The Anderson Saga (continued from game thread)

Dick Allen

Just now, greg775 said:

I think baseball players have made it clear they will continue to enforce the unwritten rules. If Timmy does that again, look for him to get hit again. Then depending on how he reacts will determine if there's a fight or not and suspensions. I'm not sure why players allow guys who hit doubles to look in the dugout and do the horns on the helmet. I would think that's equally deserving of getting hit the next time up.

One thing I noticed in the Robin era the Sox didn't do a lot of retaliating for one of their players getting hit. I haven't noticed in the Ricky era much cause I've pretty much lost interest and am wasting my MLB subscription money.

Then the league should get involved in either writing down these dumb ass rules, or sufficiently punish people who use force to enforce them to get rid of them. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I think baseball players have made it clear they will continue to enforce the unwritten rules. If Timmy does that again, look for him to get hit again. Then depending on how he reacts will determine if there's a fight or not and suspensions. I'm not sure why players allow guys who hit doubles to look in the dugout and do the horns on the helmet. I would think that's equally deserving of getting hit the next time up.

One thing I noticed in the Robin era the Sox didn't do a lot of retaliating for one of their players getting hit. I haven't noticed in the Ricky era much cause I've pretty much lost interest and am wasting my MLB subscription money.

Thank you for illustrating why young people aren't interested in baseball anymore, top notch 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, mqr said:

Then the league should get involved in either writing down these dumb ass rules, or sufficiently punish people who use force to enforce them to get rid of them. 

New unwritten rule:

If you enforce an unwritten rule, the batter can charge the mound with a bat.

Don't like it? Thems the unwritten rules.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Classy and humble pitchers who pump their fists and stare down players after they get the final out of a inning.  It's a meaningless inning why do they do that?  Who fucking cares, have fun

classy players who drive in a run and do the monster horns on their helmet at first towards their dugout.  It's a meaningless April game why do they do that?  Who fucking cares, have fun

classy outfielders who make a great diving catch and jump up and jump bump the right fielder on the way in to the dugout.   It's a meaningless April game why do they do that?  Who fucking cares, have fun.

your idea of "temperance and sportsmanship" is outdated and sucks.   I'm sure you can find a men's softball rec league that follows your idea of class.   Actually you can't, I play it and we have a lot of fun.

The beauty of baseball is any moment can be a game winner.  A solo shot in the first is the difference in a 1-0 game.  Why can guys only celebrate walk-off or late game plays when an early inning moment can be just as important?  I’m not suggesting the team should rush the field after a 3rd inning home-run, but Tim should be allowed to flip his damn bat and celebrate with his team after any play of significance.  These unwritten rules are just straight up dumb and all they do is help adult men with raging egos not catch feelings when they fuck up in a game.

4 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

This is all bullshit.  All of it.   You should be able to celebrate more when you hit a home run, not less.  This is a game and people should have fun, they shouldn't be guided by bullshit unwritten rules and "temperance and sportsmanship" concepts that only apply when someone gets their feelings hurt because they happened to suck at that moment

this game should be fun to watch not some polite display of 1950s "sportsmanship"

I agree, and I'll add that it's not even 1950s sportsmanship. It stems back to the mid-late 19th century, before the White Sox even existed. The unwritten rules were originally put in place to prevent African-Americans and women from being able to "tarnish" the game. They're even more inherently racist/sexist than most would assume. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

I’ve never knew so many white people had options about how we, black people, use the N Word. So many bad takes out there pouring in from so many dumb people in and out of the game. 

If you haven’t read Micah Johnson’s take, I advise you to. 

My opinion probably isn't going to be very popular but it's really noone has a license to use the word due to it's history. 

And the reasoning to why is really simple it's because the people who were affected most before emancipation have long since passed and don't have a voice. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I didn’t mean any ill-will or to suggest all people over 40 believe in the unwritten rules.  It was more an observation that the younger fans across the country (regardless of team affiliation) seem to be supporting Tim which is cool IMO.

I know you didn't mean any ill will. I am not so thin skinned. I just wanted to make sure u know there are a lot of oldies but goodies hanging around here. Just be careful I might blast some rock music your way on my "quadraphonic blaupunkt" (baseball movie reference alert)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wrathofhahn said:

My opinion probably isn't going to be very popular but it's really noone has a license to use the word due to it's history. 

And the reasoning to why is really simple it's because the people who were affected most before emancipation have long since passed and don't have a voice. 

Well hot damn, at least you knew this was a dumb take before you said it.

