Future White Sox Lineup #GetExcited

JUSTgottaBELIEVE

13 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Puig has a bad rep no doubt but those go back a while to his early Dodger days. Can anyone cite any more recent examples of boneheaded behavior by him ? It's not that I want him at all I'm just trying to get a clearer picture because so often here the reputations get misrepresented here based on events that might not be so recent.

Well, in April he was hit by a pitch and tried to fight the entire Pirates team.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/yasiel-puig-tries-to-singe-handedly-fight-entire-pittsburgh-pirates-organization

Then later in the year he started a brawl with the Cubs.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gKBo80dqCB4

Then the day he was traded, he got involved in another brawl with the Pirates.

https://nypost.com/2019/07/30/yasiel-puig-involved-in-reds-pirates-fight-after-being-traded/

On the other hand, he has been quite good for Cleveland and isn’t causing problems, so who knows?  I wouldn’t sign him, but that’s just me.

Edited by Timmy U

10 hours ago, Timmy U said:

Well, in April he was hit by a pitch and tried to fight the entire Pirates team.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/yasiel-puig-tries-to-singe-handedly-fight-entire-pittsburgh-pirates-organization

Then later in the year he started a brawl with the Cubs.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gKBo80dqCB4

Then the day he was traded, he got involved in another brawl with the Pirates.

https://nypost.com/2019/07/30/yasiel-puig-involved-in-reds-pirates-fight-after-being-traded/

On the other hand, he has been quite good for Cleveland and isn’t causing problems, so who knows?  I wouldn’t sign him, but that’s just me.

Thanks. I'm not so concerned with brawls. That's not necessarily a bad thing when you believe you are sticking up for team mates. On the field stuff is acceptable in that regard. It's the disruptive stuff that didn't endear him to his Dodgers teammate that I'm more concerned about.

That book by Molly Knight 4/5 years ago called  "The Best Team Money Can Buy" said a lot of bad things about him but it's possible he's matured some.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/new-book-outlines-problems-between-yasiel-puig-teammates/

https://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/la-sp-yasiel-puig-dodgers-legacy-reds-20190414-story.html

5 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

The NY Mets PITCHERS had a better slash line than our DH this year.  Not that suprising but criminally hilarious.

And the good news is that 3 of those spots should be addressed internally next season (Robert, Collins, Madrigal). Hopefully the front office addresses another 1 or 2 externally via free agency.

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

And the good news is that 3 of those spots should be addressed internally next season (Robert, Collins, Madrigal). Hopefully the front office addresses another 1 or 2 externally via free agency.

Is Eloy another one of those guys? Hopefully he takes a Moncada like jump next year.

Just for fun - mainly because I am bored at work today - I am going to put together an off-season plan that doesn't include any mega contacts or trades and see how things shake out.

Sign Zack Wheeler - 4 years / $70M

Sign Yasmani Grandal - 3 years/ $55M + $17M club option

Sign Dellin Betances - 4 years / $48M

Re-sign Jose Abreu - 2 years/ $20M + $10M club option

Sign Alex Gordon - 1 year / $9M

Sign Alex Wood - 1 year / $8M

Sign Scooter Gennett - 1 year / $5M

Adds ~$80M to next year's payroll, which should bring the total up to ~$125M or still below league average.

2020 Opening Day Lineup / Roster:

Leury Garcia CF, Tim Anderson SS, Yoan Moncada 3B, Jose Abreu 1B, Eloy Jimenez LF, Yasmani Grandal DH, Alex Gordon RF, James McCann C, Scooter Gennett 2B

Rotation: Giolito, Wheeler, Cease, Lopez and Wood

Bullpen: Betances, Colome, Bummer, Fry, Herrera, Marshall, Cordero, one of Ruiz/Frare/Hamilton/Vieira/Burdi

BN: Collins, Goins, Engel/Cordell

Lineup / Roster by ~June 1:

Luis Robert CF, Tim Anderson SS, Yoan Moncada 3B, Jose Abreu 1B, Eloy Jimenez LF, Yasmani Grandal DH, Alex Gordon RF, James McCann C, Nick Madrigal 2B

Rotation: Giolito, Wheeler, Cease, Lopez and Kopech (with Rodon arriving soon)

Bullpen: Betances, Colome, Bummer, Fry, Herrera, Wood, Cordero, one of Marshall/Ruiz/Frare/Hamilton/Vieira/Burdi

BN: Leury, Collins, Gennett

LETS PLAY.  I would definitely go to battle with this team.  Limits long term commitments.  Only slightly bests Abreu's $68M contact as the largest the Sox have given out.  For those that don't see the Sox adding a major FA - I get it - but this wouldn't be an awful way for things to shake out.  I'd obviously prefer Cole to Wheeler, but understand that 7/$225M+ is going to be quite steep.  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Just for fun - mainly because I am bored at work today - I am going to put together an off-season plan that doesn't include any mega contacts or trades and see how things shake out.

