Tim Anderson to be suspended 1 game for... language?

Jose Abreu

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Well you seemed to miss the point and I dont expect you to understand... but black people are "taking the word back" after a century+ of people using it to dehumanize them. They are taking it back, making it a part of their culture, and limiting the power of the word that way. 

You said you got offended by cracker so I dropped it... but for you to sit here and say how offended you are by that word is comical with the current stance your taking. If you think the use of cracker was heinous and hurtful what do you think the n word was? There weren't a lot of white people hanging from trees with cracker carved into their chest, were there? Were there a lot of bathrooms and drinking fountains In the 60's with no crackers allowed on it?

You have no right to tell a black man how to use a word that was created to dehumanize them. Just as I have no right to tell you that cracker shouldnt offend you. I respected your wishes but you cant respect others.

I think it's fine to for MLB to disallow it, but they need to be clear on it and set boundaries. But to set a precedent like this against a black player, on Jackie Robinson week, and over an incident where said player was wrongfully ejected for basically doing nothing wrong just looks so bad it's mind-numbing. 

• Like 3

Just now, Kyyle23 said:

I have zero doubt that they used this weak ass reasoning in order to make West look better 

Oh I have zero doubt.  Also they said "after talking to members of the Royals and White Sox"...just who in the hell on the Sox was going to rat Tim out or say this?  This is fabricated crap to cover West's fat ass.

Just now, chw42 said:

I think it's fine to for MLB to disallow it, but they need to be clear on it and set boundaries. But to set a precedent like this against a black player, on Jackie Robinson week, and over an incident where said player was wrongfully ejected for basically doing nothing wrong just looks so bad it's mind-numbing. 

If they disallow the use of that word by a black person then they should disallow a lot of other words - at that point I'd be fine with it. But this is no different than saying fuck you, cock sucker or anything of that sort.

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

I have zero doubt that they used this weak ass reasoning in order to make West look better 

I don't dismiss this but why exactly do they bend over backwards to defend him? This was actually working out as a net positive for the league, Joe West as a villain seems fine? I know he's long tenured and probably respected internally for some reason but no one really gives a shit about umpires at the end of the day.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Well you seemed to miss the point and I dont expect you to understand... but black people are "taking the word back" after a century+ of people using it to dehumanize them. They are taking it back, making it a part of their culture, and limiting the power of the word that way. 

You said you got offended by cracker so I dropped it... but for you to sit here and say how offended you are by that word is comical with the current stance your taking. If you think the use of cracker was heinous and hurtful what do you think the n word was? There weren't a lot of white people hanging from trees with cracker carved into their chest, were there? Were there a lot of bathrooms and drinking fountains In the 60's with no crackers allowed on it?

You have no right to tell a black man how to use a word that was created to dehumanize them. Just as I have no right to tell you that cracker shouldnt offend you. I respected your wishes but you cant respect others.

Where did I say I was offended by cracker? I'm not. I'm not certain what I wrote that caused you to believe that. 

Allow me to try to clarify my point. There is a difference between social norms and workplace rules that carry consequences. Written rules become far more exact and difficult to write. I'm going to assume that we agree that there are some groups of people who should not use that word ever. I will further assume that if you were an employer and those people using that word hurt your business you would want to stop them from using that word at work. Now in writing the new rule do you 

A, Stop all people from using the word

or

B. Make a list of who can, and who can't use the word?

4 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Bingo.  They could have easily won the day here by releasing a statement like this:

"It's come to our attention that during an emotional moment Tim Anderson used language that we would like to see removed from the playing field.  That said we respect the cultural nuances of his words and the passion he plays with.  We are forming a committee to inform our policy going forward and no further disciplinary action will be taken at this time".

Anybody need a PR flack?  I'm bored at my current job.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

If they disallow the use of that word by a black person then they should disallow a lot of other words - at that point I'd be fine with it. But this is no different than saying fuck you, cock sucker or anything of that sort.

