Tim Anderson to be suspended 1 game for... language?

Jose Abreu

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

I think it's better to cover for him than to admit he fucked up, because disciplining an ump is probably a negotiating nightmare for them

You can only imagine how many fans go to the park to see Joe West.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

People need to stop comparing regular work places to professional sports. 

Shirley worked for another company, and shirley and I were bidding for a big contract. We were in the conference room awaiting the decision. Bob comes out and tells us that Shirley's company has won the bid and the contract is theres. Shirley turns around and high fives Susan and Kyle, screams let's go and slams her laptop shut...

Well shit.. I'm pissed. Why would shirley show me up like that. I pick up my laptop and throw it at Shirley. Haha! It hits her fat stomach as she stands up. Shirley yells "what the fuck, you mother fucking cock sucker!"

Bob runs into the room, asks what happens.. I told Bob she had no conference room etiquette. Bob called the police - I was arrested, lost my job and shirley was promoted. 

You see? Throwing a baseball at someone is really dumb, but I'm not going to jail because baseball isnt a normal work place.

It's very much NOT a regular workplace. I don't believe I ever said it was. You continue to put words in my mouth which I have not said. How many business have their customers watching their every move? Customer relations becomes a huge deal. That meeting in the conference room isn't televised. People will not be endlessly reconstructing what happened. So you are exactly right, it isn't a regular workplace. 

What it does share are workplace rules. In fact baseball has a couple sets of rules. Way more than a regular business. 

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I think it's better to cover for him than to admit he fucked up, because disciplining an ump is probably a negotiating nightmare for them

MLB has less control over their officials than any other major sport and it's a problem.  I'm a union guy for the most part but the Ump's union is too strong and has been for all of my baseball watching life.  It's not the umpires' sport and sometimes you get the impression they think it is.

Ken Rosenthal referred to this as L'Affaire Anderson in his column for The Athletic, referencing L'affaire Jake Powell.

Copying from Wikipedia, because the academic articles are behind a paywall.

"During a dugout interview in a July 1938 game versus the Chicago White Sox at Comiskey Park, Powell was asked by WGN radio announcer Bob Elson how he stayed in shape during the offseason; Powell, who claimed to be a policeman in his hometown of Dayton, Ohio, (but in reality had only applied without being hired) replied that he kept in shape by "cracking n***** over the head with my blackjack." He was subsequently suspended for 10 days by Commissioner Kenesaw Mountain Landis, for making "an uncomplimentary reference to a portion of the population."[1] He was later ordered by the Yankees to walk through Harlem as an act of apology, accompanied by noted Black aviator Hubert Julian.[1]Powell was later accused of purposefully colliding with Jewish star Hank Greenberg, costing Greenberg his season after only 12 games with a broken wrist.[2]"

Ever since Ian Kinsler's moronic comments during the World Baseball Classic, the unwritten rules have had a vague connotation around them as a race thing. Now thanks to this suspension, especially in light of Schwarber's tirade not warranting a suspension, I have a feeling they're going to be put firmly in the national spotlight as such, whether they are or not.*

*I'm not passing judgement on them as such, this is just what I feel the coming debate will be.

6 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

But couldn't they have just not suspended him, and just said umps have discretion to get control of the game? 

(sincerely asking, as I don't know if there is some tied suspension to being thrown out)

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

And you wonder why there's not a lot of African Americans in pro baseball. This kind of just adds to it. 

I don't wonder why .Football and basketball are more popular . Back in the 1960's MLB had great African American players, then football and basketball took all the great athletes away from baseball.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Despite the newsworthiness and guessing, let's please not throw around racial epithets in this thread.

I love how the admins here at Soxtalk have the knowledge to warn someone before suspending them for language...but this type of level headedness is too much for MLB to grasp.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Texsox said:

It's very much NOT a regular workplace. I don't believe I ever said it was. You continue to put words in my mouth which I have not said. How many business have their customers watching their every move? Customer relations becomes a huge deal. That meeting in the conference room isn't televised. People will not be endlessly reconstructing what happened. So you are exactly right, it isn't a regular workplace. 