Hey bud, less than one lifetime ago was the civil rights movement. People who go back to slavery while citing oppression are some of the most ignorant people alive. Black people still struggle to this day with true equality and extreme oppression was still taking place in this country when my father was born.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 2

Jackie Robinson was getting called that word everyday of his life - threatened with it. Degraded by it. Yet there are people here citing the emancipation proclamation as the end of black oppression and hate... only those who lived during slavery can hand out the permission to use that word because life has been peachy and fair since the emancipation. I dont even know if that word mattered to slaves. The degradation of humans doesnt get much worse than forced labor without pay and legalized rape of their women. The use of it post slavery was a reminder that they may he free but they were not equal.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, greg775 said:

Do you realize how actually literally insane it is to suggest that it is just and right to physically attack people as a response to being embarrassed?

• Like 1

Just now, Eminor3rd said:

Do you realize how actually literally insane it is to suggest that it is just and right to physically attack people as a response to being embarrassed?

"They beat me and hurt my feelings. I should physically attack them."

In baseball, this would command the death sentence.

Your honor, I present my evidence that the Chicago Bears should be contracted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Jackie Robinson was getting called that word everyday of his life - threatened with it. Degraded by it. Yet there are people here citing the emancipation proclamation as the end of black oppression and hate... only those who lived during slavery can hand out the permission to use that word because life has been peachy and fair since the emancipation. I dont even know if that word mattered to slaves. The degradation of humans doesnt get much worse than forced labor without pay and legalized rape of their women. The use of it post slavery was a reminder that they may he free but they were not equal.

I never cited it being the end of black oppression but the word is rooted in slavery.

I just find it disrespectful like for example if someone who is jewish started called themselves Untermensch I would find that disrespectful to the victims of the holocaust (my family is jewish).

But people are allowed to do/believe whatever they want regardless of your personal feelings of the word (or mine) it clearly is inappropriate for a place of business.

Edited by wrathofhahn
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

I never cited it being the end of black oppression but the word is rooted in slavery.

I just find it disrespectful like for example if someone who is jewish started called themselves Untermensch I would find that disrespectful to the victims of the holocaust (my family is jewish).

But people are allowed to do/believe whatever they want regardless of your personal feelings of the word (or mine) it clearly is inappropriate for a place of business.

If we called each other untermensch in conversation, this might hold weight, but we don't.

Instead, have you ever called a fellow Jewish person"Jew"? Cause that's the more apt comparison. I know I have, but I know I've has people call me a "Jew" and based on their tone, who they are, etc. that it was intended as a slur.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/22/opinion/reclaiming-jew.html

“People don’t know what we go through as black men,” Anderson told the Sun-Times Monday. “And they don’t know exactly where we come from being a black man, and the culture of being a black man. What I said was one of those things that happens when black men get mad. When we’re angry, that’s like the go-to word. That lets them know that this guy is serious. It’s a culture thing. I didn’t mean anything by it, but that’s just in my language.’’

https://chicago.suntimes.com/?post_type=cst_article&p=2311296

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

I actually don't think it's right. The baseball thrown 90 could kill a person. And you better believe that pitcher would go to prison. They'd get people to admit it was a purpose pitch. I'm just saying it will continue to happen to Anderson because of the unwritten rules. If he tosses the bat he's gonna get hit the next time up or screamed at as he crosses home plate and his reax would determine whether there's a fight or not.

12 hours ago, wrathofhahn said:

While the slave trade was abolished (slavery still exists today in different forms like human trafficking and private prisons), emancipation didn’t really solve all black people‘s problems in this country. Racism, bigotry and xenophobia was and is alive and well.

I haven’t heard that take before. 

Edit: Did they seriously suggest that slavery ended black oppression in America? Hot damn. 

Edited by Joshua Strong
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/22/2019 at 5:05 PM, wrathofhahn said:

Similarly, I don't like high functioning autism being called "Asperger's" because if you knew who Hans Asperger was you'd puke. He studied children in Hitler Youth and executed those who now bear his name in label in Hitler's eugenics movement. It has an incredibly negative connotation to me. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Similarly, I don't like high functioning autism being called "Asperger's" because if you knew who Hans Asperger was you'd puke. He studied children in Hitler Youth and executed those who now bear his name in label in Hitler's eugenics movement. It has an incredibly negative connotation to me. 

Didn't know that. Thanks for sharing 

3 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Didn't know that. Thanks for sharing 

It was also why high functioning autism was not diagnosed until the late 90s. It was considered quack science until the late 80s. The increase in children being diagnosed with autism is due to increased knowledge of the condition rather than anything else. It is now estimated that 2% of the world's population is on the spectrum. 

Edited by Jack Parkman