Future White Sox Lineup #GetExcited

JUSTgottaBELIEVE

7 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m not writing off Eloy being a LF just yet (although he has looked bad out there), but if there is any concern at all that he’s a future DH in the near-term then it makes adding someone like JD Martinez a bit of a challenge.  Instead, here’s what I think our future lineup could look like:

2020 (OD)         2020 (A-S)          2021 (OD) 

• 1B:  Alonso              Alonso               Vaughn
  • 2B:  Sanchez           Madrigal            Madrigal
  • SS:  Anderson        Anderson           Anderson
  • 3B:  Moncada         Moncada           Moncada
  • LF:   Jimenez           Luis B/G              Luis B/G
  • CF:  L. Garcia          Robert                Robert
  • RF:  M. Ozuna        M. Ozuna           M. Ozuna
  • DH: Cheap Vet       Jimenez              Jimenez
  • CA:  Collins             Collins                Collins

Outside of catcher, that 2021 team would be excellent defensively and every single member of the lineup could hit 20+ HRs with the exception of Madrigal.  And with Ozuna being the only major addition to the lineup, that leaves plenty of money to address the pitching staff.  Alternatively, if Collins doesn’t show he can be passable at catcher this year, then we should be all over Grandal as well.

How did you align these so beautifully?

• Love 1

6 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think there’s hope for the lineup, but you’re getting a little carried away by saying so much of the core is in place.  We hopefully have three important pieces in place.  Robert & Madrigal are likely to be major leaguers, but are still just in High A.  Collins bat is responding well to the juiced ball in AAA and a better hitting environment, but still has a ton of question marks defensively.  Hell, my lineup is assuming we land Vaughn with the #3 pick.  Still plenty of unknowns / question marks with most of these guys.  Moncada & Anderson taking big steps forward is huge for the rebuild, but we’ve still got a ways to go.

Robert and Madrigal are both locks at CF and 2b imo (assuming health of course). Not saying they are surefire all stars but they are as close to surefire mlb regulars as you can get for still being in A+. That’s 5/9 positions filled with a really good shot of filling a 6th via the draft in 6 weeks. Collins would be a lock for a 7th guy if we knew he could stick at catcher because that bat will play. Each one of those guys is under team control thru 2023 at a minimum and even longer if Rick can find a way to extend Moncada. This provides the organization with a ton of flexibility to fill remaining holes. The Sox lineup next year will be more complete than any they’ve had since 2012 and in a couple years their lineup could rival the 2006 team.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, beautox said:

2020 (OD)         2020 (A-S)          2021 (OD) 

• 1B:  Collins              Collins               Collins
  • 2B:  Madrigal           Madrigal            Madrigal
  • SS:  Anderson        Anderson           Anderson
  • 3B:  Moncada         Moncada           Moncada
  • LF:   Luis G              Luis G                 Luis G
  • CF:  Robert             Robert                Robert
  • RF:  Luis B               Luis B                 Luis B
  • DH: Jimenez           Jimenez              Jimenez
  • CA:  Grandal          Grandal              Rutschman

I think we see Robert, Madrigal & Collins all graduate this year at some point. I think both Luis' make their way to AAA as well. I also think prospect fatigue will be real with Rutschman ala Rodon and the sox pick him at 3. The Os will go underslot for Witt and KC going for Lodolo or Thompson. Lastly this will be the final sell off this trade deadline I hope the sox focus on super low minors to supplement the pipeline.

Alex Colome for OF Drew Waters# & LHP Kyle Muller from the braves

Ivan Nova for OF Julio Rodriguez & LHP Brayan Perez from the mariners

Kelvin Herrera for 3B Malcom Nunez & C Ivan Herrera from the cardinals

Yonder Alonso for OF Jeremy De La Rosa from the nationals

Jose Abreu for SS Livan Soto from the angels

I like the ideas but wouldn't Julio Rodriguez be untouchable, especially for someone like Nova? I think Seattle thinks very highly of him 

4 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

I like the ideas but wouldn't Julio Rodriguez be untouchable, especially for someone like Nova? I think Seattle thinks very highly of him 

Hes got a 45+FV on him according to fangaphs and is young and doing well in A ball, FG had this to say about both Rodriguez & Perez.