What it does share are workplace rules. In fact baseball has a couple sets of rules. Way more than a regular business. 

What are they reconstructing here? No one heard anything. Hell, no MLB players even spoke to investigators? So it's one guy, Joe west, saying this. I'm not sure what customers are going to be reconstructing constantly? 

There are a lot of bad things said on a baseball field. Just as there are in other sports. Competition kind of breeds that in some.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don't wonder why .Football and basketball are more popular . Back in the 1960's MLB had great African American players, then football and basketball took all the great athletes away from baseball.

What I've read is the lack of fields to play on. Across America baseball fields are being replaced by soccer or just never built. In the cities, basketball courts take up less space and are easier to maintain than baseball fields. Football benefits from being an almost made for TV sport. As baseball's popularity has fallen, so to has American players. 

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

What I've read is the lack of fields to play on. Across America baseball fields are being replaced by soccer or just never built. In the cities, basketball courts take up less space and are easier to maintain than baseball fields. Football benefits from being an almost made for TV sport. As baseball's popularity has fallen, so to has American players. 

If only MLB had an up and coming young African American shortstop who plays with a love of the game and is a great member of the community at large that they could use to market to the youth.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Love 3

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

But couldn't they have just not suspended him, and just said umps have discretion to get control of the game? 

(sincerely asking, as I don't know if there is some tied suspension to being thrown out)

I can't even begin to make sense of any of it.  All I know is Joe West was front and center and nobody can believe what the hell just happened

17 minutes ago, Quin said:

Ken Rosenthal referred to this as L'Affaire Anderson in his column for The Athletic, referencing L'affaire Jake Powell.

Copying from Wikipedia, because the academic articles are behind a paywall.

Ever since Ian Kinsler's moronic comments during the World Baseball Classic, the unwritten rules have had a vague connotation around them as a race thing. Now thanks to this suspension, especially in light of Schwarber's tirade not warranting a suspension, I have a feeling they're going to be put firmly in the national spotlight as such, whether they are or not.*

*I'm not passing judgement on them as such, this is just what I feel the coming debate will be.

The Unwritten Rules have always had some sort of vague racial aspect to them

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What are they reconstructing here? No one heard anything. Hell, no MLB players even spoke to investigators? So it's one guy, Joe west, saying this. I'm not sure what customers are going to be reconstructing constantly? 

There are a lot of bad things said on a baseball field. Just as there are in other sports. Competition kind of breeds that in some.

I was agreeing with you that MLB is not a regular workplace. In setting policy for MLB there are just so many differences that need to be factored in. If after you threw your laptop at Shirley and your boss disciplined you would Twitter go crazy? Would forums explode? Of course not. They aren't the same. MLB,, like all sports, are much more heavily scrutinized. 

And again I agree that a lot of bad things are said on the baseball field, as in other sports. I will add that bad things are said in all workplaces. If the employer decides that there are a few taboo topics and words and they want to write rules to limit that, they are within their rights. And as someone who has had to write policy and rules for workplaces I know first hand how difficult it is. As soon as you start being subjective and allowing some and not others it becomes unenforceable. So policy becomes objective not subjective. 

So if in fact MLB has put in a policy that certain words will result in ejection we can't have umpires deciding if a player is part of the group that is allowed to use the word, or not. Could you imagine an umpire asking a player what their race is so they can make a ruling? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Would some of you please tweet a bunch of the terrific comments, I've read here, on one of the Twitter feeds, which is getting so much attention. That could help support Tim and point out the idiocy of this whole fiasco. 

Someone tell Timmy to come on over to Soxtalk...we got his back big time...and many of us know that he is the true leader of this team...you just keep being Tim and play with the passion we love :gosox3:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Not to get too deep, but most things in America have, and still do, despite what some believe.

Don't disagree. Some are more in your face than others though.

Edited by mqr