The Anderson Saga (continued from game thread)

Dick Allen

32 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

That's fine. Its just different viewpoints that's all. Some people don't mind it and others are old school nothing wrong with that.

No, there absolutely is something wrong with that.  The pitcher has a freakin weapon that he's throwing at a player because the dude got excited and enjoyed something good that he did.  That's just so insanely stupid.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, but even Keller (who has great control) can't guarantee the ball doesn't slip and hit him in the head or hand or knee. Getting hit by a 94 MPH pitch really hurts. 

MLB has CLEARLY taken a side in this situation, and they have sided with Anderson. He is what the league is trying to promote. Check out MLB's official twitter yesterday; they literally tweet at Tim and tell him to keep being himself. This is what the game wants. Guys like Tim help promote the game. 

Then they should let the umpires know that.  Then maybe West wouldn't have tossed Anderson.

I'm fine with players celebrating. I'm also fine with pitchers retaliating. Baseball isn't losing popularity because of old school rules. It's losing popularity because the games are long, there's not a lot of action and, easily the biggest reason, kids have so many other forms of entertainment that all sports will decline in popularity. 

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Good...dude is a coward for calling out Tim like that.

I'm glad he did though. I've seen literally hundreds of tweets/posts saying "Tim Anderson is now my favorite baseball player" from both baseball fans and non-baseball fans because of it. The Sox need to market the hell out of him. 

5 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I'm fine with players celebrating. I'm also fine with pitchers retaliating. Baseball isn't losing popularity because of old school rules. It's losing popularity because the games are long, there's not a lot of action and, easily the biggest reason, kids have so many other forms of entertainment that all sports will decline in popularity. 

Like 99% agree, but the perception of baseball players being sticks in the mud certainly doesn't help. This is the most the internet has talked about a specific player in.......? That's a good thing. That helps. 

Edited by mqr

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

I'm glad he did though. I've seen literally hundreds of tweets/posts saying "Tim Anderson is now my favorite baseball player" from both baseball fans and non-baseball fans because of it. The Sox need to market the hell out of him. 

100% agree.  Baseball needs more marketable personalities and Timmy has the swagger to be a massive star and transformative player.  Like you said, the Sox should be marketing the hell out of him, especially since young kids in Chicago will eat that shit up.

1 hour ago, mqr said:

Whenever stuff like this comes up I just like to ask people who get mad at the batter or say he had it coming why? And 99% of the time it comes down to ‘well, that’s just the way it goes’. That drives me nuts because the way it goes is dumb and bad for the overall health of the game. 

Throwing at a guy for putting your team in danger is one thing, in fact, I might say there’s a place for it. But throwing at a guy for hurting your feelings or going against some arbitrary made up nonsense is chicken shit. How man games would anderson get if he went and punched Keller square in the ribs after he fist pumped a strikeout? 30? 40? It’s all absurdly dumb.  

It's called professionalism. The players are expected to comport themselves in a certain manner due to the examples set for the profession and younger generations. If you don't agree with this comment, why aren't the players and coaches allowed to smoke in the dugout? They are of legal age. MLB decided that it would be a bad example for younger generations. Is acting this way what you teach your kids or is there amount of respect that should be shown? This isn't just isolated to "guys playing a kid's game and having fun."

I personally, have no problems if he wants to do it but if he doesn't it often enough to tick off the other team, I have no issue with that either.

Edited by ptatc
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It's called professionalism. The players are expected to comport themselves in a certain manner due to the examples set for the profession and younger generations. If you don't agree with this comment, why aren't the players and coaches allowed to smoke in the dugout? They are of legal age. MLB decided that it would be a bad example for younger generations. Is acting this way what you teach your kids or is there amount of respect that should be shown? This isn't just isolated to "guys playing a kid's game and having fun."

Why is it a bad example to celebrate? What does that have anything to do with a harmful habit? And how is it professional to throw a fit on the mound and put someone in danger?

