4/19 White Sox @ Tigers | 6:10 PM CT | Rodon v Zimmerman

Jose Abreu

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

Is it just me or is this team really likable (off the field), more so than in prior seasons? I feel like there aren't really any bad apples 

They are nice to root for however their language can be dicey 😁

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

Is it just me or is this team really likable (off the field), more so than in prior seasons? I feel like there aren't really any bad apples 

The Sox are pretty good about only bringing in high character guys generally it seems. I’m not sure this year is different than years past

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

DH Eloy tomorrow and let Rondon, Cordell and Garcia play the outfield 

This is so dumb and dramatic. He’s not going to die, he’s not going to break, he is dramatically more valuable if he can improve in the outfield so get a grip. This year doesn’t matter.

• Love 2

1 minute ago, bmags said:

This is so dumb and dramatic. He’s not going to die, he’s not going to break, he is dramatically more valuable if he can improve in the outfield so get a grip. This year doesn’t matter.

Wasn’t saying it’s permanent move for THIS season. Rather just give him a breather with a LHP on the mound and let him focus a game or two on his swing. Right now he looks like someone who is scared to death of having a ball hit towards him.

Just now, fathom said:

Wasn’t saying it’s permanent move for THIS season. Rather just give him a breather with a LHP on the mound and let him focus a game or two on his swing. Right now he looks like someone who is scared to death of having a ball hit towards him.

Which means he needs reps! He’s playing in freezing rain in northern stadiums for first time ever, he has bad instincts and reads. He won’t get better sitting. And the Sox HAVE to throw everything at trying to make him better.

15 minutes ago, bmags said:

Which means he needs reps! He’s playing in freezing rain in northern stadiums for first time ever, he has bad instincts and reads. He won’t get better sitting. And the Sox HAVE to throw everything at trying to make him better.

I was on the side of just put the glove away, but I see this point. A 1 game away from the field may help reset his mindset but I agree he needs reps. 

It makes sense now why when I saw him on Monday every catch he was making in the OF he was making exaggerated two-handed catches. I think you are right he isn’t reading the ball well at all. 

I live in Michigan and blacken out of MLB for Detroit games.  Watched the game on local TV and the post game guys were talking up how good the White Sox are already.  One guy strongly claiming the Sox would give Indians and Twins a run for it before this year was over.  Claimed only the starting pitching looked dicey.  Nice to hear even if hard to believe.  Good game.

34 minutes ago, bmags said:

So I guess the whole "he needs more time in the minors to work on his defense" wasn't  BS from Hahn.

54 minutes ago, ptatc said:

So I guess the whole "he needs more time in the minors to work on his defense" wasn't  BS from Hahn.

Wow, you care far too much about an awful GM’s BS comments.  If you seriously think that Eloy’s defense is the reason over an extra year of control on him for a cheap ass team prior to locking him up long-term, there is no hope for you.

This is a team that started the season with freaking Daniel “I Wear My Glove On My Head” Palka as their starting right fielder but they were worried about Eloy’s defense in left field?  Do you really buy the BS you are trying to sell?  It’s always about the bottom dollar with this team.

Were you not paying attention to the clown show of comments from Kenny and Hahn regarding the Machado pursuit the entire offseason?  Every move they made and every word they uttered was the wrong one and portrayed them as absolute morons.

I seem to remember you saying that you would shred Hahn and the Sox front office for not signing Machado for $300 million, if they could.  Well, I guess that never happened and you are back to defending our terrible front office.  

Oh wait, it’s not Rick’s fault.  He’s great and Reinsdorf wouldn’t let him sign Machado at that price.  Meanwhile, Rick traded away a player who looks like the next Machado for a washed-up starting pitcher that provided the Sox with a 5.31 ERA in 67 starts.

Are you by chance related to Rick in some way?

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Harper2Sox said:

Wow, you care far too much about an awful GM’s BS comments.  If you seriously think that Eloy’s defense is the reason over an extra year of control on him for a cheap ass team prior to locking him up long-term, there is no hope for you.

This is a team that started the season with freaking Daniel “I Wear My Glove On My Head” Palka as their starting right fielder but they were worried about Eloy’s defense in left field?  Do you really buy the BS you are trying to sell?  It’s always about the bottom dollar with this team.

Were you not paying attention to the clown show of comments from Kenny and Hahn regarding the Machado pursuit the entire offseason?  Every move they made and every word they uttered was the wrong one and portrayed them as absolute morons.

I seem to remember you saying that you would shred Hahn and the Sox front office for not signing Machado for $300 million, if they could.  Well, I guess that never happened and you are back to defending our terrible front office.  

Oh wait, it’s not Rick’s fault.  He’s great and Reinsdorf wouldn’t let him sign Machado at that price.  Meanwhile, Rick traded away a player who looks like the next Machado for a washed-up starting pitcher that provided the Sox with a 5.31 ERA in 67 starts.

Are you by chance related to Rick in some way?

