Chet Coppock R.I.P.

Was stunned when I saw this, this morning.

What do you say, life is precious and can be gone in an instant.

I first met Chet when I was in high school at the Cougars games, he was the PA announcer.

I just went down and said hello and said I wanted to get into broadcasting (I'd see him on WFLD-TV doing the news cut in's)

He invited me and a high school friend to the studios where he gave us a tour. We even saw Svengoolies coffin! Which was a big deal back then! 

He became a friend and mentor over the years.

He was a little arrogant, but he had a flair and was very good for a long time in the business. One of the first sports radio guys in Chicago and he took a much different approach to things in that area. Here is the link to my interview with him for anyone interested:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=3585

4 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Was stunned when I saw this, this morning.

What do you say, life is precious and can be gone in an instant.

I first met Chet when I was in high school at the Cougars games, he was the PA announcer.

I just went down and said hello and said I wanted to get into broadcasting (I'd see him on WFLD-TV doing the news cut in's)

He invited me and a high school friend to the studios where he gave us a tour. We even saw Svengoolies coffin! Which was a big deal back then! 

He became a friend and mentor over the years.

He was a little arrogant, but he had a flair and was very good for a long time in the business. One of the first sports radio guys in Chicago and he took a much different approach to things in that area. Here is the link to my interview with him for anyone interested:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=3585

Alittle? ;) I met him once and had no issues with him, though but I've heard he was very arrogant. RIP Chet.

Edited by SoxAce

I went to the Super Bowl in 2002, and when me and my father were leaving New Orleans I saw Chet hanging out at the airport near us.   I looked at him and I said to my dad "hey, that's Chet Coppock over there" and Chet heard me, and walked over and shook our hands. He talked to us in the grand(little bit arrogant) way he spoke, complimented my dad on his old school Ditka bears jacket, and just was really fun to hang out with for a while.  I would say we talked for 20-30 minutes and he was really personable, which surprised me because of the stories about him.  I know part of it was he was happy to be recognized, but for the little while he just hung out and to me that was pretty cool.