Tim Anderson to be suspended 1 game for... language?

Jose Abreu

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

And you wonder why there's not a lot of African Americans in pro baseball. This kind of just adds to it. 

I do wonder. Why get your brains beat in playing three years of football. Makes no sense. 

22 minutes ago, wegner said:

If only MLB had an up and coming young African American shortstop who plays with a love of the game and is a great member of the community at large that they could use to market to the youth.

And perhaps spend some real money are providing fields. 

Then imagine if players would also promote. I'm willing to bet that most of the guys here who are 50+ will have stories of MLB players coming to their Little League banquets to hand out trophies. I picked up one from Don Kessinger. Could you image today a six time All-Star travelling to a small town banquet to give a short speech, sign autographs (for free) and hand out trophies? 

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

Only baseball would suspend a black man calling a white man the n word. 

Let’s be clear here, there are two versions of the n word and the one Tim used is not really considered to be racist or hateful (at least when used by African Americans).  Like, Look at Ray Ray Run calling everyone “pal” is far more inherently aggressive.  The MLB is just completely out-of-touch to suspend him over this.  There is literally nothing racist about this in the context it was used.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Then imagine if players would also promote. I'm willing to bet that most of the guys here who are 50+ will have stories of MLB players coming to their Little League banquets to hand out trophies. I picked up one from Don Kessinger. Could you image today a six time All-Star travelling to a small town banquet to give a short speech, sign autographs (for free) and hand out trophies? 

Terrific ideas.  I could not agree more. 

1 hour ago, flavum said:

He said a word that nobody should use. He got suspended a game- and rightly so. 

Yes, if Keller said it, the suspension would be longer. 

I mean, use some common sense.

No offense, but the n word (this version) is used all the time in African American communities and while originating from a racial slur this version is not used in a racial or hateful way.  I know a lot of white people don’t understand that, but it’s really not their place to make a call on what cultural norms are acceptable.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Billy Pierce was my old man's little league coach.

26 minutes ago, Texsox said:

What I've read is the lack of fields to play on. Across America baseball fields are being replaced by soccer or just never built. In the cities, basketball courts take up less space and are easier to maintain than baseball fields. Football benefits from being an almost made for TV sport. As baseball's popularity has fallen, so to has American players. 

When I was a kid in the inner city in Chicago and baseball was popular we didn't play on baseball fields . We would use a rubber ball and play on the blacktop in school yards. If we played on grass at all in was in a nearby park . Yes parks back then had baseball diamonds but they were also used for football and the parks also had basketball courts. Really in baseball all you need is a bat and ball  Don't even really need a mitt if  you use a rubber ball though we did all have mitts.  Ever play what we use to call "fast pitch" ? Just use a piece of chalk or even a piece or rock to draw a strike zone on a wall and play one on one baseball that way with a rubber ball.  Throw a pitch and if the hitter swings and misses or takes the pitch it bounces right back to the pitcher. If the hitter makes contact we had designated boundaries for fair or foul balls and areas that hits became extra base hits by how far you hit it on the fly.

We also would play wiffle ball on street corners using manhole covers as bases. You could also play catch any time any where. or the version of playing catch with a runner which we called "running bases" . Hell Field of Dreams emphasized how baseball passed from one generation to the next just by playing catch with your Dad. And yes I did play catch with my Dad too.

To get really good of course you played Little League and then onto high school and college ball. But seems to reason that a lot of fields where you can play  football could also be used for baseball. We also played in vacant lots . With kids, if there's a will there's a way. but with it's decline in popularity there was no longer the will to play baseball.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I said this the other day. It is very clear who the leader of this baseball team is. Abreu may have the ear of many, but the voice in there is Andersons.

Abreu was the leader Chicago deserved...Anderson is the Leader Chicago needs

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, southsideirish71 said:

Well Terry Collins called an ump a cock sucker.  I wonder what he meant by that.   

A straight man calling another straight man a cock sucker (even if they don’t mean it in that context) is far more inherently hateful than a black man calling a white person the n word.  Again, just shows how out of touch MLB really is.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

A straight man calling another straight man a cock sucker (even if they don’t mean it in that context) is far more inherently hateful than a black man calling a white person the n word.  Again, just shows how out of touch MLB really is.