It was a joke. Lighten up Francis.

6 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It was a joke. Lighten up Francis.

Yeah, sure.  You meant your ridiculous comment.  Don’t portray it as sarcasm now. 

It’s a joke NOW, because you were obliterated.  Is it tough to work while you are carrying around Rick’s jockstrap all day?  😂

Edited by Harper2Sox

Just now, Harper2Sox said:

Yeah, sure.  It’s a joke now that you were obliterated.

By what? Someone overly sensitive to constantly bash and berate the front office? I always stated that they should have brought him up earlier because he would have benefitted from learning at the MLB level last year. I argued consistently that they kept him down far too long.

Some people just can't get out of their own agenda to look at things objectively and take things for what their worth.

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

By what? Someone overly sensitive to constantly bash and berate the front office? I always stated that they should have brought him up earlier because he would have benefitted from learning at the MLB level last year. I argued consistently that they kept him down far too long.

Some people just can't get out of their own agenda to look at things objectively and take things for what their worth.

So whose fault is it for the Sox current situation?  is it Rick’s fault or Jerry’s fault?  Jerry won’t let Rick spend big money but who traded Tatis Jr. for a broken down starter?  They are both terrible.

1 minute ago, Harper2Sox said:

So whose fault is it for the Sox current situation?  is it Rick’s fault or Jerry’s fault?  Jerry won’t let Rick spend big money but who traded Tatis Jr. for a broken down starter?  They are both terrible.

It is all of their fault. They've all put the team into a hole they need to dig out of. I've stated all along that the current FO has this last chance to field winning team with this rebuild otherwise they all deserve to go. However, I dont try to turn every post into a vendetta and constantly push a negative agenda with every post and go crazy with it.

My post was a joke due to the fact I've always said that they kept him down to long. You went way overboard to a sarcastic comment. That's all.

7 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It is all of their fault. They've all put the team into a hole they need to dig out of. I've stated all along that the current FO has this last chance to field winning team with this rebuild otherwise they all deserve to go. However, I dont try to turn every post into a vendetta and constantly push a negative agenda with every post and go crazy with it.

My post was a joke due to the fact I've always said that they kept him down to long. You went way overboard to a sarcastic comment. That's all.

Okay, I apologize.

The f’ed up thing is that we all thought the rotation would be amazing and that the Sox weren’t trading for enough position prospects.  Now it looks like the opposite.  The lineup could potentially be amazing but we are worried about starting pitching.  Funny how things change so quickly.

Edited by Harper2Sox

7 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Okay, I apologize.

The f’ed up thing is that we all thought the rotation would be amazing and that the Sox weren’t trading for enough position prospects.  Now it looks like the opposite.  The lineup could potentially be amazing but we are worried about starting pitching.  Funny how things change so quickly.

I agree. The additions of Cease and Kopech next year should really help this team next year.

This is the catch 22. This FO has dug this hole for the team. But it is trending towards them digging the team out of it. I'm not sure how to judge them if they do field a winning team. However they should only get this year and next to prove it. Four years of a rebuild is more than ample opportunity. 

29 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I agree. The additions of Cease and Kopech next year should really help this team next year.

This is the catch 22. This FO has dug this hole for the team. But it is trending towards them digging the team out of it. I'm not sure how to judge them if they do field a winning team. However they should only get this year and next to prove it. Four years of a rebuild is more than ample opportunity. 

Also, it looks like Giolito was turning a corner before he got hurt, which sucks. Hopefully he can pick up where he left off before tweaking his hamstring. 

Lopez looked good last time out. I want to see more though. I've always been more bullish on Gio and bearish on Rey. 

7 hours ago, ptatc said:

I've stated all along that the current FO has this last chance to field winning team with this rebuild otherwise they all deserve to go.

What is a timeline for measuring the success of a rebuild?   Rebuilds are fluid.  Some take 10 years.  Personally I would measure it on the Astros-Cubs timeline:  3 years, and this is year 3.  Astros/Cubs had some luck, and the Sox had a jumpstart.  3 years falls in between the Royals/Pirates timeline (a decade - of course they were just sucking more than rebuilding during that time) or the Brewers/Rays (2 years).

14 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

What is a timeline for measuring the success of a rebuild?   Rebuilds are fluid.  Some take 10 years.  Personally I would measure it on the Astros-Cubs timeline:  3 years, and this is year 3.  Astros/Cubs had some luck, and the Sox had a jumpstart.  3 years falls in between the Royals/Pirates timeline (a decade - of course they were just sucking more than rebuilding during that time) or the Brewers/Rays (2 years).

It somewhat difficult to tell when the Cubs and Astros truly started the rebuilds but each team lost about 90 for 5 years before they had a winning record. 

In my opinion it takes about 4 years for drafted prospects to make it through the minors. It varies but is the timeline for good ones. This FO should have gotten a good jump on the rebuild with trades. So my timeline is being competitive within 4 years, which puts it next year. I know its arbitrary but that is what I would give them.