Robert reminded me of Adam Jones in terms of power, and I don’t think I’m wrong. It’s beyond awesome how well he’s playing, but it’s pretty clear he should be in AA at least.  As far as Madrigal and Sheets, I just don’t think those type of players are valuable in today’s baseball. 

And when you say those types of players it's as if they already are who they will be and that's my whole point. While it's also a message board so we message but so much SSS outlooks and yet we all abhor SSS supposedly. But I am happy we can do all this messaging and remain friendly while doing it.

Also as far as what you said about Robert you actually say so much I doubt it can be summed up in just that one thing you just said.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You're greatly downplaying his accomplishments by citing his level. It's not as if hes super old for the level he is at.

At a similar age, Kris Bryant posted a wRC+ of just over 200 in his short stint in A ball. Robert was at 288 coming into the game tonight and well over 300 now. This is next level stuff even at an “old” age of 21.

You dont think he had that many eye balls on him as a senior? Come on man. 

Dont say your a prospect guy and then discredit and say someone who scouts still view as a top 50 guy - pretty much consensus - doesnt fit in the modern game. If you're naturally pessimistic and negative fine, but dont hide behind being a prospect guy and then be pessimistic about everything.

You don’t think Madrigal’s stock isn’t lower now than when he was drafted?  Fangraphs was his biggest fan, and even they think he’s weaker at the plate than they expected.

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

At a similar age, Kris Bryant posted a wRC+ of just over 200 in his short stint in A ball. Robert was at 288 coming into the game tonight and well over 300 now. This is next level stuff even at an “old” age of 21.

Yes, and it's certainly a small sample but Robert has been the best minor league player in baseball this year.  There is no reason to be pessimistic or negative about what hes doing. Level regression doesnt take you from 275% better than league average to league average at the next level. 

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

You don’t think Madrigal’s stock isn’t lower now than when he was drafted?  Fangraphs was his biggest fan, and even they think he’s weaker at the plate than they expected.

Famgraphs has him as a their 32nd ranked prospect in baseball right now with an FV of 55. You say he doesnt belong in the modern game. They says hes a borderline all star second baseman a couple times in his career.

Those two things arent equal.

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

And when you say those types of players it's as if they already are who they will be and that's my whole point. While it's also a message board so we message but so much SSS outlooks and yet we all abhor SSS supposedly. But I am happy we can do all this messaging and remain friendly while doing it.

Sheets is a “slugging” first baseman that has shown zero power in professional baseball.  The days of teams wanting Scott Hatteberg at first base seem done.  I have no doubts Madrigal will make the majors and can probably be league average. I don’t think a league average 2nd baseman is what you dream of though with the 4th pick (when you already had Yoan there).

13 minutes ago, fathom said:

Sheets is a “slugging” first baseman that has shown zero power in professional baseball.  The days of teams wanting Scott Hatteberg at first base seem done.  I have no doubts Madrigal will make the majors and can probably be league average. I don’t think a league average 2nd baseman is what you dream of though with the 4th pick (when you already had Yoan there).

Jonathan India was your guy at #4. Same guy that is currently sporting a lower OPS than Madrigal in A+ and a 27.4 K%.

and for reference, Moncada carried a 21.1 K% in A+ at 1.5 years younger than India’s current age

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

2 minutes ago, sox71 said:

My thoughts is that the Sox front office promised the Winston Salem management that Robert and Madrigal would be with the team for a certain amount of time for the draw.   Not sure how long, but just a crazy thought.   

The sox should not care one bit about W-S draw. If its whats best for the prospect they HAVE TO do that.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, fathom said:

Like I said I don't care if I am wrong, I don't project them as you do. I watch and hope for the best. Sheets is a big strong guy who I hope can swing the bat with some power eventually and if not it's not like there is any shortage of 1st base types be it Collins, Eloy  or even Burger eventually. Sheets has moved from Rookie ball to AA in barely over 2 seasons . To me that's decent progress. Power is just another step on the development ladder.

I was going to say that Robert should stay in A+ until he learns to take a walk but honestly it may be that he just doesn't need to at that level. Like, he's not even bothering to be patient because he knows he's that much better than everyone around him. Basically, he should be moved up soon.

21 minutes ago, fathom said:

You have doubts Madrigal will make the majors?  Surely you can’t be serious.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You have doubts Madrigal will make the majors?  Surely you can’t be serious.

Better read that again he said he has no doubts but he envisions him being a league average 2nd baseman. Safe call is all that is. Can't go out on a limb and call him a potential All -Star because All Star 2nd baseman hit like Robinson Cano.

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Better read that again he said he has no doubts but he envisions him being a league average 2nd baseman. Safe call is all that is. Can't go out on a limb and call him a potential All -Star because All Star 2nd baseman hit like Robinson Cano.

2 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Beat me to it.

Apologies, alcohol and poor reading comprehension are a dangerous combo.