It isn’t often that people in baseball begin recounting their thoughts on a player as talented as Rodriguez with fawning anecdotes about the player’s maturity, but that is almost always what happens when scouts talk about Julio. He is an old, reflective soul with an adolescent’s enthusiasm for baseball in the body of a Division I tight end. Because Rodriguez spent his 2018 summer in the DSL (which isn’t heavily scouted) and Seattle eschews game action during instructional league, if people in baseball wanted a look at Rodriguez they sought out the highlight clips he would upload to his Instagram account. He hit .315/.404/.525 in the DSL, so there were plenty of those. His feed is also full of group photos with other young prospects and several big leaguers, all of whom Rodriguez is taller than.

The convergence of his physical, technical, and seeming emotional maturity have caused Seattle to publicly consider skipping Rodriguez over the AZL and Northwest League in favor of sending him right to their new Low-A affiliate in Charleston, West Virginia as a young 18-year-old. The cultural assimilation curve may be steep, but Rodriguez is talented enough to have on-field success there. His approach is quiet and would appear contact-oriented if not for his prodigious natural strength, which turns would-be flare singles into gap doubles, and causes mis-hit flyouts to threaten the warning track. He could end up with a plus bat and plus power, plenty to profile in an outfield corner, hit in the middle of a good order, and perhaps be a perennial All-Star. The Kelenic/Rodriguez duo is refined enough that they each might be promoted at a pace that more closely mimics college players than recently-acquired teenagers, which would enable them to have more big league overlap with the crop of twenty-somethings the org acquired in the Paxton/Diaz deals.

Perez is an 18-year-old pitchability lefty who threw well in the DSL; his stuff is currently a bunch of 45s and 50s and his arm action is good, but the frame limits projection.

Both of them appear to be two wild cards that you typically see come back for a solid back of the rotation starter, with Rodriguez being #144 on "The Board".

I think JDM would be a great addition to the lineup and clubhouse. I don't see the FO giving him $150Mil for 5 years( at age 32) which is what it will most likely take. But he would look great on the South Side.  He will also want a guarantee that he plays some % of games in the field but he is not Eloy out there.  

I'm just going to assume that the Sox will draft Andrew Vaughn for the sake of this exercise.

Catcher: Collins

1st Baseman: Vaughn

2nd Baseman: Madrigal

Shortstop: Anderson

3rd Baseman: Moncada

Left Fielder: ?

Centerfielder: Robert

Right Fielder: ?

Designated Hitter: Jimenez

That is a damn good foundation on the hitting side of things. I would expect a free agent signing or two sprinkled in there, and hopefully one of Adolfo/Basabe/Gonzalez/Rutherford/Walker separates themselves from the pack and earns a spot. I honestly think pitching is a much bigger need than hitting for the Sox moving forward, which is ironic considering all the hoopla surrounding Harper and Machado this past offseason.

What is everyone's obsession with Vaughn?  I know he mashes college pitching and all, but you really want to use a top 3 pick on a 1B?  Give me Rutschman, Abrams  and Witt over Vaughn. 

Sidenote: I do not follow college baseball closely.  

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

What is everyone's obsession with Vaughn?  I know he mashes college pitching and all, but you really want to use a top 3 pick on a 1B?  Give me Rutschman, Abrams  and Witt over Vaughn. 

Sidenote: I do not follow college baseball closely.  

Its entirely possible that Rutschman goes #1 overall unless prospect fatigue or the O's realize that an above average catcher isn't going to catapult their restart and decide to go underslot with Witt or Abrams at #1. If the O's pass on Rutschman I think he lands with the sox at 3 because of the royals org depth at C between Perez, Melendez & Viloria and I don't see them going with Vaughan at #2 after having taken Pratto in '17. I would not be surprised if that come Monday June 3rd the O's take Witt #1 and the Royals take Abrams #2, both underslot. 

2 minutes ago, beautox said:

I would not be surprised if that come Monday June 3rd the O's take Witt #1 and the Royals take Abrams #2, both underslot. 

