Bring Back Gio pt Deux?Update: Signed by Brewcrew

bmags

Just now, daggins said:

I'd be for dropping Santana for Gio. I'm not sure if either is an effective starter at this point but I have more faith in the latter than the former.

Gio Gonzalez last had an effective month 6 months ago. Ervin Santana was last effective in 2017. I'm taking Gio every time

Just now, daggins said:

I'd be for dropping Santana for Gio. I'm not sure if either is an effective starter at this point but I have more faith in the latter than the former.

And he's a lefty. Ricky will be so relieved.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Hypothetically if Santana were dropped for Gio...we'd literally have spent more than $1 million per start on Santana, wouldn't we?

From your tone I feel like you are implying we didn't get our money's worth.

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Hypothetically if Santana were dropped for Gio...we'd literally have spent more than $1 million per start on Santana, wouldn't we?

Yeah but i'd rather they eat the sunk cost and save us from seeing ~25 more Santana starts

On 4/19/2019 at 9:59 AM, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

No thanks. Pass.

Gio Gonzalez is every bit as finished as Santana. At least Santana got it done two years ago in the AL. 

This fangraphs article thinks otherwise, Although he's in decline most projection systems think he will be a 2.0 WAR pitcher and the fangraphs article also thinks he is not finished citing various Statcast data. https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-yankees-sign-gio-gonzalez-for-minimal-risk-money/

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
link to fangraphs article

For anyone interested how he's been doing in AAA since the Yankees signed him I'll give you some details although they have to be consider like spring training for him .

3 games started, 15 innings, 6.00 ERA, 19 K, 6 BB, 1.67 WHIP, 1 HR

At the end of last year with the Brewers in 5 starts he had a 2.13 ERA and 0.95 WHIP but didn't last long in the playoffs with the Brewers pulling him very early in 2 games . Only 3 Innings pitched, 2 runs given up.

16 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I thought his contract was only guaranteed when he was placed on the 40-man? Giving them a reason not to do it. Or am I wrong here?

You're right.  He is not going to be "free".  He is free to sign with the highest bidder, or whomever he likes.  He did not sign a guaranteed contract whereby he can now only get the MLB min. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

You're right.  He is not going to be "free".  He is free to sign with the highest bidder, or whomever he likes.  He did not sign a guaranteed contract whereby he can now only get the MLB min. 

This is what I meant

What is the point in spending money on Gio though?  We've got Rodon, Lopez, Giolito who all need their 30 starts.  Nova and Santana.  Banuelos if/when needed. Will need another spot for Cease in a couple months. I just don't see the need to add a veteran starter unless its literally for like $1M, or someone gets injured soon.  Let the younger guys get their innings. 

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

What is the point in spending money on Gio though?  We've got Rodon, Lopez, Giolito who all need their 30 starts.  Nova and Santana.  Banuelos if/when needed. Will need another spot for Cease in a couple months. I just don't see the need to add a veteran starter unless its literally for like $1M, or someone gets injured soon.  Let the younger guys get their innings. 

Yeah there really isn't room. Unless he takes another minor league deal with another opt-out date a few weeks after he signs.

1 hour ago, soxfan2014 said:

Yeah there really isn't room. Unless he takes another minor league deal with another opt-out date a few weeks after he signs.

There has to be someone who wanted to be competitive who has lost a couple of starters already right?