I guess I was thinking about something like this in the case where somebody would say it in a work environment. If I said anything racially derogatory at work, I'd probably get a call from HR regardless of my race. Whether or not they do anything about is another thing. But come to think of it, if I told someone to go fuck themselves, I'd definitely get punished by HR. Whereas Kyle Schwarber (the most recent example of this) got no added punishment from MLB. 

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

And just having a total lack of understanding of what other people in your organization are trying to accomplish. You can tell the Park Ave. building has no idea what's going on with their employees, or baseball in general. 

Departments and levels of management with differing goals competing against one another, the sign of a healthy business.

10 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Where did I say I was offended by cracker? I'm not. I'm not certain what I wrote that caused you to believe that. 

Allow me to try to clarify my point. There is a difference between social norms and workplace rules that carry consequences. Written rules become far more exact and difficult to write. I'm going to assume that we agree that there are some groups of people who should not use that word ever. I will further assume that if you were an employer and those people using that word hurt your business you would want to stop them from using that word at work. Now in writing the new rule do you 

A, Stop all people from using the word

or

B. Make a list of who can, and who can't use the word?

People need to stop comparing regular work places to professional sports. 

Shirley worked for another company, and shirley and I were bidding for a big contract. We were in the conference room awaiting the decision. Bob comes out and tells us that Shirley's company has won the bid and the contract is hers. Shirley turns around and high fives Susan and Kyle, screams let's go and slams her laptop shut...

Well shit.. I'm pissed. Why would shirley show me up like that. I pick up my laptop and throw it at Shirley. Haha! It hits her fat stomach as she stands up. Shirley yells "what the fuck, you mother fucking cock sucker!"

Bob runs into the room, asks what happens.. I told Bob she had no conference room etiquette. Bob called the police - I was arrested, lost my job and shirley was promoted. 

You see? Throwing a baseball at someone is really dumb, but I'm not going to jail because baseball isnt a normal work place.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Bingo.  They could have easily won the day here by releasing a statement like this:

"It's come to our attention that during an emotional moment Tim Anderson used language that we would like to see removed from the playing field.  That said we respect the cultural nuances of his words and the passion he plays with.  We are forming a committee to inform our policy going forward and no further disciplinary action will be taken at this time".

Exactly right.

Now write a policy that covers this. 

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

"It's come to our attention that during an emotional moment Tim Anderson used language that we would like to see removed from the playing field.  That said we respect the cultural nuances of his words and passion he plays with.  We are forming a committee to inform our policy going forward and no further disciplinary action will be taken at this time".

Why are you even bringing attention to it? Is Joe West or Maldanado gonna go to the media with this bombshell? This isn't anything anyone knew about, you're not winning the day by creating a fictional bad language committee out of no where, no one is back slapping them for that other than themselves. Just ignore it. Promoting Anderson on Twitter was soooo damn good then they shot themselves in the damn face.

• Like 1

Just now, Kalapse said:

Why are you even bringing attention to it? Is Joe West or Maldanado gonna go to the media with this bombshell? This isn't anything anyone knew about, you're not winning the day by creating a fictional bad language committee out of no where, no one is back slapping them for that other than themselves. Just ignore it. Promoting Anderson on Twitter was soooo damn good then they shot themselves in the damn face.

That would have been fine as well.  When in doubt, sometimes the best thing to do is just nothing.  Inaction is not inherently bad.  But they've managed to do this in the worst way possible, and again is anybody surprised?

4 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Exactly right.

Now write a policy that covers this. 

I'm calling up Ken Griffey Jr, Frank, Greg Maddox, Ozzie and Jackie's grandkids as we speak.  We are forming a blue ribbon panel!  It's going to make the Seattle City council's famous "environmental review" process look like a Jimmy John's delivery.  We'll deliver our recommendation in 2025.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kalapse said:

I don't dismiss this but why exactly do they bend over backwards to defend him? This was actually working out as a net positive for the league, Joe West as a villain seems fine? I know he's long tenured and probably respected internally for some reason but no one really gives a shit about umpires at the end of the day.

I think it's better to cover for him than to admit he fucked up, because disciplining an ump is probably a negotiating nightmare for them