Future White Sox Lineup #GetExcited

JUSTgottaBELIEVE

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Not realistic at all.

But the Sox are fucking idiots if they're unwilling to pay Cole $150M+.  This rotation badly needs an anchor.  Cole would be that guy.  Shifting Gio, Kopech and Cease down a notch is imperative if they actually want to build a sustained winner over this 2020-2025 window.  The Sox could add $80M in payroll next season and still be under league average.  Its time to act like they're actually trying.  I agree with you that it probably won't happen, but since they saved $250M trying to be cute (just cheap, really) with Machado, its time they actually spend some money and starting filling in the gaps.  

I hear you and your points are valid but I don't think Reinsdorf breaks the mold with a pitcher. 

1 minute ago, raBBit said:

I hear you and your points are valid but I don't think Reinsdorf breaks the mold with a pitcher. 

Other molds have been broken in recent years, and I hope that trend continues.  The Sox have no chance to be anything more than just an interestingish team if they don't add some significant pieces from outside the org.  The pitching depth has been decimated by injury.  Adding a legit TOR SP needs to be the top priority this offseason, IMO.  I expect to be disappointed, but am hopeful they buck the fuck up and pay the man his money.  

1 minute ago, raBBit said:

Completely agree. I think they will give Lopez every opportunity possible to be in this rotation long term then they will just add one more guy (more likely via trade). @Whitesox27 idea of Wood I like quite a bit. 

2 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Completely agree. I think they will give Lopez every opportunity possible to be in this rotation long term then they will just add one more guy (more likely via trade). @Whitesox27 idea of Wood I like quite a bit. 

You can add Cole and Wood and still give Lopez a shot to start next season.  Cole, Gio, Cease, Wood, Lopez.  It just means the Sox take it easy with Kopech, let him regain his footing in AAA, and manage his innings a bit in the early going.  Bring him back up when we get a year of service back in late May / early June.  

That is what I would do and is my preferred route, but I am sure the Sox will just let Kopech take his lumps in the big leagues and be forced to shut him down in August due to an innings limit. 

Edited by ChiSox59

3 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I agree. I think the organizational thought is to not give more than 5 years to pitchers. The Danks contract kind of anchored that consensus.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Not realistic at all.

But the Sox are fucking idiots if they're unwilling to pay Cole $150M+.  This rotation badly needs an anchor.  Cole would be that guy.  Shifting Gio, Kopech and Cease down a notch is imperative if they actually want to build a sustained winner over this 2020-2025 window.  The Sox could add $80M in payroll next season and still be under league average.  Its time to act like they're actually trying.  I agree with you that it probably won't happen, but since they saved $250M trying to be cute (just cheap, really) with Machado, its time they actually spend some money and starting filling in the gaps.  

It will be interesting to hear the front office's excuses if they punt this offseason again and don't spend significantly. 

9 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Anyone else not see Kopech starting out in the minors next year? I would think the MLBPA would get involved thinking that it is service time manipulation.

I could see him starting in the bigs, but not due to trying to avoid a grievance or anything.  The dude is recovering from a major elbow operation!  He has minimal major leauge innings!  He'll be on a pitch count to start, and an innings count next year!  The MLBPA would have absolutely zero case. 

The Padres just sent Chris Paddock back to the minors FFS.  He's been dicing all season long! 

32 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I've been on Wood for a while. Great mix of track of record of success, buying opportunity and flexibility. 

That would be a Sox type of signing on the bargain rack free agents isle. Hasn't worked out for them yet.

5 minutes ago, NotHahn said:

That would be a Sox type of signing on the bargain rack free agents isle. Hasn't worked out for them yet.

He's much better than whoever you're referring to. He'll be sought after by contenders. Sox wouldn't be alone if they pursued. 

11 minutes ago, raBBit said:

He's much better than whoever you're referring to. He'll be sought after by contenders. Sox wouldn't be alone if they pursued. 

Wood makes sense as a secondary addition. Would be very underwhelming if he was the main get this offseason. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Not saying that he is bad at all but hes not on the Cole, Strasburg, Baumgardner level. Always feel like we should be going after the top talent in free agency especially when it seems this team is almost ready to compete.

