Tim Anderson to be suspended 1 game for... language?

Jose Abreu

5 minutes ago, mqr said:

Regardless what you think about the use of the word, It shouldn't be up to the MLB to dictate whether or not it is okay for Tim to use the word. Not if they're going to allow other forms of swearing. 

Who should it be up to if not MLB? I believe it is reasonable to have a few words that are absolutely off limits. There are easily understood differences between Damn it, fuck it, and the n word (plus a couple more). And the rule would have to be applied consistently, no matter who says it. Not all swearing is equal. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Texsox said:

Who should it be up to if not MLB? I believe it is reasonable to have a few words that are absolutely off limits. There are easily understood differences between Damn it, fuck it, and the n word (plus a couple more). And the rule would have to be applied consistently, no matter who says it. Not all swearing is equal. 

And this instance is a terrible time and place to decide that. I don't think I need to spell the optics of this out to you. 

I'm of the general belief that MLB is a very well run league that makes a ton of money relative to the size of its fanbase and has done a great job of modernizing their media presence, etc. So as far as I'm concerned  I don't see it as part of a narrative of terrible management, but they've really bungled this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

Well yea, and context here is critical, TA using AA vernacular to call a white guy a "n_gga" is the height of over-reaction.

1 minute ago, Jake said:

I'm of the general belief that MLB is a very well run league that makes a ton of money relative to the size of its fanbase and has done a great job of modernizing their media presence, etc. So as far as I'm concerned  I don't see it as part of a narrative of terrible management, but they've really bungled this.

Stagnated growth of your customer base is absolutely a sign of shit management. They are quite good at treading water with things like MLBAM, though.

The NFL a couple years ago decided to make it a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty when players said the N word (I think it is presumed that if white or other non-black players say it, the eventual penalties would be more severe) and suspensions were possible for repeat offenders. They rolled out this policy in coordination with and with advice from black executives and players. MLB had to come up with a punishment on the spot for this and I just don't like the optics of suspending Tim when he'd already been booted from the game. This is all in the context of a situation instigated by a pitcher trying to hurt him.

1 minute ago, Jake said:

The NFL a couple years ago decided to make it a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty when players said the N word (I think it is presumed that if white or other non-black players say it, the eventual penalties would be more severe) and suspensions were possible for repeat offenders. They rolled out this policy in coordination with and with advice from black executives and players. MLB had to come up with a punishment on the spot for this and I just don't like the optics of suspending Tim when he'd already been booted from the game. This is all in the context of a situation instigated by a pitcher trying to hurt him.

No they didn't. It wasn't broadcasted on a hot mic as is common in the NFL, it was a thing a handful of white and hispanic people heard on the field of play, they could have just, I don't know, did nothing?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jake said:

I don't know if the players have been warned on this or not, but they in at the very least can let him know first that he can't be saying that word out on the field like that, and if it happens again, there will be consequences.

Whatever, I get it, but Keller's suspension should have been more severe. 

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

LOL, MAGA idiots on twitter trying to act like a black guy calling a white guy the word is the same as the reverse.  Litmus test for common sense and MLB failed this one.

White fragility...it's a thing

• Love 2

5 minutes ago, Texsox said:

What's the difference? 

The N-word was created to degrade and entire race of people. They decided they want to take the word back, end it with an "a" instead of "er" and use it casually. 

You know who doesnt have a right to tell a black man not to say it? A bunch of white people who have no understanding of it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

As a White Sox fan, I no longer trust Joe West to be a fair arbiter of anything on the field that involves our team. If other Sox fans feel the same way, perhaps an on-line petition should be started where Sox fans can request  the Commissioner to bar mean Joe  West from umpiring any game involving the White Sox in the future.  It would be better if this guy retires or leaves under other circumstances, but I for one am sick of that mofo fat cracker.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What's the difference? 

The N-word was created to degrade and entire race of people. They decided they want to take the word back, end it with an "a" instead of "er" and use it casually. 

You know who doesnt have a right to tell a black man not to say it? A bunch of white people who have no understanding of it.

Ding ding ding. Yup.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kalapse said:

No they didn't. It wasn't broadcasted on a hot mic as is common in the NFL, it was a thing a handful of white and hispanic people heard on the field of play, they could have just, I don't know, did nothing?

Exactly.  The NFL was concerned about protecting the shield and their largely red neck ass fanbase getting offended.  It was for optics.  This had nothing to with optics for MLB, which, ha, I guess they are finding out.