Former Sox updates (Avi, etc)

greg775

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

What? He's been atrocious in the minors

18 HR, 47 RBI. Batting average doesn't matter any more. He has a healthy 31 walks for a good on base percentage as well. What's with the citing of BA? Who cares.

11 minutes ago, greg775 said:

18 HR, 47 RBI. Batting average doesn't matter any more. He has a healthy 31 walks for a good on base percentage as well. What's with the citing of BA? Who cares.

So a career .730 OPS MLB hitter is hitting for power in the minors so now the Sox should reacquire him? That ship has sailed, man

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

So a career .730 OPS MLB hitter is hitting for power in the minors so now the Sox should reacquire him? That ship has sailed, man

I realize he won't be back but he's one of my faves.

Q got absolutely lit up today. I still like him, but he's clearly not the same guy he was from 2012-17. It seems the Cubs traded for him and he has fallen off of a cliff. His last good season was 2017. He was still that guy in 2017 when the Sox traded him, but it seems like either the NL figured him out or he's lost it. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

11 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Cubs fans absolutely lighting up Quintana on Twitter. 

I honestly don't know how they can exercise his option next year, especially if Eloy keeps raking. He's gonna get booed every time he takes the mound. If the Cubs fans want to blame anyone, blame St. Theo (the most overrated GM in baseball) rather than Q. 

I'm actually a little bummed that Q has done so poorly for the Cubs because the deal made too much sense when it went down, and I was arguing with Cub fans about it beforehand. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

7 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I honestly don't know how they can exercise his option next year, especially if Eloy keeps raking. He's gonna get booed every time he takes the mound. If the Cubs fans want to blame anyone, blame St. Theo (the most overrated GM in baseball) rather than Q. 

I'm actually a little bummed that Q has done so poorly for the Cubs because the deal made too much sense when it went down, and I was arguing with Cub fans about it beforehand. 

I told my buddy they were going to adore Q. I have never figured out how he fell so rapidly without losing any velocity between all star 2016 and medicore 2017. 

On 6/22/2019 at 12:57 PM, Jack Parkman said:

Q got absolutely lit up today. I still like him, but he's clearly not the same guy he was from 2012-17. It seems the Cubs traded for him and he has fallen off of a cliff. His last good season was 2017. He was still that guy in 2017 when the Sox traded him, but it seems like either the NL figured him out or he's lost it. 

Despite some of his stats one that rings out is the teams behind him don't support him. He' basically a .500 pitcher.   I thought he would light up the NL but he's basically around a .500. 

19 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

The Cubs will exercise Q’s option because it is only $10.5 million.  Theo won’t want to admit that he made a mistake.  But the trade was a bust regardless for them.

Yeah I would bet on it being picked up. They need his innings, even if he's a back-end starter.

10 hours ago, greg775 said:

Avi still doing well; Tatis is on fire. The hatred of Avi on here in retrospect sickens me even more.

You can be a Rays fan, nobody minds.  Go enjoy avi with other fans and report back to us in few years

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

You can be a Rays fan, nobody minds.  Go enjoy avi with other fans and report back to us in few years

LOL. This is a thread about former Sox. I guess positive comments bout Avi and Tatis are bothersome in such a thread.

22 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

Avi on pace for a 4 WAR season with an OPS above 800. What kind of contract does he get in the offseason if he keeps those numbers up? 

From what I've read from fans on here I think their problem with Avi is ... a.) one year he admitted he didn't work hard enough in the offseason and reported out of shape; b.) he pulls hammies a lot and c.)  he's considered a buffoon defensively.

I think all 3 of those things are reasonable takes/concerns. The advanced stat people also can find many examples of him reeking I guess. I would argue the three issues are not that big a deal if you are a fan of him and happen to like him. 1.) I guess it's awful to be out of shape if you are a paid professional baseball player but I can forgive him for that. Not every ballplayer is perfect even though to some, reporting out of shape is an unforgiveable offense. 2.) Injuries happen unfortunately. I think he's worth the gamble despite the hammy issues; others don't. 3.) The Sox seem to traditionally suck on defense. I personally don't think he's that bad.

The fun has left baseball. One of the reasons I worship Avi is some of the big games he had and big bombs he hit. That year he hit .320 he was smashing the ball DEEP.

All that said, the Avi hatred on here sometimes seems vicious almost as if he was some demon trying to earn a living bashing baseballs for a team he admittedly loved playing for. As much as fans despise Sale for cutting the uniforms and Ozzie for quitting on the team, it seems to me Avi would be rather likeable since all he did was express joy in playing for the Sox. But in the day and age of advanced stats, there's little room for liking a player just because. Avi blows, the stats indicate even though he's a fun player to watch play what in some respects has become a dull sport.

I will conclude this report by saying ... Me.Likey.Avi.

Edited by greg775

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I've said it before but if I were the Sox, I'd target Q. He gives them innings and worse case is a back of the rotation guy and if the change of scenery back to the south side helps, even better.  

You know, that's not a bad idea at all. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, greg775 said:

LOL. This is a thread about former Sox. I guess positive comments bout Avi and Tatis are bothersome in such a thread.

Here you are calling everyone haters and complaining about a lack of positivity

29 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Here you are calling everyone haters and complaining about a lack of positivity

Did you take debate in school or something? I need to learn my lesson and not respond to you. You always have some sort of quick line that in your mind wins the argument and in reality, probably does win the argument.

As much as people say I don't read others' replies, nobody reads mine. My reply here and in the Abreu thread are full of well thought out comments but nobody responds to that cept in quick one liners.

In response to your one liner ... I don't see how anybody could read this board and not realize there simply are haters (of Avi and Jose) and nothing will ever change their minds. I on the other hand could be called a worshiper of those two; but to suggest there's something wrong in me calling out 'haters' of those two is misguided IMO.

7 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Did you take debate in school or something? I need to learn my lesson and not respond to you. You always have some sort of quick line that in your mind wins the argument and in reality, probably does win the argument.

As much as people say I don't read others' replies, nobody reads mine. My reply here and in the Abreu thread are full of well thought out comments but nobody responds to that cept in quick one liners.

In response to your one liner ... I don't see how anybody could read this board and not realize there simply are haters (of Avi and Jose) and nothing will ever change their minds. I on the other hand could be called a worshiper of those two; but to suggest there's something wrong in me calling out 'haters' of those two is misguided IMO.

I don't see how you can come here and constantly play the martyr but here we are.   No debate class, just annoyed at your constant playing the victim, dismissal of anyone who actually brings facts to a discussion, and you calling people haters and sabes 

many, MANY, people on this site have spent hours writing long form posts that's debate things that you dismiss and barely skim.  So happy for you that avi is finally having a good season, it's so great that it took 5 years of fucking around in a white Sox uniform to actually have another good season.  Yay avi.  Yay

• Like 2