Edited by mqr
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

If you knew nothing else about baseball you would be so confused when you learn tim is talking about a controversial topic.

Exactly.

It's also why Anderson seems to be getting into this stuff all the time. He's an outsider. Its pretty great.

• Like 1

Just now, mqr said:

Why is it a bad example to celebrate? What does that have anything to do with a harmful habit?

It depends on what you celebrate. Winning a world series is one thing. A home run in April with two bad teams that's not a special moment, isn't a reason to celebrate. He is just doing his normal every day job in a normal moment.

• Thanks 1

Like others have pointed out, there is a difference celebrating towards your teammates/bench and staring down a pitcher or the opposing bench. What Tim did might be wrong in the "unwritten rules" but is really not a big deal. There was no malice from Anderson towards the Royals in anyway.

I am still trying to figure out why Anderson got tossed; he didn't charge the mound, he didn't throw punches. I would like to know if he said anything THAT bad to get tossed.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

It depends on what you celebrate. Winning a world series is one thing. A home run in April with two bad teams that's not a special moment, isn't a reason to celebrate. He is just doing his normal every day job in a normal moment.

But why? What difference does it make. Again this is all arbitrary.

He didn't direct anything at the royals, he didn't put anyone in danger. What, then, is the big deal?

Edited by mqr
  • Like 2

Just now, BigHurt3515 said:

Like others have pointed out, there is a difference celebrating towards your teammates/bench and staring down a pitcher or the opposing bench. What Tim did might be wrong in the "unwritten rules" but is really not a big deal. There was no malice from Anderson towards the Royals in anyway.

I am still trying to figure out why Anderson got tossed; he didn't charge the mound, he didn't throw punches. I would like to know if he said anything THAT bad to get tossed.

This is the issue I have with the situation. He did nothing to get ejected other than previous run ins with Joe West.

There is a virtue and its called sportsmanship. Doing a 5 minute dance in the end zone after a touchdown, is not sportsmanship. Players getting into fights is not sportsmanship.  Doing a bat flip directed at taunting the other team, is not sportsmanship.

What TA did, was maybe a little over the top, ok, but lets have some clemency and not kill the guy over a toss of the bat. What KC did was worse since they could have injured our player.

5 minutes ago, mqr said:

Why is it a bad example to celebrate? What does that have anything to do with a harmful habit? And how is it professional to throw a fit on the mound and put someone in danger?

Exactly. It's 2019. There's zero issue with it in every other sport. Just in the one with too many old people still hanging around. That needs to change. 

Edited by Baron

Football players celebrate all the time with TDs, big tackles, big runs, etc.  Tim celebrated his massive 50th career HR with his teammates.  He clearly directed his enthusiasm at his own bench.  The Royals took exception to it and retaliated.  It should have ended there.  With new rules about the "third man in", the benches clearing wouldn't have happened.  It was pretty clear that Tim wasn't going to charge the mound.

Keep it up, Tim.  I love it.

Just now, mqr said:

But why? What difference does it make. Again this is all arbitrary.

I guess I perceive a celebration differently. Celebrations, in general are for big moments, Birthdays, graduations, weddings. Celebrations aren't for doing your job.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Comparing smoking which has been banned in A LOT of public places to celebrating a home run is crazy.

The NBA is one of the most popular sports amongst the younger generation and they celebrate everything. Hit a 3 pointer and they do a bunch of different gestures, dunk over someone and they flex and give the player a little stare down. There is nothing wrong celebrating and having a little fun if there is to bad intent. 162 games a year is a LONG season, have some fun.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Baron said:

Exactly. It's 2019. There's zero issue with it in every other sport. Just in the one with too many old people still hanging around. That needs to change. 

There have been many issues with it in NFL. They have specific rules on who can do it, when they can do it, what props they can use. Who cares if it's 2019. Professionalism isn't arbitrary.

• Like 2