The Anderson Saga (continued from game thread)

Dick Allen

17 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Exactly.  Gotta protect your guys right?

I wouldn't want Yoan to actually charge him, but saying something loudly and pointing at the pitcher would have been a great way to protect and show support for Anderson.

1 hour ago, Quin said:

Brian McCann is the torch bearer of the unwritten rules of baseball.

The Braves could have focused on winning the game, but they had to enforce the rules.

Brian McCann is the biggest clown in baseball. 

The one against Carlos following his triple was the worst policing I've ever seen. 

He hit a ball he thought was gone off Cole. He didnt run right away and it bounced off the top of the wall and past McCutchen. So Gomez kicks it into high gear and gets a triple easily anyway. Cole walks over to them and yells something like "yeah, next time maybe you'll fucking run b****." 

Cole was mad that Gomez may have cost himself an inside the park homer and instead got a triple. Cole was mad at Gomez for doing something dumb that helped Cole.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

I have no issue with it but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be punished. The deserved to be thrown at was for the multiple times he has done it. I can see why someone would do it. I personally would not and would not teach it but I can see why someone would but it breaks the rules and should be punished.

If my son did it multiple times I can see why it would frustrate the other player enough to where it might get them to do it. This is why I don't want him to do it.

Anderson's bat flip is not the first time he has done it and not the first time someone from the Royals has had an issue with him doing it. They didn't throw at him until he did it multiple times. This is why I can see why they did it. 

puhleeze.

8 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

People may not want to call it this, but if you were annoyed with someone outside of a baseball stadium and you threw a baseball at them, you go to prison for assault. This is not exaggeration, an average person would face criminal charges for that, regardless of whether it hit them in the butt or not.

At some point, I think the legal system cleans this up.

He disrespected me so I threw a 90 Mph baseball at him.  Dumb!

8 hours ago, TheTruth05 said:

Really is this easy. 

It's not though. How do you prove intent ? Just because someone hit's a HR and then gets hit doesn't mean 100% of the time it's on purpose Might be on purpose 98% of the time but you're going to suspend a pitcher if he really did accidentally hit a batter after a HR ? What if the batter sticks his arm out like happened with one of the Tigers today ? So now a pitcher can't risk pitching inside after a batter is up after his HR ? I'm surprised how many think an auto suspension is feasible here . Learn baseball.

2 hours ago, mqr said:

again this is why this stuff is good. Having basketball writers chime in is good for baseball, good for the white Sox and good for Tim Anderson. 

That guy is probably full of shit too. He's just good at PR . Oh look he's writing a book and promoting it on his twitter and needs to reach a broader audience. Hey it's baseball season and I don't know this guys name but my publicist said tweet about him.

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

That guy is probably full of shit too. He's just good at PR . Oh look he's writing a book and promoting it on his twitter and needs to reach a broader audience. Hey it's baseball season and I don't know this guys name but my publicist said tweet about him.

Maybe?

Entirely beside the point though

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

Probably not. Pretty on brand for Sheas tweets and the idea that he is publicist driven is pretty funny.

I doubt it too. 

The important thing, though, is that he’s tweeting that out to 300k people, where maybe 10% of them have any idea who Tim Anderson is. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

Probably not. Pretty on brand for Sheas tweets and the idea that he is publicist driven is pretty funny.

Ok I gave him credit for having a publicist when clearly he's smart enough himself to recognize how to get a broader audience. Hey but it's ok promaote baseball and even better promote Tim Anderson and the Sox . Tell Shea Tim was a pretty good baller.

16 hours ago, ptatc said:

I guess I perceive a celebration differently. Celebrations, in general are for big moments, Birthdays, graduations, weddings. Celebrations aren't for doing your job.

2 tips that will make your like immensely better. 

1. Celebrate anything that makes you happy 

2. Don't use other's happiness as a reason to be unhappy 

Just finished that monthly report you hate? Toss it on the boss's desk and do a little shimmy. Finally found the bug in your program? Secret handshake line down the row of cubicals. Nothing to celebrate? Celebrate the fact that you have celebrated 5 days in a row. 

And when you see your coworker doing their little shimmy while you still have hours left on your report? Don't pout, or sulk, or judge them for not meeting whatever arbitrary standards you have set for yourself. It's just misplaced anger. Give them a smile and a high five instead. 

Celebrate the mundane y'all. There's some absolute truth 🍾

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

Imagine this utterly archaic and beyond idiotic viewpoint in literally any other sport. Sink a 40 foot birdie putt? Calmly walk to the hole pretending that you missed it. Dunk all over LeBron James? Act as if you banked in a layup during practice. 

