Tim Anderson to be suspended 1 game for... language?

Jose Abreu

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Rob Manfred will shortly be introducing his latest great idea: the AS game rosters will now be comprised by race.  It will be a single elimination tournament.  White guys, Latin Guys, Black guys and Asian guys.  Dave Chappelle will announce the rosters.  Each team will get to draft one crossover race player.  With the 1st pick the Asians have selected Mike Trout.

Dave Chappelle would make anything entertaining. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Flythesock said:

Stop pretending that commonsense is so elusive. The lengths that old white people go to to protect their stranglehold...shit is fucked. 

So explain the common sense when a player yells the n word on the field. What is the common sense way the umpire is suppose to react? 

And interesting that this old white guy is advocating that NOBODY use the word on the field and you want to be certain the word live on. What exactly am I protecting? The end of that word from our speech? So yeah, I'm guilty as hell. If that ugly ass hurtful would and all it's variations is never spoken again, I think the world would be a better place. 

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Rob Manfred will shortly be introducing his latest great idea: the AS game rosters will now be comprised by race.  It will be a single elimination tournament.  White guys, Latin Guys, Black guys and Asian guys.  Dave Chappelle will announce the rosters.  Each team will get to draft one crossover race player.  With the 1st pick the Asians have selected Mike Trout.

Funny thing is I was about to post to ptatc to watch an old Dave Chappelle skit, but decided not to post. Then you go and post this. :lol:

Edited by SoxAce
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, SoxAce said:

Funny thing is I was about to post to ptatc to watch an old Dave Chappelle skit, but decided not to post. Then you go and post this. :lol:

I've seen it. It was awful when he stopped his show. It was great.

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

Exactly but making that call on what is acceptable is exactly what people what umpires to do. They want the umps to judge the player and decide if culturally that player should be allowed to use the n****a word or not. 

It’s not really that hard, if you’re not black don’t use the n word.  Context does matter and a black person using that word is not suggesting something racist or hateful.  The mean-spirited words Tim used were “weak ass” and those are incredibly tame relative to what other baseball players & coaches say to or in front of umpires on a regular basis.  Should Tim have been ejected and then suspended if he called Keller a “weak ass dude”, because that is the equivalent of what he said.  Again, you have to be completely out of touch with modern society or just straight up racist (not calling you either of these things BTW) to not get this and clearly MLB & Joe West fall into one of those two buckets.

I thought that it has already been agreed upon here that people in the Black culture use that term, in a slight variation, with an entirely different connotation. Therefore, what is the objection that people, outside of that culture, have to them using it? Moreover, who appointed them the "political correctness" police, for that issue? Again, Black people have earned the right to use the word, if they choose. 

• Thanks 1

I will say I’m proud of the Sox taking the high road after this all broke today. Cool to see the players supporting Timmy without letting it overshadow the games to be played. I’m sure that pompous manager on the other side of town would have told everyone how he’s right and they’re wrong.

22 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Man who the fuck black guy you know who gets offended by that? I'm very curious and trying not to laugh as a fellow (half) African American and one of the very few on this board (lost, J4L miss y'all).

Some co workers. We all used to work with a guy that liked to call just about all his African American co workers that. There were more than a couple that didn’t like it. One I thought was about to hurt him. Anderson meant it as a derogatory term obviously  and from what I can tell it was directed at a white player. Why would it be OK for him to say that if it was really bad if that player said it to him? Again, I think a suspension is ridiculous. The ejection to me is now warranted, as well as the fine.

If its a word that can never be uttered th

6 minutes ago, Texsox said:

So explain the common sense when a player yells the n word on the field. What is the common sense way the umpire is suppose to react? 

And interesting that this old white guy is advocating that NOBODY use the word on the field and you want to be certain the word live on. What exactly am I protecting? The end of that word from our speech? So yeah, I'm guilty as hell. If that ugly ass hurtful would and all it's variations is never spoken again, I think the world would be a better place. 

So you advocate for the elimination of all music that uses that word in any context.   Great that will go over well.   

Just now, Lillian said:

I thought that it has already been agreed upon here that people in the Black culture use that term, in a slight variation, with an entirely different connotation. Therefore, what is the objection that people, outside of that culture, have to them using it? Moreover, who appointed them the "political correctness" police, for that issue? Again, Black people have earned the right to use the word, if they choose. 

Imagine being white and having one of your core political issues being that blacks can say the n word (with said variation) towards each other and white people but that you can't say it.  

boggles the mind but some people weren't raised with good parents.

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

Use common sense?

What is common sense? We know if it is a white player not cool. If it is a black player, cool. Now what about everyone else? Do some Latino players get a pass others not? And what if an ump isn't certain of the race of the player? Does he ask? 

Now think about a policy that no one says it. Easy. Who is hurt? Are you telling me that Tim can't find another way to yell at another player? If all the other players can find a way to argue without dropping the n word, what can't TA?

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Do you trust an umpire like Joe West to use common sense? They need set rules to keep idiots like him from making judgement decisions.

oh totally, my post was tongue in cheek.  baseball itself created this scenario long before today because they had no official policy.  

@Texsox you're right, they need a policy.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

Simple, you are asking umpires to judge each player's race and make a call. Is that guy black or Latino? Is he white or bi-racial? It shouldn't be a judgement call by an umpire to decide the race of every player. 

1 minute ago, SoxAce said:

Giolito pretty much hit that shit out of the ballpark with his quote. I've long said he "just gets it" even last year at SoxFest so I'm not surprised. 

He seems like a uber-smart dude. 

But this is the line that stuck out most to me:

There was no public stirring or knowledge of Anderson’s language use before the league decided to take disciplinary action, yet they felt so uniquely motivated to take a supposedly principled stand that they clumsily entered a debate on the use of the n-word that they are ill-prepared for, when it was used in a forum which doubtlessly contains multitudes of other matters to address if it was thoroughly parsed.

1 minute ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

Suspension for language is bs. Fine him or make him take a sensitivity class

Sending an African American to sensitivity training for saying the n-word would cause an even bigger shit storm than this. 

• Like 2