2020 Sox team in July (Please note I do NOT expect the Sox to sign either Rendon or Cole, but man would that be a fun team to watch 12 months from now)

Total Guaranteed $ currently from 2019 Players

$17.58

Dead Money ($2.75)

Alonso - $1

Castillo - $0.5

Jones - $1.25

Starters (Guaranteed $6.33 from current players)

C - McCann (last year of Arb, made $2.5 this year)

1B - Collins (Pre-Arb)

2B - Madrigal (Pre-Arb)

SS - Anderson ($4)

3B - Rendon (Sign to 6 year $195, front load first 3 years for $135, last 3 for $60 )

LF - Eloy ($2.33)

CF - Robert (Pre-Arb)

RF - Moncada (Pre-Arb)

DH - Palka (to be replaced by Vaughn when he's ready, 1B/DH rotation of McCann, Collins, Zavala, and Vaughn)

Bench

C/1B/DH - Zavala (Pre-Arb) (C platoon of McCann, Zavala, Collins)

Util - Leury (last year of Arb., made $1.55 this year)

Util - Y. Sanchez (Arb, made $4.62 this year, do you non-tender Yolmer, that salary seems high for a utility player)

Util - Mendick (Pre-Arb)

SP

RHP Giolito - (Pre-Arb)

RHP Cole - (Sign to 6 year $160, front load first 3 years for $100, last 3 for $60)

RHP Cease - (Pre-Arb)

RHP Kopech - (Pre-Arb)

LHP Rodon - (2nd year Arb, made $4.2 this year)

BP (Guaranteeed $8.5 from current players)

CP Colome - (last year of Arb, made $7.33 this year)

RHP Herrera - $8.5

RHP Lopez - (Pre-Arb) (Available as extra starter to work Kopech and Rodon back from TJ, and to watch Cease's inning total)

LHP Bummer - (Pre-Arb)

LHP Fry (Pre-Arb)

RHP - Burdi (Pre-Arb)

RHP - Hamilton (Pre-Arb)

Edited by Sox Fan In Husker Land
  • Love 1

24 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

raBBit, who do you like on the positional side of things? Would you like a Castellanos signing to play DH/RF?

I wouldn't.

Grandal should be priority #1 going into the offseason no ifs and buts about it. McCann's performance has been great in 2019 and the Sox masquerade Collins as a catcher - neither of these things factor into the fact that the Sox should target Grandal.

I think we need a versatile infielder with a track record of success. I would like Scooter Gennet or Howie Kendrick (love his game, leadership) but I kind of think the Sox will continue to use Yolmer as they tend to do.

Past that, I think they ultimately combat some of the 40 man roster issues by trading a group of players for a right fielder. Mets make sense if they're willing to move on from one of Conforto/Nimmo.

Edited by raBBit

20 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I wouldn't.

Grandal should be priority #1 going into the offseason no ifs and buts about it. McCann's performance has been great in 2019 and the Sox masquerade Collins as a catcher - neither of these things factor into the fact that the Sox should target Grandal.

I think we need a versatile infielder with a track record of success. I would like Scooter Gennet or Howie Kendrick (love his game, leadership) but I kind of think the Sox will continue to use Yolmer as they tend to do.

Past that, I think they ultimately combat some of the 40 man roster issues by trading a group of players for a right fielder. Mets make sense if they're willing to move on from one of Conforto/Nimmo.

Conforto would be so perfect, seems like a pipe dream though

Edited by mqr

5 hours ago, Whitesox27 said:

Anyone else think Alex Wood might be a nice fit? He's been injured all year but he's solid when healthy. And he's also left handed and would cost a fraction of what Cole will get.

Wood is fine, but given the youth of our staff and the boatload of money we’re sitting on, we need to aim higher if we only plan to add one starter.  If we want to add two and buy Kopech some time in AAA, then I’m all for Wood too.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Wood is fine, but given the youth of our staff and the boatload of money we’re sitting on, we need to aim higher if we only plan to add one starter.  If we want to add two and buy Kopech some time in AAA, then I’m all for Wood too.

If he has a decent 2nd half I think Keuchel really could be a good matchup. Since we have an all-righty rotation otherwise, he does give some balance, playoff veteran, no draft pick attached, and you could probably get away with a 2-3 year deal after the offseason here. Plus you don't have to worry about Bumgarner coming in and lecturing Tim Anderson about bat flips.

5 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Not realistic at all.

Spot on man.  That being said, I do think Cole & Rendon won’t happen.  Anyone after them I think is fair game though.  Either way, the team is going to spend some serious money this offseason regardless of how badly we botched the Machado deal.

5 hours ago, raBBit said:

Didn’t we offer $100M+ for Tanaka?  I agree that Cole is a pipe dream, but I think Wheeler is a realistic get as I don’t think he gets more than four or five years max.

5 hours ago, SoxAce said:

We don’t have the assets to trade for a top of the rotation arm.  Wood is a fine pitcher when healthy, but if he’s the big addition you’re putting a ton of stress on your offense & bullpen to deliver and basically writing off any chance at a World Series run next year as the rotation simply won’t be postseason ready.