This is something that never clicked with me until far more recently than I would like to admit

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

No offense, but the n word (this version) is used all the time in African American communities and while originating from a racial slur this version is not used in a racial or hateful way.  I know a lot of white people don’t understand that, but it’s really not their place to make a call on what cultural norms are acceptable.

Exactly but making that call on what is acceptable is exactly what people what umpires to do. They want the umps to judge the player and decide if culturally that player should be allowed to use the n****a word or not. 

• Thanks 1

I know blackoeople who get offended when they are called that name by another black person. I believe TA called a white guy that name. If the wihite guy called TA that name, he would be done for a long time. I think a suspension is a bit much. A fine , and perhaps an apology would do the trick. But no one should use that word when putting down an opponent. 

Thankfully it is just one game and he can appeal it and buy time to choose a day off

Edited by Dick Allen

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I know blackoeople who get offended when they are called that name by another black person. I believe TA called a white guy that name. If the wihite guy called TA that name, he would be done for a long time. I think a suspension is a bit much. A fine , and perhaps an apology would do the trick. But no one should use that word when putting down an opponent. 

Thankfully it is just one game and he can appeal it and buy time to choose a day off

he's sitting tonight, not appealing.

Here are the three scenarios

1. Everyone can use the word. I believe this would be a PR nightmare for the league. 
  2. Those groups that we all agree are culturally able to the use the word in a non racist way can, everyone else can't. Umpires will use their best judgement based on the race of the player and the situation to decide if it is OK or not. Make a call just like safe or out, ball or strike, fair or foul. 
  3. No one use the word. - Umps don't have to make a judgement call. Some players are blocked from expressing themselves in the heat of competition. 

Obviously I believe #3 is the easiest to enforce, and the best POLICY. 

And I should add, I believe this applies to being ejected from the game. Later suspensions, if warranted, would be based on all the mitigating factors. If it were me, TA would be on the field today instead of serving a suspension. Guys like Rocker would be suspended. 

Edited by Texsox

45 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

When I was a kid in the inner city in Chicago and baseball was popular we didn't play on baseball fields . We would use a rubber ball and play on the blacktop in school yards. If we played on grass at all in was in a nearby park . Yes parks back then had baseball diamonds but they were also used for football and the parks also had basketball courts. Really in baseball all you need is a bat and ball  Don't even really need a mitt if  you use a rubber ball though we did all have mitts.  Ever play what we use to call "fast pitch" ? Just use a piece of chalk or even a piece or rock to draw a strike zone on a wall and play one on one baseball that way with a rubber ball.  Throw a pitch and if the hitter swings and misses or takes the pitch it bounces right back to the pitcher. If the hitter makes contact we had designated boundaries for fair or foul balls and areas that hits became extra base hits by how far you hit it on the fly.

We also would play wiffle ball on street corners using manhole covers as bases. You could also play catch any time any where. or the version of playing catch with a runner which we called "running bases" . Hell Field of Dreams emphasized how baseball passed from one generation to the next just by playing catch with your Dad. And yes I did play catch with my Dad too.

To get really good of course you played Little League and then onto high school and college ball. But seems to reason that a lot of fields where you can play  football could also be used for baseball. We also played in vacant lots . With kids, if there's a will there's a way. but with it's decline in popularity there was no longer the will to play baseball.

CaliSox. We called it "fastpitch" and played daily at MtGreenwood School. If you called it the same thing, maybe you played against me. Kind of a coincidence we both called it "fastpitch." We also chalked up the wall of the school for strike zone and bought rubber balls (had to be a certain kind of ball to work) at the store on 107th street on the way. It could be 1 on 1 or 2 on 2; usually 1 on 1. 

Mt Greenwood had a fence that stopped all the ground balls. If you blasted it over the fence, the bike was used as transportation to go get the ball. There were some houses past the fence for rooftop shots. Nobody ever complained. If the ball happened to hit a window, it would not break the window being a rubber ball.

