The Anderson Saga (continued from game thread)

Dick Allen

14 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

Having fun playing a game = bad example for younger generations.  Got it.

Celebrating every mundane thing can be. Do you think it's fine for 7, 8 and 9 year olds to do the same thing? Every time they get a home run to do the same thing?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Baker said:

I think this is easy enough. Celebration is fine, taunting the other team is not. Umpires discretion. 

100% agree.  As soon as it becomes taunting, allow the umpires to issue a warning.  If it continues, allow for an injection.  No reason for a pitcher to serve as judge, jury, & executioner simply because they caught feelings and the one with a baseball in their hand.

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Celebrating every mundane thing can be. Do you think it's fine for 7, 8 and 9 year olds to do the same thing? Every time they get a home run to do the same thing?

Yes.

What I'm not going to do is tell my 8 year old to react with violence. Worst case, it's a teaching moment to tell your kid not to take silly things so damn personal. 

Edited by mqr

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

100% agree.  As soon as it becomes taunting, allow the umpires to issue a warning.  If it continues, allow for an injection.  No reason for a pitcher to serve as judge, jury, & executioner simply because they caught feelings and the one with a baseball in their hand.

More home runs for everyone!

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

Is it fair to say your position would be you would support the mlb giving umpires some say in regulating on field celebrations if they also eliminated player retaliation measures in earnest?

Sure. Like I said, I don't disagree with celebrating big moments. But celebrating something that happens about 5,000 times in a season? It's not worth celebrating. 

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

Yes.

What I'm not going to do is tell my 8 year old to react with violence. 

ok. I guess we see it differently. When my kid try the bat flip for hitting a home run, I pulled him from the game.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

ok. I guess we see it differently. When my kid try the bat flip for hitting a home run, I pulled him from the game.

If my kid did anything to taunt the opponent then I would have a similar reaction to you. Simply celebrating with his teammates is fine though, I'd even encourage it. 

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

If my kid did anything to taunt the opponent then I would have a similar reaction to you. Simply celebrating with his teammates is fine though, I'd even encourage it. 

I disagree that a home run not in a big moment is worth celebrating with teammates. A game winning one or anything in a big moment, I would agree. This home run for Anderson was nothing special. Not worth celebrating.

25 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

Thanks for bringing this up again. The absolute truth there is that homosexual acts are intrisically evil, and the homosexual inclination is disordered. And there is such a thing as scandalizing the young. But If you want to talk about these things then you can private message me, its not for this thread.

Mods - Please ban this horribly ignorant bigot before he creates a complete a complete shit storm here.  Dude may be entitled to his own opinion (which I fully disagree with), but to state this filth as “absolute truth” is both stupid and disgusting.  Soxtalk should have no place for this type of hatred.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

But you didn't throw a ball at him and wind yourself up in prison right?

No. If someone does that they should be punished. in this situation Keller was ejected. He broke the rules and was punished for it.

11 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I'd want the kids to do it even more than the MLB players (and I want them to do it too). Let the kids have fun. I really don't see the problem.

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I disagree that a home run not in a big moment is worth celebrating with teammates. A game winning one or anything in a big moment, I would agree. This home run for Anderson was nothing special. Not worth celebrating.

So you tell your kid to stop having fun while playing a game? You actually removed him from the game?

It was his 50th career home run, hes zoned in and it tied the game. Its likely timmy said something to his teammates like I got this... then did it and was jacked up. This is normal.

Story time. I only ever hit one home run in high school. I watched the absolute shit out of it not because i was showing anyone up but because I was so excited I had no idea what to do with myself, almost fell on my face rounding first. 

Got plunked the next time up. They plunked the kid who’s only real purpose on the team was to pinch run and pitch. Thought it was horribly dumb ever since. 

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Absolutely.  If kids can have more fun with out actually hurting someone why would I not want them to do that?

3 minutes ago, mqr said:

Story time. I only ever hit one home run in high school. I watched the absolute shit out of it not because i was showing anyone up but because I was so excited I had no idea what to do with myself, almost fell on my face rounding first. 

Got plunked the next time up. They plunked the kid who’s only real purpose on the team was to pinch run and pitch. Thought it was horribly dumb ever since. 

That's great!  And I completely agree.  What sucks most about TA getting tossed is that he probably would have stolen 2nd and 3rd.