Future White Sox Lineup #GetExcited

JUSTgottaBELIEVE

My fantasy offseason: 

Sign one of 

Gerrit Cole

Stephen Strasburg(if he opts out, I think he will) 

Madison Bumgarner(last resort, but they need a lefty. I know he's an asshat but he has that playoff pedigree) 

Sign: 

Yasmani Grandal

Scooter Gennett

A stopgap RF

Abreu on a 1 year deal

and go win the ALC. 

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

My (fantasy) offseason plan:

Sign Gerrit Cole (6 years, $168M)

Sign Yasmani Grandal (3 years, $60M)

Re-sign Jose Abreu (2 years, $18M)

Sign Scotter Gennet (3 years, $36M)

Sign Alex Wood (1 year, $10M)

Adds: $292M in spending, ~$80M to 2020 payroll, which would still be below league average at around $115-$120M

Opening Day:

Lineup: Leury Garcia CF, Yoan Moncada 3B, Jose Abreu 1B, Eloy Jimenez LF, Yasmani Grandal C, Scotter Gennett 2B, Zack Collins DH, Tim Anderson SS, Someone (Tilson, Cordell, Basabe, RF

Rotation: Cole, Giolito, Cease, Wood, Lopez

Bullpen: Colome, Herrera, Hamilton, Bummer, Burr, Frare, Fry, one of Covey/Ruiz/Vieria/Marshall/etc.

Bench: McCann, Sanchez, Tilson/Cordell/Basabe/Engel

Mid-Season:

Lineup: Luis Robert CF, Yoan Moncada 3B, Jose Abreu 1B, Eloy Jimenez LF, Yasmani Grandal C, Scotter Gennett RF, Zack Collins DH, Tim Anderson SS, Nick Madrigal 2B

Rotation: Cole, Giolito, Kopech, Cease, Wood (or Lopez)

Bullpen: Same

Bench: McCann, Sanchez, Leury

Pipedream? For sure.  But I'd go to fucking battle with that team.  

You could lop 96 million off that plan and still be in pretty good shape. 

4 minutes ago, mqr said:

You could lop 96 million off that plan and still be in pretty good shape. 

Sure.  It just kind of crazy how much the Sox could transform their team next season spending less than they would have spent on Machado.  Give me Cole, Grandal, Gennett, Wood and Abreu over Machado everyday.  I think those suggested deals are pretty realistic too.  Cole may be $10-12M light, but I don't think is crazy to think $28M AAV over 6 years would get it done.  Wood should be looking for a pillow deal after missing most of this season.  Gennett is a little harder to pinpoint, but 3/$36M seems fair.  Bump it to 3/$40M I wouldn't argue.  

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If they wanted to be conservative, they could sign a SP, Grandal, and a stopgap RF, and be done with it. 

Who is this stopgap RF though?  There are not many options.  Markakis would be nice, but ATL has a $6M option.  Doubt they don't pick that up.  Kole Calhoun?  Gross.  Avi Garcia?  Been down that road.  There are very few options after Ozuna, Castellanos, and Puig, who are not stop gaps, obviously.  A lefty stick would also be preferred.  

30 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Who is this stopgap RF though?  There are not many options.  Markakis would be nice, but ATL has a $6M option.  Doubt they don't pick that up.  Kole Calhoun?  Gross.  Avi Garcia?  Been down that road.  There are very few options after Ozuna, Castellanos, and Puig, who are not stop gaps, obviously.  A lefty stick would also be preferred.  

Yeah, they might have to trade for one. 

13 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Sox don't have all that much to trade that I would consider expendable at this point. 

Robert, Cease, Madrigal, Vaughn, Kopech are not going anywhere

Dunning, Adolfo are coming off injury

Rutherford, Basabe, Gonzalez all have had poor 2019 performance

10 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Sox don't have all that much to trade that I would consider expendable at this point. 

Robert, Cease, Madrigal, Vaughn, Kopech are not going anywhere

Dunning, Adolfo are coming off injury

Rutherford, Basabe, Gonzalez all have had poor 2019 performance

Yep. The Sox shouldn't be trading any prospects at this point. They should still be trying to acquire prospects actually. 

FA only cost $ and most likely a second round draft pick. 

The Sox can afford Cole and Rendon. Get it done Hahn! 