Our LL manager would be furious if he found out we played fastpitch or went swimming on the day of a night LL game at MtGreenwood LL fields on 115th St.

We also played wiffle and softball on street corners and also played "running bases." Neighbors were a bit testy about the softball as those would break windowns.

Hmmm, u have to be from Mt. Greenwood. Neighbors wouldnt get too mad at us tearing up their grass to slide when playing running bases.

Unlike today, parents were not involved at all and let kids stay out until dark in the summer unsupervised. Nobody got kidnapped. Nobody got killed. Protective Parents have ruined it all for kids. If we really got lucky, after LL practice our manager would give us one or two bats and two balls and let us stay and play pick up baseball on our own. Most of the time there wasn't a lot of time to get a game in before official games began at 115th fields.

As far as Timmy, i don't know. I would think he'll deny using the n word and how the hell they going to prove that??? Believe a member of the royals? Don't think so.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Here are the three scenarios

1. Everyone can use the word. I believe this would be a PR nightmare for the league. 
  2. Those groups that we all agree are culturally able to the use the word in a non racist way can, everyone else can't. Umpires will use their best judgement based on the race of the player and the situation to decide if it is OK or not. Make a call just like safe or out, ball or strike, fair or foul. 
  3. No one use the word. - Umps don't have to make a judgement call. Some players are blocked from expressing themselves in the heat of competition. 

Obviously I believe #3 is the easiest to enforce, and the best POLICY. 

And I should add, I believe this applies to being ejected from the game. Later suspensions, if warranted, would be based on all the mitigating factors. If it were me, TA would be on the field today instead of serving a suspension. Guys like Rocker would be suspended. 

Agreed. They really can't leave it up to the umpires to decide who is what race or ethnicity. It's an all or none proposition for a policy. 

Edited by ptatc

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

CaliSox. We called it "fastpitch" and played daily at McGreenwood School. If you called it the same thing, maybe you played against me. Kind of a coincidence we both called it "fastpitch." We also chalked up the wall of the school for strike zone and bought rubber balls (had to be a certain kind of ball to work) at the store on 107th street on the way. Mt Greenwood had a fence that stopped all the ground balls. If you blasted it over the fence, the bike was used as transportation to go get the ball. There were some houses past the fence for rooftop shots. Nobody ever complained. If the ball happened to hit a window, it would not break the window being a rubber ball.

Our LL manager would be furious if he found out we played fastpitch or went swimming on the day of a night LL game at MtGreenwood LL fields on 115th St.

We also played wiffle and softball on street corners and also played "running bases." Neighbors were a bit testy about the softball as those would break windowns.

Hmmm, u have to be from Mt. Greenwood. Neighbors wouldnt get too mad at us tearing up their grass to slide when playing running bases.

Unlike today, parents were not involved at all and let kids stay out until dark in the summer unsupervised. Nobody got kidnapped. Nobody got killed. Protective Parents have ruined it all for kids. If we really got lucky, after LL practice our manager would give us one or two bats and two balls and let us stay and play pick up baseball on our own. Most of the time there wasn't a lot of time to get a game in before official games began at 115th fields.

As far as Timmy, i don't know. I would think he'll deny using the n word and how the hell they going to prove that??? Believe a member of the royals? Don't think so.

Well we were both on the South Side but I was at 72nd and Wood street and the blacktop baseball was either played at St. Justin  and when we out grew that the local public school blacktop was much bigger, Raster Elementary. I worked for a few years in Mt Greenwood at 103rd and Western, 2 jobs sometimes right in a buildings close together, The White Hen Pantry and The Chicago Tribune Telephone Soliciting office. That was around when I was 18.19 and 20. Running bases was called "pickle" in a lot of places because it was basically trying to get out of being in a rundown .

Early in HS family moved to Oak Lawn and although a bit older would still play fast pitch when the opportunity arose. I would often hitchhike from Quigley South (79th and Western) to 103rd street then up 103rd street past Cicero Ave into Oak Lawn . You Alma Mater Brother Rice could be seen from 103rd Street and I played basketball too once in a while at St Xavier College.