The Anderson Saga (continued from game thread)

Dick Allen

Just now, turnin' two said:

That's great!  And I completely agree.  What sucks most about TA getting tossed is that he probably would have stolen 2nd and 3rd.

We win that game if TA and Moncada were still out there. The lineup is so much worse without them 

1 hour ago, Baron said:

Just curious but if next time the Royals strike out Tim(if they do) and the pitcher celebrates can he chuck his bat at them? 

yeah if it's "professionalism" for a pitcher to throw a hard object at 90 MPH at another person because they celebrated, then batters should be able to get a few good swings in on any pitcher who celebrates a little too enthusiastically. fair's fair.

But on topic, I like Stoney's suggestion: Automatic suspensions for third participants.

Leave it down to the pitcher and batter. If the pitcher knows his entire bench is facing minimum 10 game suspensions if they step on the field, he's not gonna be plunking guys with the knowledge that he has to fight them alone.

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

So you tell your kid to stop having fun while playing a game? You actually removed him from the game?

Yes, what about the kid that threw the pitch? Are you going to tell him that if he doesn't want to see a celebration get the kid out? Kids that age don't see the shades of gray in the MLB discussion. It's more black and white about taunting the pitcher. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Quin said:

But on topic, I like Stoney's suggestion: Automatic suspensions for third participants.

Leave it down to the pitcher and batter. If the pitcher knows his entire bench is facing minimum 10 game suspensions if they step on the field, he's not gonna be plunking guys with the knowledge that he has to fight them alone.

no doubt about this.

38 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

yeah if it's "professionalism" for a pitcher to throw a hard object at 90 MPH at another person because they celebrated, then batters should be able to get a few good swings in on any pitcher who celebrates a little too enthusiastically. fair's fair.

Professionalism isn't the retaliation. Professionalism is how Anderson reacts after the home run. The pitcher broke the rules, he should get ejected, maybe suspended if its egregious enough.

1 hour ago, mqr said:

Story time. I only ever hit one home run in high school. I watched the absolute shit out of it not because i was showing anyone up but because I was so excited I had no idea what to do with myself, almost fell on my face rounding first. 

Got plunked the next time up. They plunked the kid who’s only real purpose on the team was to pinch run and pitch. Thought it was horribly dumb ever since. 

I would not have an issue with this as I would define it as a special moment.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Professionalism isn't the retaliation. Professionalism is how Anderson reacts after the home run. The pitcher broke the rules, he should get ejected, maybe suspended if its egregious enough.

A short suspension is an inadequate response to a misdemeanor crime that would land me community service with a misdemeanor plea. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I would not have an issue with this as I would define it as a special moment.

Sure, but the other team doesn't know that. And if you were an opposing parent, you would apparently think I was trying to slight your kid. 

Edited by mqr

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Someone brought up golf and the funny thing is golf has changed A LOT thanks to Tiger. Tiger used to take all kinds of shit from people for his fist pumps and celebration. Now its iconic to his game and golf loved when hes back at the top of his game celebrating.

2 of the most popular tournaments are the Ryder Cup and Phoenix Open, anyone know what these 2 have in common?

• Love 1

26 minutes ago, Tony said:

And we have to assume the pitcher on the opposing high school team knows this fact, and because by your definition celebrating is only reserved for "special moments," the pitcher won't throw at him... 

You realize how stupid this all is? For the last time....you don't want a player to celebrate or show emotion against you? Get an out. No batter will celebrate making an out. 

No I don't expect him to know about it. That isn't the issue. The issue is should the hitter celebrate every home run or hit they get. My point is they should celebrate a big moment in the game. If the pitcher retaliates by hitting a hitter, he should be punished. 

I don't think it's stupid at all. celebrate important things not the mundane. Hitting a home run happens 5,000 times during a baseball season, Anderson will probably do it 25 times this season. That is not worth celebrating.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ptatc said:

No I don't expect him to know about it. That isn't the issue. The issue is should the hitter celebrate every home run or hit they get. My point is they should celebrate a big moment in the game. If the pitcher retaliates by hitting a hitter, he should be punished. 

I don't think it's stupid at all. celebrate important things not the mundane. Hitting a home run happens 5,000 times during a baseball season, Anderson will probably do it 25 times this season. That is not worth celebrating.

I don't entirely disagree here, and it's why people will laugh at or roll their eyes at a d-lineman who celebrates a sack when his team is down by 30 in the 4th quarter.

But I don't think it's necessarily "professionalism." And while the punishment for the overly enthusiastic hitter should be, idk, some amount of light ridicule, the punishment for a pitcher who deliberately throws an object at another player with the intent to hit them should be immediate suspension at a minimum.

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

The ironic thing about all this is you said "If a player does it often enough to tick off the other team, I have no issue with that either." (The "either" here being getting plunked by the pitcher) 

So in your distorted view of what is "professional," you would pull your son out of a game if he did a bat flip after celebrating a HR, and also think he may deserved getting a ball thrown at him, intentionally by the opposing pitcher, for that act. Throwing a projectile at another human...for celebrating an accomplishment.....is professional?!?! And before you say "No, I don't agree with him throwing at Tim...." Stop.....because you already said you have no issue with it. 

I have no issue with it but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be punished. The deserved to be thrown at was for the multiple times he has done it. I can see why someone would do it. I personally would not and would not teach it but I can see why someone would but it breaks the rules and should be punished.

If my son did it multiple times I can see why it would frustrate the other player enough to where it might get them to do it. This is why I don't want him to do it.

Anderson's bat flip is not the first time he has done it and not the first time someone from the Royals has had an issue with him doing it. They didn't throw at him until he did it multiple times. This is why I can see why they did it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

I'm quoting you now from earlier in the thread: 

Bat flips and emotion= Act like you have been there before, be professional

Throwing a baseball, intentionally, at another human = I guess if you're that frustrated, it's OK. You're probably going to get thrown out of the game and punished, so I get why someone would resort to violence after watching another player flip his bat. 

Fun = Bad

Violence = OK if provoked by fun

Just wanted to make sure we were clear on your logic. 

It's not ok, I just understand why they do it. I've said repeated times that throwing at the hitter is against the rules and should be punished. But I understand why it gets frustrating and why it's done. I've also said I wouldn't do it and I have never taught anyone to do it.

I hope you are clear on that logic.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Anyone see that pitcher pump his fist after K'ing Yoan?  I think Abreu should throw his bat at him next inning.  Stuff like that fist pump and scream has no place in this game.

That's only if he's still on the mound. If he's pulled, Abreu needs to go in the dugout with the bat and start swinging.

SANCTITY OF THE GAME.