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Seriously, a 29 year old, LH hitting, decently fielding, overpaid right fielder is available from the North Side. If you picked up $50 million of the $86 million he has remaining they'd probably give you him for the equivalent of Alex Call. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Seriously, a 29 year old, LH hitting, decently fielding, overpaid right fielder is available from the North Side. If you picked up $50 million of the $86 million he has remaining they'd probably give you him for the equivalent of Alex Call. 

His defense is trending the wrong way in a hurry and he’s basically a 90 wRC+ hitter in a Cubs uniform over the past 4 years. Hard pass. I’d rather sign Avi Garcia to a cheap deal (certainly far cheaper than $50M) than trade for Heyward.

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

JFC no way in hell am I taking Heyward off the Cubs’ hands because of a solid two months of production.

• Like 1

Cole needs to be our #1 priority this off season which means the FO will have to overpay.  Yankees are REALLY going to want him, among others.

Ozuna would be a nice get and depending on McCann/Collins I'd want Grandal.  Throw a few bucks at some pen arms and see what happens.

13 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Cole needs to be our #1 priority this off season which means the FO will have to overpay.  Yankees are REALLY going to want him, among others.

Ozuna would be a nice get and depending on McCann/Collins I'd want Grandal.  Throw a few bucks at some pen arms and see what happens.

Sign Ozuna

If McCann falls off Overpay Grandal

Let Collins DH 

Over pay Cole

Sign second tier starting pitcher 

Sign a lights out bullpen arm. 

Call up Robert and Madrigal to start the season, try to extend 

Move Rodon to bullpen when he comes back

Hire biggest name manager who has been there before

Buy beer for division title celebration. 

13 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

Sign Ozuna

If McCann falls off Overpay Grandal

Let Collins DH 

Over pay Cole

Sign second tier starting pitcher 

Sign a lights out bullpen arm. 

Call up Robert and Madrigal to start the season, try to extend 

Move Rodon to bullpen when he comes back

Hire biggest name manager who has been there before

Buy beer for division title celebration. 

An OF with Eloy and Ozuna in it is the stuff of nightmares. Only way Ozuna makes any sense on the longer term deal he would require is if the Sox are positive Eloy can stick in LF and/or they are ready to move on from Abreu.

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

An OF with Eloy and Ozuna in it is the stuff of nightmares. Only way Ozuna makes any sense on the longer term deal he would require is if the Sox are positive Eloy can stick in LF and/or they are ready to move on from Abreu.

He's pretty bad defensively but if they had some type of DH rotation you could mitigate that.  His bat would be great in the middleish of that lineup.

4 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

He's pretty bad defensively but if they had some type of DH rotation you could mitigate that.  His bat would be great in the middleish of that lineup.

Well Vaughn should be up by end of 2020, so that takes 1B.  Sox have pretty much said they're going to resign or extend Abreu (hopefully no more than 2 seasons).  Has a couple week cold stretch changed that?  Doubt it.  Plus you have Collins who is going to DH most of the day against RHP.  Going to be tough to get Ozuna (or Eloy) many DH at bats.  

I think the idea of Ozuna being a good fit for this team disappeared last week when the Sox drafted Vaughn. 

6 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Anyone else think Alex Wood might be a nice fit? He's been injured all year but he's solid when healthy. And he's also left handed and would cost a fraction of what Cole will get.

That's who I have had in mine. Seems like others as well. 

20 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Anyone else think Alex Wood might be a nice fit? He's been injured all year but he's solid when healthy. And he's also left handed and would cost a fraction of what Cole will get.

Cole AND Wood would be ideal. Allows Sox to take it slow with Kopech as well. 

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Cole AND Wood would be ideal. Allows Sox to take it slow with Kopech as well. 

JDM and Rendon would be ideal for the lineup but how realistic is it? Sox aren't throwing $150M+ at Cole?

4 minutes ago, raBBit said:

JDM and Rendon would be ideal for the lineup but how realistic is it? Sox aren't throwing $150M+ at Cole?

Not realistic at all.

But the Sox are fucking idiots if they're unwilling to pay Cole $150M+.  This rotation badly needs an anchor.  Cole would be that guy.  Shifting Gio, Kopech and Cease down a notch is imperative if they actually want to build a sustained winner over this 2020-2025 window.  The Sox could add $80M in payroll next season and still be under league average.  Its time to act like they're actually trying.  I agree with you that it probably won't happen, but since they saved $250M trying to be cute (just cheap, really) with Machado, its time they actually spend some money and starting filling in the gaps.  

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Love 1