Former Sox updates (Avi, etc)

greg775

I know I'm prejudiced as I worship Avi, but he's doing very well. .310 batting average with 7 RBI and two homers. OBP of .365. 46 plate appearances against righties and 12 versus lefties.

Look, the guy is a major league outfielder who is ABOVE AVERAGE hitter. Not the greatest fielder but not a complete buffoon out there either. I'd rate him overall as "good baseball player." 

Please put updates of former Sox in this file. Avi baby we love you. Stupid to just give him away when the Sox had/have all that cash laying around. Even you Avi haters have to admit he should have had a chance to be protected by some of the thunder we have in the lineup following the addition of Eloy.

Edited by greg775

Avisail Garcia in RF for $3.5 million dollars guaranteed (less than the guaranteed amount that Hahn signed the imaginary Jon Jay for), Fernando Tatis Jr. at 3B, and Yoan Moncada at 2B, and the Sox could have a pretty good lineup right now.

Rick Hahn is usually his own worst enemy when it comes to free agency, his desire for dumpster diving for position players, and acquiring washed-up starting pitchers with already declining velocity, apparently thinking that Cooper can work some sort of magic that he hasn’t for awhile.

I do think Tim Anderson will cool down a bit eventually but just think — the Sox could have had one more potential All Star to go with Moncada, Eloy, and Anderson.  Imagine having 4 cornerstones on this team with Luis Robert coming.

You could literally burn $45 million dollars in a fire pit and do almost as well as Rick Hahn’s offseason.  At least you would be warm for awhile instead of watching garbage baseball.

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Love 2

10 hours ago, Harper2Sox said:

Avisail Garcia in RF for $3.5 million dollars guaranteed (less than the guaranteed amount that Hahn signed the imaginary Jon Jay for), Fernando Tatis Jr. at 3B, and Yoan Moncada at 2B, and the Sox could have a pretty good lineup right now.

Rick Hahn is usually his own worst enemy when it comes to free agency, his desire for dumpster diving for position players, and acquiring washed-up starting pitchers with already declining velocity, apparently thinking that Cooper can work some sort of magic that he hasn’t for awhile.

I do think Tim Anderson will cool down a bit eventually but just think — the Sox could have had one more potential All Star to go with Moncada, Eloy, and Anderson.  Imagine having 4 cornerstones on this team with Luis Robert coming.

You could literally burn $45 million dollars in a fire pit and do almost as well as Rick Hahn’s offseason.  At least you would be warm for awhile instead of watching garbage baseball.

You're clearly not going to get me defending Rick Hahn in any way, shape, or form, but that still doesn't change the reality with Avi Garcia. He would have been more expensive here, on a 1 year deal. He would be covering RF better than what we have so far this year, but the odds of him staying healthy for the full season are still low. Had he performed well, the best we would have gotten out of him is trading him to a team for someone who probably doesn't even fit into our top 30 prospects at the deadline - corner OF hitters with injury histories don't go for much at the deadline (See: Jay Bruce for a recent example). Palka should have been at DH and not in RF, but he absolutely earned more at bats last year. Cordell hasn't played poorly. If one of those guys can become an adequate DH or 4th outfielder next year, that player right there is more valuable to us than anything Avi Garcia would have done for the 2019 White Sox. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Point taken.  I doubt Avi will burn the Sox much.

But take a look at Omar Narvaez’s stats.  Hahn is terrible.

While I didn't like the Narvaez deal, I do want to admit that I find it extra ironic that as of right now Narvaez has slightly improved his framing stats compared to last year and Welington Castillo now shows up as substantially worse.

On 4/19/2019 at 10:38 AM, Balta1701 said:

While I didn't like the Narvaez deal, I do want to admit that I find it extra ironic that as of right now Narvaez has slightly improved his framing stats compared to last year and Welington Castillo now shows up as substantially worse.

As I predicted...get him away from Cooper and his pitchers and that's what happens.  
I hated that trade from the outset:  a young catcher improving significantly with the bat  and who showed excellent plate patience for a fungible closer.  The quality orgs stockpile hitters like that - Rick Hahn can't wait to get of them.

Edited by GreenSox

On 4/22/2019 at 8:24 PM, ron883 said:

It really hurts to see these guys doing so well. It's pretty masochistic of me to keep checking their stats, but I can't help myself. Tatis and Narvaez look great. 

It doesn't hurt me to see Avi do well. He was a model player, hustled his ass off, for sure passed the eye test, two years ago was magnificent, and yet was deemed old news and "not good enough" so we didn't sign him for pennies. it's OK. Perhaps he will get hurt again. He's made it through the coldest month, April, without tearing the hammy, though. Love u Avi! Narvaez? I was never a huge fan, but obviously will let his good stats speak for themselves.

• 4 weeks later...

Avi hustling his ass around the bases tonight. .284, 10 HR, 23 RBI. Guess Greg is not a bad judge of talent after all.

It is simply a disgrace that Avi Garcia is not patrolling RF for the Sox this season. And yes his bat would have helped this lineup. Ridiculous that fans despised him so. On a team with so many busts, Avi was the least of our problems.

Hail Avi Baby!!

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Avi hustling his ass around the bases tonight. .284, 10 HR, 23 RBI. Guess Greg is not a bad judge of talent after all.

It is simply a disgrace that Avi Garcia is not patrolling RF for the Sox this season. And yes his bat would have helped this lineup. Ridiculous that fans despised him so. On a team with so many busts, Avi was the least of our problems.

Hail Avi Baby!!

A big thing was that a lot of fans assumed the money they saved by not signing him would go towards Manny or Bryce. Unfortunately, it went towards awful players. 

12 hours ago, greg775 said:

Hail Avi Baby!!

Greg, the best thing that happened to Avi Garcia was to go to a competent organization like the Rays. If Reinsdorf and Hahn had half a brain they'd be poaching people from them. 

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 10:21 AM, Moan4Yoan said:

Point taken.  I doubt Avi will burn the Sox much.

But take a look at Omar Narvaez’s stats.  Hahn is terrible.

Yeah, keeping Narvaez over signing McCann + not getting Colome in return would have been genius on Hahn's behalf

:violin

Edited by soxfan49

On 5/30/2019 at 10:53 AM, soxfan49 said:

Yeah, keeping Narvaez over signing McCann + not getting Colome in return would have been genius on Hahn's behalf

:violin

He should have kept Narvaez and signed McCann.
If he had done his work on FAs seriously instead of Santana, Alonso, and Jay, the Sox might actually be a contender for that last WC spot.  

The Alonso trade looks like the classic lose/lose.  The Sox got a bad player (as expected); but the salary relief  induced the Indians to delay their retooling, apparently for naught.

Edited by GreenSox

• 2 weeks later...