You’ve got to have a special kind of deficit in your noggin to believe there’s anything wrong with Anderson’s bat toss and that he should be punished in any way for it. Meanwhile, Keller ought to be suspended without pay for the next 2 to 4 weeks. This barbaric tradition is an embarrassment to the game and steps need to be taken to eliminate it. How quickly we forget that Acuna’s incredible rookie season was nearly cut short by this type of nonsense. Pitchers simply cannot be allowed to behave like psychopathic troglodytes when the whim should strike them. There must be consequences. Imagine the sort of fine and suspension Albert Belle would get today for running over Fernando vina. He got five games back then, would get 10 or more today. For a starting pitcher, that’s a 25 to 50 game suspension. As it ought to be. That kind of act is about the closest equivalent to drilling a guy you will find for a position player. You put a players career and even his life in your hands when you willingly choose to throw a baseball at him. If the threat of a real consequence is there, the behavior will vanish almost overnight. It’s long overdue for MLB to truly address this garbage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Joe West should be made to explain how tossing your bat back toward  the dugout is worthy of the same penalty as throwing a ball at someone.  He was over the top with this call.  For years he has acted like people came to the park to see him.

• Haha 1

I don't have anything against a player celebrating. Konerko raised his fist after his WS grand slam and there is a statue at the ballpark depicting that. I just think there is a way to do everything and I prefer a hitter to at least begin running out his hit before any celebration. This doesn't mean I condone what the Royals pitcher did even though Anderson got hit in a good spot.

One other thing: The White Sox have spent almost this entire decade under .500. I don't feel like celebrating that.

Finally, one poster said Mickey Mantle liked to throw his bat. Tim Anderson is not Mickey Mantle. He's not even Tim Anderson yet.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gusguyman said:

2 tips that will make your like immensely better. 

1. Celebrate anything that makes you happy 

2. Don't use other's happiness as a reason to be unhappy 

Just finished that monthly report you hate? Toss it on the boss's desk and do a little shimmy. Finally found the bug in your program? Secret handshake line down the row of cubicals. Nothing to celebrate? Celebrate the fact that you have celebrated 5 days in a row. 

And when you see your coworker doing their little shimmy while you still have hours left on your report? Don't pout, or sulk, or judge them for not meeting whatever arbitrary standards you have set for yourself. It's just misplaced anger. Give them a smile and a high five instead. 

Celebrate the mundane y'all. There's some absolute truth 🍾

I'm perfectly happy with the way I am. Thanks for the advice though.

• Like 1

I would like baseball to have the same amount of celebrating as the NBA. Homers = dunks. The beauty of baseball is you have little pauses in play where what you do has no effect on the game. One of the most intense games I've seen in many years was the Puerto Rico vs Netherlands World Baseball Classic game, in which damn near every single hit and out prompted a major celebration and the fans were feeding on all of it.

I don't find the "it's April"/"it's early in the game" stuff very compelling. We'd be furious if a player came out after the game and said not to get on them about their bad game or out or whatever because it's early and the games don't matter much. Most people go to one game a year, if that. Everything that happens in that game is super important to them. Players owe it to the fans to be all the way in the game and if that means the emotions come pouring out in some harmless way, great.

As for this specific situation, there are a few things that really piss me off:

• Tim Anderson was thrown out of the game despite the fact it was clear he was just trying to go to 1B. Both the first "fight" and the second flare-up with Ricky happened because the Royals bench and coaching staff taking the field.
  • If the MLB is in Tim's corner and wants to make him the poster child of the "Let the Kids Play" stuff, they need to punish Keller more than having him ejected late in his start. You need to regulate the celebrations, the retaliation, or both. MLB has made clear they're not going to regulate the celebrations.

Lost in the shuffle of all this is the absolute bomb Timmy hit. He's made some adjustments at the plate and is staying in there much better against breaking balls but his body is really developing. He is getting stronger and more powerful every year. He's got some BABIP regression coming but he's made some improvements too. Very exciting.

45 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Lost in the shuffle of all this is the absolute bomb Timmy hit. He's made some adjustments at the plate and is staying in there much better against breaking balls but his body is really developing. He is getting stronger and more powerful every year. He's got some BABIP regression coming but he's made some improvements too. Very exciting.

Indeed.  My son and I talk a lot about how much better Anderson is.  He's made some great adjustments, and he's smoking the baseball.  That homerun WAS an absolute bomb.  I saw it on Twitter and sent the link to my son (in school) and said "Anderson just put a baseball on the moon."  He is a very exciting player to watch right now, and the energy he brings makes it even better.