Adds ~$80M to next year's payroll, which should bring the total up to ~$125M or still below league average.

Leury Garcia CF, Tim Anderson SS, Yoan Moncada 3B, Jose Abreu 1B, Eloy Jimenez LF, Yasmani Grandal DH, Alex Gordon RF, James McCann C, Scooter Gennett 2B

Bullpen: Betances, Colome, Bummer, Fry, Herrera, Marshall, Cordero, one of Ruiz/Frare/Hamilton/Vieira/Burdi

Luis Robert CF, Tim Anderson SS, Yoan Moncada 3B, Jose Abreu 1B, Eloy Jimenez LF, Yasmani Grandal DH, Alex Gordon RF, James McCann C, Nick Madrigal 2B

Bullpen: Betances, Colome, Bummer, Fry, Herrera, Wood, Cordero, one of Marshall/Ruiz/Frare/Hamilton/Vieira/Burdi

LETS PLAY.  I would definitely go to battle with this team.  Limits long term commitments.  Only slightly bests Abreu's $68M contact as the largest the Sox have given out.  For those that don't see the Sox adding a major FA - I get it - but this wouldn't be an awful way for things to shake out.  I'd obviously prefer Cole to Wheeler, but understand that 7/$225M+ is going to be quite steep.  

I'm not sure I see Betances getting that contract, mainly because he hasn't even taken the mound this year (majors or minors). But I'd definitely want him.

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

I'm not sure I see Betances getting that contract, mainly because he hasn't even taken the mound this year (majors or minors). But I'd definitely want him.

Yah...if anything, tried to overshoot my estimates a bit.  I think 3/$30M could maybe even get it done for Betances  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah...if anything, tried to overshoot my estimates a bit.  I think 3/$30M could maybe even get it done for Betances  

My only other issue is signing Grandal to DH. If you're signing someone strictly to DH, you can probably just go with someone else who is cheaper. Or just go with Collins and grab a defensive first backup catcher for the bench and carry 3 catchers (your bench/roster overall is one guy short with teams expanding to 26).

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

My only other issue is signing Grandal to DH. If you're signing someone strictly to DH, you can probably just go with someone else who is cheaper. Or just go with Collins and grab a defensive first backup catcher for the bench and carry 3 catchers (your bench/roster overall is one guy short with teams expanding to 26).

Yah, not really signing him to DH.  Him and McCann split catching duties.  Get Collins in there once or twice a week.  Collins DHs against RHP, Grandal catches.  McCann sits against tough righties, etc.  I think a three-way catching/DH/occasional 1b tandem with those three works pretty well.  

Also, there really aren't many great DH options, especially lefties.  Justin Smoak is one of the better fits....and....gross.  

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I love what you have done.  Was considering doing something with the same format but was much to lazy.  It serves as a baseline for what can be done and if posters have a better idea they can suggest an alternative player and associated cost.  Hope that posters make suggestions to improve your thoughts rather than take pot shots as many like to do.  Good job!

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Great, sign him for $5M then.  Doesn't change anything.  

Sox should release Yolmer and have Leury start the year at second. Spend what it takes to get the best 2 year solution in RF. Skip Grandal and

spend the rest on Pitching.

18 minutes ago, zisk said:

Sox should release Yolmer and have Leury start the year at second. Spend what it takes to get the best 2 year solution in RF. Skip Grandal and

spend the rest on Pitching.

Leury will be playing CF until Robert, and mostly likely Madrigal, arrive in late April. 

On 8/25/2019 at 11:09 AM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Puig has a bad rep no doubt but those go back a while to his early Dodger days. Can anyone cite any more recent examples of boneheaded behavior by him ? It's not that I want him at all I'm just trying to get a clearer picture because so often here the reputations get misrepresented here based on events that might not be so recent.

He dyed his hair pink.,

On 8/28/2019 at 2:57 PM, ChiSox59 said:

Yah, not really signing him to DH.  Him and McCann split catching duties.  Get Collins in there once or twice a week.  Collins DHs against RHP, Grandal catches.  McCann sits against tough righties, etc.  I think a three-way catching/DH/occasional 1b tandem with those three works pretty well.  

Also, there really aren't many great DH options, especially lefties.  Justin Smoak is one of the better fits....and....gross.  

We agreed previously on Grandal. The guy tends to die down the stretch. But I think there would be a problem dropping him into a 3 way rotation.  If you can drop him to 120ish that might work. Otherwise I would pass on him and maybe trade  for a LH IB/DH type. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, poppysox said:

That would be giving up on Eloy way to soon IMO.

If it was done for a year only, not really. Can still get him into the OF a couple times a week and he can still work on fielding on the side in practice.

But yeah, they should probably play Eloy in LF next year.

Edited by soxfan2014