4/18 12:10 pm - White Sox v. Tigers (Nova v. Ross)

TheTruth05

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

They’re already using Collins and Zavala at 1B / DH though.

If I'm reading the stats right it looks like Zavala has only DHd for 2 games, Collins 0. If Charlotte is only carrying those 2 catchers, they may not want to "lose" the DH spot if they have something happen to the catcher. If they want those 2 playing every day, they probably need a 3rd catcher. 

Just now, Balta1701 said:

If I'm reading the stats right it looks like Zavala has only DHd for 2 games, Collins 0. If Charlotte is only carrying those 2 catchers, they may not want to "lose" the DH spot if they have something happen to the catcher. If they want those 2 playing every day, they probably need a 3rd catcher. 

That makes sense.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Does it really matter that much in AAA to carry an extra catcher?

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Maybe they also told him they wanted him to work with the young catchers/gave him a little extra minor league money to do so

He's really not noted for that, and you still want the other guys behind the plate as much as possible if you think they may have a future back there. That would leave this guy very little playing time. So, to me, it must mean someone isn't long at being primarily a catcher. Maybe they are now so excited about Collins' bat, they don't want him to take the beating behind the plate.

Edited by Dick Allen

9 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He's really not noted for that, and you still want the other guys behind the plate as much as possible if you think they may have a future back there. That would leave this guy very little playing time. So, to me, it must mean someone isn't long at being primarily a catcher. Maybe they are now so excited about Collins' bat, they don't want him to take the beating behind the plate.

See, this would make more sense to me.

• Kyyle23 unpinned and locked this topic