That would seem to be best case scenario for the Sox to nab the #1 prospect at #3, similar to Rodon siutation. 

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Is Rutchsmann considered a very good defensive C? 

Yup. He's the total package. Fangraphs would place him as the 16th best prospect in baseball if draft prospects were eligible for the list already. That being said, I'm still not optimistic he falls to #3. Would be floored if he did though.

Edited by DirtySox

Just now, DirtySox said:

Yup. He's the total package. Fangraphs would place him as the 16th best prospect in baseball if draft prospects were eligible for the list already.

You think there is any chance he falls to 3, Dirty?  I know you follow this stuff closely.  

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

You think there is any chance he falls to 3, Dirty?  I know you follow this stuff closely.  

There is certainly a chance. I think it's small though. He's by far the best prospect in this draft class. Premium position, well rounded, and continues to perform. Fangraphs has a 60 FV value on him. If he does make it to three, it's going to be a combination of both BAL/KC getting cute with saving money and distributing to later picks, and the fact that he might not "fit" the rebuild timeline.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

The OP seems to think that all the Sox prospects are going to pan out. That isn't going to happen. Just ask the 2015 Minnesota Twins and their top 3 farm system. 

And the Twins made the playoffs in 2017 and look like a division contender this year. All while carrying a team payroll in the bottom half of MLB. They still have a top 10 farm system as well. I’d say they’re set up pretty well to serve as the Sox biggest division rival over the next several years.

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

And the Twins made the playoffs in 2017 and look like a division contender this year. All while carrying a team payroll in the bottom half of MLB. They still have a top 10 farm system as well. I’d say they’re set up pretty well to serve as the Sox biggest division rival over the next several years.

Meh.  The Twins window is now.  They'll compete with the Sox on the front end of the Sox window, but they'll be rebuilding again well before the Sox window closes.  They also are going to have a major pitching issue very soon.  Berrios is a stud, and Graterol should be interesting enough, but that is really all they have.  Maybe Gonsalves is an ok back end guy.  Romero will be reliever.  All of Odorizzi, Pineda, Gibson, and Perez will be FA this coming fall.  That is 80% of their rotation.  Kiriloff and Lewis are nice on the position player side, but their current core of Rosario, Buxton and Sano will be at FA or damn near by the time those guys arrive.

Twins will flirt with 84-88 win range next 3 seasons or so, but I am not super duper concerned about them turning into anything fantastic or long lasting.  

24 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Whop de doo. The Twins made the playoffs in 2017 and got swept right out. They had a top farm system 4 years ago and haven't won jack shit with it. 

The Sox aren't gonna win jack shit either without spending some $$$. 

17 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Meh.  The Twins window is now.  They'll compete with the Sox on the front end of the Sox window, but they'll be rebuilding again well before the Sox window closes.  They also are going to have a major pitching issue very soon.  Berrios is a stud, and Graterol should be interesting enough, but that is really all they have.  Maybe Gonsalves is an ok back end guy.  Romero will be reliever.  All of Odorizzi, Pineda, Gibson, and Perez will be FA this coming fall.  That is 80% of their rotation.  Kiriloff and Lewis are nice on the position player side, but their current core of Rosario, Buxton and Sano will be at FA or damn near by the time those guys arrive.

Twins will flirt with 84-88 win range next 3 seasons or so, but I am not super duper concerned about them turning into anything fantastic or long lasting.  

I agree but I was responding to a post that implied the Twins top 3 farm system in 2015 amounted to nothing because a handful of their top prospects failed to live up to expectations. They’ve got a good shot of playoffs in 2 of 3 years and may very well be the division favorite in 2020 assuming they fill their expiring vets through free agency or trades. It’s been a long time since the Sox were in a similar position but I’m confident it’s coming soon.

1 minute ago, OneDog847 said:

Whop de doo. The Twins made the playoffs in 2017 and got swept right out. They had a top farm system 4 years ago and haven't won jack shit with it. 

The Sox aren't gonna win jack shit either without spending some $$$. 

You’re talking like the Twins’ window with that group of players has completely closed. Their window is still very well open. I wouldn’t be surprised if they won the division this year.